The Lobster (2015 Film)  » Movies  »
  • I found the empty/awkward humour across the film works because it is coupled by the same empty-driven cinematography that compliments the tone of the film very well
  • The first part is also the part where the story is very interesting, very intriguing, very darkly comic which is the reason why I love that part unlike the second
  • In fact I like the romance in the first part of the film, where the characters are set off to find their partners because for me, it is more truer and honest than what they did in the second part
  • I find it stretched and I think many scenes could be cut in order to save more important minutes

by Laudemhir Jan Parel

Never in my life had I felt very weird and astonished at the same time after watching a film. A lot of times I felt very weird and strange though, one after watching Paolo Sorrentino’s 2015 film Youth, however, not feeling astonished at the same but rather awkward and looking for something more. That film never satisfied me, with its great visuals and outstanding cinematography/scenography yet lackluster storytelling.

Yorgos Lanthimos’ “The Lobster” however, is the perfect combination of strange and satisfying. It’s one of those far-stretched film that is very effective. It’s out-of-this-world storyline is pretty easy to grasp for its audience, and its visuals sure for a treat to those who watch it.

• The Lobster (2015 Film)
  • There is so much oddity in The Lobster. It is a film set in the distant future where single people are forced to go into a hotel where they have to find their partner in the span of 45 days otherwise they will be turned into an animal. Its artsy weirdness however, made a lot of impressions upon me. It is mostly a satiric creation that holds true even for today’s generation.

I am pretty sure no weirder film will top this film this year. This film works because even with its world full of absurdities, it is eye-catchingly unique and is very surprisingly entertaining for the viewers. I found the empty/awkward humour across the film works because it is coupled by the same empty-driven cinematography that compliments the tone of the film very well.

• The Lobster (2015 Film)
  • The performances of the main characters are no doubt very flattering. Despite the fact that they will have to deal with the empty and lonely feeling of their bizarre world, they manage to overcome any emptiness by use of humour and awkwardness. I don’t know what else but the film is really a weird combination of fun and strange. It is not a comedy by any means but there is a sheer amount of scenes here that made me laugh out loud.

Some characters are straight out horrifying, because their actors play them like they’re supposed to be portrayed. For example, a female so heartless is portrayed as a female that is even more heartless. And that’s what I really loved about this film, the characters are totally flawed and the actors portrayed them with so much passion and love for their characters.

• The Lobster (2015 Film)
  • I don’t know if I’m quite satisfied with the two-story part of the film. The first part is where the main character stays in the hotel for 45 days until he found his partner. The second part is where he sets off in the woods in order to be freed from the cruel staffs of the hotel.

The first part of the film is where the humour is all around. It seems like the actors are reading cue cards every time they speak, and they do speak very little. They never look into the camera but rather on the side of it which makes it more the weirder. The first part is also the part where the story is very interesting, very intriguing, very darkly comic which is the reason why I love that part unlike the second.

• The Lobster (2015 Film)
  • The second, albeit as intriguing as the first, lost its spark. It divulged into the very serious category that becomes a not-so entertaining to watch. And the empty awkwardness that is present in the first part of the film is mostly missing here. Sometimes I wonder if it was directed by the same director as the first because it is almost completely different.

The romance of the film is not really that great here, although that is probably because they don’t have to time to develop. In fact I like the romance in the first part of the film, where the characters are set off to find their partners because for me, it is more truer and honest than what they did in the second part. The second part romance is just kind of there because it needs to exist but it doesn’t work.

• The Lobster (2015 Film)
  • The cinematography of the film is one of the higher points of the movie. The picture above says it all. Despite the emptiness of the frame, no production designs, no other objects but just them, it is still dramatic. And it certainly works with the “emptiness” vibe of the whole film.

The music, I’m not impressed so much. It’s very Italian operatic but I don’t actually like it. It almost share the same with the film Youth.

The editing is a so-so, I do feel like it is a film that is 5 times its runtime. I find it stretched and I think many scenes could be cut in order to save more important minutes.

Nonetheless, this is a thought-provoking film that will make you question if human stupidity truly exists. Out of all the weirdness and oddities this film delivered, there are still true and sophisticated wonders in this world that needs to be explored, and this film just did that. It is formed out of question, and it leaves you out with “what ifs?” without turning into the science-fiction genre so that it could leave us (the viewers) the feeling that indeed, this film might be true.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 116061654580730/k2311a066/6.6.16