Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories, anime  » TV  »
  • In fact I think that it would be more accurate to say that the animation used is more experimental
  • On the other hand, there are some episodes that I found silly and weird, like they were just fillers for something else
  • The VHS is literally wrapped up in black tape when the boy takes it out, which I guess is the first sign that something is definitely wrong with it
  • I guess the only real problem I had with Yamishibai
  • I recommend it to horror and anime fans because it's very entertaining

by Redtape

I was looking for a new Japanese Anime to watch and someone recommended that I try one called Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories. However, I had my reservations about it because once I took a look at it, the animation was very different from a lot of other Japanese anime that I was interested in watching, and so I didn’t really know what to make of it.

However, since I’m a horror fan I went along and told myself I was going to try watching just one episode, and that one became that two and after a while that two became three entire seasons.

• Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories
  • Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories is an animated Japanese series. It has three seasons. In it an old man tells ghost stories from the back of his bicycle using a Japanese kamishibai or paper drama method to children playing in a playground. Each of the stories are different and most seem to have their roots in Japanese superstition. This becomes the introduction for each of the episodes in seasons one and two.

By the third season the introduction changes. The narrator is now a little boy drawing illustrations of the main character and the creatures in the story. As he draws he sings, “Friends on that side, come to this side… Friends on this side, go to that side…”.

At first the relationship between the two narrators is curious. However, it becomes revealed in the last episode that they are one and the same person or creature, leading children to the “other side”.

• Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories
  • The animation as previously mentioned is a bit different from the usual Japanese Animation style. In fact I think that it would be more accurate to say that the animation used is more experimental. I have to admit that it was slightly off-putting for me when I first began watching the series, as a part of me thought that it was a bit lazy with its picture-story format and I couldn’t understand if the style of animation had any significance in the series.

Nevertheless, it is all revealed to be significant by the end of the series. It was fitting because the picture-story drawings and the childlike drawings of some of the monsters are actually illustrations from the little boy narrator’s sketch pad.

• Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories
  • While the series might sounds fairly tame, I actually thought that some of the episodes are actually quite terrifying. Let this be known that this is coming from someone who has grown up on horror movies and books, and has considered herself practically desensitized to a lot of things. Each episode is never more than about four minutes and thirty seconds, but despite the animation, it’s the stories that make everything so frightening.

On the other hand, there are some episodes that I found silly and weird, like they were just fillers for something else. There were also others that I didn’t really understand. However there were others that were so messed up that they had me up for hours trying not to be too paranoid.

• Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories
  • There were a number of episodes that I found to be frightening or just plain creepy, but even out of those there were some that definitely stood out. One of those in particular had to be the episode where three boys are supposed to be doing an assignment, but they opt to watch a supposedly haunted VHS tape.

Now I watched movies like “The Ring” so it was obvious to me what was going to happen, but it still didn’t prepare me for how chilling the episode was. I was so rattled by it that I had to take a break.

The VHS is literally wrapped up in black tape when the boy takes it out, which I guess is the first sign that something is definitely wrong with it. After the boys get it running, all the can see is a video of an old creepy cemetery that seems to run on for a long while. However, after a while the boy closest to the television spots something humanlike next to one of the graves. It keeps getting closer until eventually the boy notices that his friends aren’t responding to him anymore.

• Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories
  • I guess the only real problem I had with Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories is that it ended too quickly for my comfort. To my great disappointment, I managed to breeze through all three seasons in just a few days, even though I didn’t exactly have much time to spare.

On the other hand, I do know that had the series lasted much longer, or had the episodes gotten longer the risk of it decreasing in quality would also have gotten higher.

If you like anime and you also like horror then this series is probably right up your alley. Don’t be deterred by the animation like I was at first. I recommend it to horror and anime fans because it’s very entertaining.

Santos says :

Japoneses are amazing good in horror movies and horror stories,I have checked and seen some of the best anim horror stories,this is amazing,they can make good horror ghost stories like no other can.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1019051654280131/k2311a0519/5.19.16