Social Suicide by Gemma Halliday (Deadly Cool #2), 2012 Book
  • Once again, like in the first book, Hartley remains ridiculously witty, funny and entertaining, which was pleasant to read
  • Unfortunately, once again, most of the other characters remained a disappointment
  • Not a huge issue with the book, but still a bit strange
  • I think it lived up to the first book and it flowed on relatively well
  • I'd recommend this book to people who enjoyed the first book, as this one is quite similar

• by turtledove

After having finished ‘Deadly Cool’ (the first instalment of this series) quite quickly, I immediately moved onto the second book of the series. Although the plot from the first book hadn’t been exactly ‘incredible’, I had liked the protagonist a lot, and the book had held my attention. So, hoping for a good follow-up to the first book, I went straight into ‘Social Suicide’.

Once again, like in the first book, Hartley remains ridiculously witty, funny and entertaining, which was pleasant to read. Unfortunately, once again, most of the other characters remained a disappointment: especially Hartley’s main love interest, Chase (who we ALL know has had a thing for her for ages but

still can’t be bothered to actually do anything about it). I honestly think it’s such a shame that Halliday has managed to build up such a great character with some death in the form of Hartley, but was unable to follow it up with all the other less important ones.

Next, we come to the plot. Although I did like this one a little more, as it took me a lot longer to work out who the culprit was, I did find it to be very similar to the first book. A mysterious death which Hartley chooses to investigate, many other people getting hurt, lies (to people that Hartley really should not be

lying to), Hartley being in danger, with of course, a little bit of romantic tension between Chase and Hartley thrown in while on the case. But, although it may sound as though this might have been annoying, I didn’t actually dislike it. Even though the core of the book was almost the same as the first one, the plot, the way it was presented, the way it was investigated and the purpose behind it were all entirely different. I did enjoy the plot of the first book more, however I must say that this one kept me guessing until the very end - which is great: I love an unpredictable book.

But I ...

• Social Suicide by Gemma Halliday (Deadly Cool #2), 2012 Book
      still can’t really get over how this school isn’t more concerned about its students just getting murdered like this. I mean, of course they’re concerned, but it’s not as big of a deal as I’d think it should be. Not a huge issue with the book, but still a bit strange.

The writing was at roughly the same standard as the last one: not incredibly amazing, nor awful. It was mediocre, but it was good enough to put across the plot and build up some tension throughout the book. I also absolutely loved how this book had awkward moments involved! So many young adult fiction books present young love as being the most

perfect, magical, beautiful and smooth thing that could ever happen. Halliday is one of the first young adult authors I’ve read who has tapped into a few awkward moments and misunderstandings through the inevitable crush, which made the whole thing so much more realistic. For once, an unrealistic perfect picture of teenage romance hasn’t been painted!

Overall, I quite enjoyed this book. I think it lived up to the first book and it flowed on relatively well. Although I think that the first book was more interesting overall, this book was also pretty good, and it was more unpredictable. I’d recommend this book to people who enjoyed the first book, as this one is quite similar.

Andrew Leither says :

I would have never thought of this kind of title in ten life times but really good. “Social Suicide is a different kind of book I may sink into and enjoy. I liked the cover very much and very interesting.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1720061654730730/k2311a0620/6.20.16