The Crown by Kiera Cass, 2016 Book (The Selection #5)  » Books  »
1.0
  • After four books, none of which I enjoyed, we come to the final (hopefully, considering Kiera Cass enjoys extending her book series) installment of 'The Selection' series
  • I know, I know - don't judge a book by its cover - but what could I do
  • But, I think the romantic aspect of the book (which was, naturally, a huge chunk of the book) could have been presented so much better
  • The entire thing didn't seem well thought out at all, and I was once again (unsurprisingly) disappointed
  • I wouldn't really recommend this book to anybody, unless you just really enjoyed the previous books in this series, or you're like me and have to finish a series once you've started it

• by turtledove

So, we come to the end of this five book, unnecessarily drawn-out series. After four books, none of which I enjoyed, we come to the final (hopefully, considering Kiera Cass enjoys extending her book series) installment of ‘The Selection’ series. The first three books focused on America Singer and her participation in Prince Maxon’s selection, while the fourth book and this one revolve around Eadlyn Schreave (America and Maxon’s daughter) and how her selection proceeds.

Once again, we have another gorgeous cover. You know, the covers are the thing that drew me into this series. I know, I know - don’t judge a book by its cover - but what could I do: look at that cover. It’s just beautiful. It just doesn’t really reflect what actually happens in the book anymore - I feel like the covers with the pretty girls

in gorgeous dresses have just become a tradition with The Selection Series, and even though it’s not particularly relevant to the actual content of the last book, it was there to maintain the continuity of the series. I must confess though - it’s an absolutely gorgeous cover.

So, Eadlyn Schreave, our protagonist. While she’s still still a bit annoying, thankfully, she spares us of the relentless whining and moaning that we saw in ‘The Heir’. She does seem to grow up a little bit and she does seem to mature a bit with the situation her family is.

BUT. By NO means does this mean that the huge responsibility that is given to her should be. This girl can barely communicate with other people without offending them, and she doesn’t think through her actions properly, and somehow she’s being made the Queen of Illea just like that? I understand the whole thing of her family being in a crisis and Eadlyn wanting to take charge and help her family, but this all just seemed so rushed and it seemed like Kiera Cass decided to just cram it into the book to improve our opinion of Eadlyn or something.

I can tell you something for sure: it didn’t.

Next we come onto the love interests. Of course in this book the love interests were always going to be one of the most important things, considering the whole book revolves around the concept of having a competition to marry the heir of the country. But, I think the romantic aspect of the book (which was, naturally, a huge chunk of the book) could have been presented so much better. I’m not even sure why some of ...

• The Crown by Kiera Cass, 2016 Book (The Selection #5)
      the love interests were even seen as serious characters: take Henri, for example - he just seems like a child throughout the entire process, and I honestly had no idea what he was doing for most of the book. Yes, he was sweet, but a childish sweet, not a love-interest-attractive sweet.

I’d rather not spoil the ending for those who haven’t yet read the book, but I didn’t enjoy the ending at all. I felt like it was just a way of making Eadlyn seem rebellious, and to make it look like she was going against the rules and doing what she wanted her way, and making a lasting impact on the country while doing it. The entire thing didn’t seem well thought out at all, and I was once again (unsurprisingly) disappointed.

Finally, we come to the writing. The description just

didn’t work for me, but at least it was bearable. However, the dialogue was undeniably painful to read. All of Eadlyn’s conversations with her suitors were exactly the same, and that too, inexplicably awkward. The dialogue just became predictable and boring beyond a point, which was not particularly enjoyable to read.

Overall, I didn’t enjoy this book much at all. I didn’t particularly like any of the characters, nor did I like the plot, nor did I like the writing. I genuinely think that the concept behind this series meant that it had a lot of potential, but it just didn’t work out with the plot, characters and writing that surrounded the core idea. I wouldn’t really recommend this book to anybody, unless you just really enjoyed the previous books in this series, or you’re like me and have to finish a series once you’ve started it.

abubakari sumaila says :

re : I know, I know - don’t judge a book by its cover - but what could I do
actually i don’t judge a book by it’s cover, but this book looks like it talks about a princess from a foreign country.and the girl is so beautiful,and that makes the cover to attract more people to read.
GOOD JOB. keep it up

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1716061654690730/k2311a0616/6.16.16