The 400 Blows (1959 Classic Film)  » Movies  »
  • Not a lot of movies made me cry, but this one just, and I think that's because I was able to relate to the boy's quest for liberty and search for truth
  • The reason why I don't like being with boys much was because I don't think it was worth it to keep with them especially in this one-horse town I live in
  • As a film buff, I know for sure that this is the kind of film that immediately becomes a favorite of mine

• by Laudemhir Jan Parel

I have recently been introduced in world cinema with this Francois Truffaut film, and to my surprise, I seriously love this masterful class of work. At first, it seems like just a typical film that I keep on ignoring every time my television plays some black and white film, but after finishing this one I was pretty much stunned. This film floored me real bad, it hit all the right notes in my heart and I literally cried when the credits rolled in. Not a lot of movies made me cry, but this one just, and I think that’s because I was able to relate to the boy’s quest for liberty and search for truth.

I have been pretty much misunderstood back in the days, people called me things such as “gay” because I don’t have a lot of boy friends. I have like a lot of girl friends though and

I have been with them ever since. See, society has a way of telling you and creating such elusive lines of being like this and like that and I just hate that. They don’t even let me reason for it. The reason why I don’t like being with boys much was because I don’t think it was worth it to keep with them especially in this one-horse town I live in. Like 90% of them made the left turn to drugs, alcohol and whatnot and I don’t want that. So instead I went to the ones who I knew I could trust without living the bad life, and I’m now quite happy and proud with what I did.

The film was not certainly like that but that’s how I see and perceived it. It’s all about society’s misunderstanding. And it hurts even more that I saw this understanding from a view of an innocent child. It stars Jean-Pierre Leaud as a young boy who was also misunderstood. He was left without attention and was being punished for is wrongdoings without even realizing why is it that he was always being punished. And my heart aches because I think he was really innocent, and society fails to see that. He doesn’t understand why he has to go to school and learn things like Algebra and Science but nobody ever explains to him so he stopped going there. So he went on wandering around the roads of Paris at night and delves into stealing. This film perfectly executes a major root of crime in the world. People who are deprived of love, parental attention, etc. are mostly the ones who wander around the streets to become criminals without ever knowing so.

Jean-Pierre Leaud’s performance was above all others, I can’t believe he was able ...

• The 400 Blows (1959 Classic Film)
      to pull it off at such a young age. He’s pretty much poignant and vulnerable, yet he was able to carry the film like how it should have been. He was very stunning in front of the camera, and he speaks with so much sense in his dialogue. When he went on wandering at night because he has nowhere to sleep I really pitied him. And I said, “I hope no one ever feels like that.” I just literally felt an arrow straight to my heart, and that ending was just a bomb. It was such an iconic ending that I think will forever remain one of my favorites. My heart was really racing despite seeing just a boy running around, without music. It was a catharsis, and from then I knew what a great film it was.

This film was regarded as the first film of the New Wave French

cinema, I don’t know much about it but I knew it revolved around new ways of storytelling and camerawork. The camerawork in this film is just flawless, it’s been getting rave reviews from film enthusiasts because it’s of intelligent camerawork.

The soundtrack of the film is also one of its many great points, I seriously love it, it fits the tone of the film perfectly. Right until the end where it becomes prominent, and where it wraps the film perfectly.

Kudos to the director of this for creating such masterpiece. As a film buff, I know for sure that this is the kind of film that immediately becomes a favorite of mine. And to you my friend, I know most of you will ignore classic films because of their black and white quality, but I’ll tell you this, “You will get to understand some people once you see it.” It’s a gem.

Kevin Lamb says :

re : Not a lot of movies made me cry, but this one just, and I think that’s because I was able to relate to the boy’s quest for liberty and search for truth
This movie is a classic. It was edgy and taboo at the time of us premier and still resonates with audiences today, filled with emotional turmoil.

Laudemhir Jan Parel replies :

Truly it is. I’m really glad that at my young age (19), I was able to watch a lot of classic movies and love them, such a sad fact that most people as young as me don’t have any idea how great the cinema was before its current glory. And yes, this film is truly an emotional turmoil.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1124051654310731/k2311a0524/5.24.16