Zoolander 2016 Comedy Movie  » Movies  »
1.0
  • At one point in my life the movie Zoolander became on of my favourite comedies
  • On the other hand, the jokes in Zoolander 2 were either recycled from the old movie or were not funny and didn't make sense at all
  • I didn't find that funny and I thought it made even less sense
  • Unfortunately a lot of the dialogue in Zoolander 2 was very flat, dead and made absolutely no sense
  • I would not recommend the sequel, Zoolander 2 to fans of the previous movie because this one is just plain awful

by Redtape

At one point in my life the movie Zoolander became on of my favourite comedies. Therefore I was ecstatic to know that they were thinking of making a sequel. However, by the time I saw the trailer I could already tell that it wasn’t going to be as hilarious as the first one. After watching it recently I realised that I was right. It was literally one of the worst movies I had watched in a while, and I had to force myself to sit through it.
  • Zoolander 2016 Comedy Movie
  • When the movie begins we get a brief flashback of the events that followed the prequel. Derek Zoolander the famous male model and international hero married the woman he was in love with, Matilda Jefferies, and had a son with her. He also went on to execute his dream of building the “Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can’t Read Good”. However, disaster befell him and his family. The building, which was made out of feeble materials collapsed killing Matilda.

Derek struggled to take care of his son Derek Jr., and the child was eventually rescued by child services. After all that Derek decided to live the rest of his life in seclusion.

Years later Derek receives a message from international fashion icon Alexanya Atoz to attend a fashion show. At first he refuses stating that he has retired from modelling. However the messenger, an old friend of his, persuades him by saying it might help him get his son back.

Both Derek and his former arch-rival Hansel both come out of retirement in the hope of making a comeback in the fashion industry. Nevertheless, they soon discover that not only has the world changed, but that they must once again save it from an old and familiar villain.

• Zoolander 2016 Comedy Movie
  • One of the reason why this movie was such a disaster was because it was just plain trying too hard. The main reason why I loved the prequel was because it was so effortless in its attempt to make fun of the fashion industry. Some of the jokes were even silly, but the greatest thing about it was that they were fresh, hilarious and not forced.

On the other hand, the jokes in Zoolander 2 were either recycled from the old movie or were not funny and didn’t make sense at all. For example, Hansel is in a polyamorous relationship, but there was the scene where all his partners no matter the age or gender got pregnant for him. I didn’t find that funny and I thought it made even less sense.

• Zoolander 2016 Comedy Movie
  • There were also too many times when the dialogue and the plot made absolutely no sense. This isn’t to say that the prequel Zoolander didn’t also have its flaws, but the non-nonsensical parts were generally humourous. I can give a few examples of parts in the dialogue that made absolutely no sense, but the main thing is that the dialogue never fell flat.

Unfortunately a lot of the dialogue in Zoolander 2 was very flat, dead and made absolutely no sense. This made the movie even worse because there was no humour or punchline to save it.

• Zoolander 2016 Comedy Movie
  • One of the reasons why the first Zoolander movie was so iconic was because of the portrayal of each character, in particular the main ones. There was a lot of truth in it coupled with a bit of exaggeration and that’s what helped make it so funny and memorable.

The character portrayals in Zoolander 2 however weren’t as great. It was as if the actors themselves weren’t feeling it this time around. For example, I loved the concept of the character Alexanya Atoz and I even have my suspicions as to who she was inspired by. However, I don’t think that she was used very well in the storyline and I don’t think Kristin Wiig did her much justice at all.

• Zoolander 2016 Comedy Movie
  • One scene I definitely gave Zoolander 2 credit for was what I thought was the funniest scene in the entire movie. In the scene, Benedict Cumberbatch plays “All” the gender binary model who is making waves in the international fashion industry.

I found it to be massively hilarious because when Derek Zoolander meets All for the first time, he is massively confused. Thus is born an extremely awkward scene where Zoolander is trying not to be offensive but is still curious as to whether as Hansel puts it, All has “a hot dog or a bun?”

I would not recommend the sequel, Zoolander 2 to fans of the previous movie because this one is just plain awful. It would have been really nice if they had gotten someone to at least look over the script and see whether the ideas made sense.

The only reason I’m rating it as two and not one is because I thought that scene with All was hilarious enough to save the entire movie.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1116061654670730/k2311a0616/6.16.16