X-Men: Apocalypse 2016 Superhero Movie
2.5
  • However, when someone I knew went and told me that the movie was great, I decided to see it for myself
  • While I understand that the storylines didn't exactly sync with the comic and the previous movies, at the same time I really enjoyed it because I made up my mind to forget about the comic, the cartoon and the other movies
  • I think that quite a bit of the dissatisfaction surrounding the movie had to do with the fact that there were a lot of inconsistencies with some of the previous films as well as the comics
  • It's action packed and it has an interesting plot

by Redtape

I read and heard a lot of bad reviews about the new X-Men: Apocalypse movie. This was from both dissatisfied movie goers and fans of the comic, thus I just wrote it off as a bad movie initially and put it out of my head. However, when someone I knew went and told me that the movie was great, I decided to see it for myself.

While I understand that the storylines didn’t exactly sync with the comic and the previous movies, at the same time I really enjoyed it because I made up my mind to forget about the comic, the cartoon and the other movies.

• X-Men: Apocalypse 2016 Superhero Movie
  • X-Men Apocalypse is a 2016 superhero movie that is based on the characters from the Marvel comics. The movie a sequel that takes place 10 years after the events of 2014’s X-Men: Days of Future Past.

The movie begins with a flashback to ancient Egypt where En Sabah Nur, believed to be the first and most powerful mutant attempts to transfer his consciousness to another mutant. However, he is stopped by a rebellion and rests at the bottom of a pyramid until 1983 when he is awoken.

One of the first mutants he meets is a young pickpocket, Ororo Munroe, who is able to control the weather. He saves her and she reciprocates by taking him back to her dwelling where she offers him hospitality. En Sabah Nur uses the radio waves transmitted to the television to understand more about the modern world. He then makes the decision to recruit the most powerful mutant soldiers so he could destroy the world and create another where only the most powerful mutants live.

Far away on the other side of the world, Professor Charles Xavier learns from Raven Darkholme or Mystique that Erik Lehnsherr or Magneto might be in trouble. However, their plans to help him are put on pause when they find out about En Sabah Nur. The mutants team up once again with new members to help fight the ancient mutant and save the world, while human beings grow suspicious of their intentions.

• X-Men: Apocalypse 2016 Superhero Movie
  • While I did enjoy the movie, I can definitely understand why some X-Men fans did not. I think that quite a bit of the dissatisfaction surrounding the movie had to do with the fact that there were a lot of inconsistencies with some of the previous films as well as the comics.

I have watched all the X-Men movies in the franchise from the very first one was released in the year 2000. Therefore I agree that it can be a little off-putting when some of the characters and their backstories change instead of remaining consistent.

For example, when the mutant Nightcrawler first appeared in the X-Men movie franchise in X2: X-Men United, which was released in 2003, he was meeting the X-Men for the first time. However, if you follow X-Men: Apocalypse, which is supposed to be a flashback, he actually fights with the X-Men against En Sabah Nur.

• X-Men: Apocalypse 2016 Superhero Movie
  • A part from certain glaring inconsistencies, I did think that some scenes were very action packed, and suspenseful. I’m not exactly sure how those scenes will look once the movie is on television, but I thought that they were positively mindblowing in 3D at the movie theatre.

I think my favourite parts of the movie when it came to action had to be a toss up between the battle with Angel and Nightcrawler in an underground fight club or the part near to the end when all the mutants are trying to fight both Magneto and En Sabah Nur.

• X-Men: Apocalypse 2016 Superhero Movie
  • Something I can say that I was definitely disappointed with was who they cast as Storm. Now I thought that the actress herself, Alexandra Shipp did a fine job in portraying the character. However, I was just as disappointed in her appearance as I was appearance-wise in 2000 when Halle Berry was casted.

The thing is I am one of those people who was following the comic and the cartoons from the 90s and I remember that she was supposed to be of Kenyan origin with white hair and blue eyes. I automatically interpreted that to mean that she would be darker skinned with white hair and blue eyes. Storm was even darker skinned in some of the comics, so I can’t really understand why they decided to eliminate that aspect of her appearance and cast someone who they “think” might appease audiences more.

• X-Men: Apocalypse 2016 Superhero Movie
  • On the other hand, I was skeptical at first about them casting English actress Sophie Turner as Jean Grey. Even though she’s known to most people as Sansa Stark from Game of Thrones and I think she does a great job portraying her character, at the same time I wasn’t completely sure that she would be able to play someone with an American accent, and portray such a different character well.

However Sophie completely surprised me. She was so good that I was able to forget that she is Sansa Stark and think of her for the time being as Jean Grey.

If you’re a real fan and you definitely don’t mind looking past some of the inaccuracies in the movie, there’s a great chance that you might actually like X-Men: Apocalypse just as much as I did. It’s action packed and it has an interesting plot.

Andrew Leither says :

I have seen this movie several times, and must admit that with your review, the pictures that compliment your review are really great and I intend to watch it again I was never disappointed once in the story line and production and characters of the movie.

Andrew Leaither says :

En Sabah Nur uses the radio waves transmitted to the television to understand more about the modern world. I thought this was interesting to add. I have seen “X-Men:” movies, but not this one the movie trailer was fantastic and very impressive. I know I must see this movie as well so much action and suspense.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1120061654720730/k2311a0620/6.20.16