Kill Your Darlings (2013 Biographical Drama Movie)
  • I ignored it a bunch of times while it was being aired on cable television channels because I always had this notion that it wouldn't be very interesting
  • When he gets there he doesn't have much experience with the ways of the world, as he previously spent much of his time taking care of his mentally ill mother
  • I thought that the acting in Kill Your Darlings was superb
  • It's an intense movie, and I think that it managed to portray the passion that drove those young men during that era

by Redtape

It seems I waited an age to watch the movie Kill Your Darlings. I ignored it a bunch of times while it was being aired on cable television channels because I always had this notion that it wouldn’t be very interesting. It was only after watching it last night, that I realised how wrong I was.
  • Kill Your Darlings (2013 Biographical Drama Movie)
  • In the movie Kill Your Darlings, the famous American Beat Generation poet Allen Ginsberg is accepted to Columbia University in the 1940s. When he gets there he doesn’t have much experience with the ways of the world, as he previously spent much of his time taking care of his mentally ill mother.

Very soon after he arrives, Allen becomes acquainted with the infamous Beat Generation muse, Lucien Carr as well as other people who were either directly or indirectly involved. This includes William S. Burroughs and Jack Kerouac.

Lucien’s anti-establishment beliefs are enough to reel Allen into his world of drugs, rowdiness and contravention. It is also enough to help him find his voice as a poet in a world were only the conventional is respected.

However, everything falls to pieces soon after when he realises that he has fallen in love with Lucien, and then when Lucien becomes the main suspect of a gruesome murder.

• Kill Your Darlings (2013 Biographical Drama Movie)
  • I thought that the acting in Kill Your Darlings was superb. To be honest, I’ve never really been very familiar with the poet Allen Ginsberg, and so I don’t really know if the actor Daniel Radcliffe did a very good impression of him, especially during that time.

However, what I can say is that I was positively taken by Dane DeHaan’s impression of Lucien Carr. Like Ginsberg, I wasn’t familiar with Carr or his role as a muse in the Beat Generation before watching the movie. Nevertheless, I did find his performance gripping and it was easy for me to understand why someone like Allen Ginsberg could be influenced by him so much.

• Kill Your Darlings (2013 Biographical Drama Movie)
  • One of the criticisms of the movie Kill Your Darlings that I would see from time to time was about the portrayal of David Kammerer’s character. It wasn’t necessarily how the actor Michael C. Hall had portrayed him, but what he was portrayed as on screen. Some people claimed that the movie portrayed him a bit too much like a victim, and Lucien Carr’s son Caleb Carr was one of them.

According to what I’ve read, Caleb believes that Kammerer was a sexual predator who stalked and preyed on Lucien after meeting him as a young teenager.

What I personally think about all of this is that no one really knows what happened between the both of them a part from the murder, and the only one who could have told the entire story would have been Lucien.

• Kill Your Darlings (2013 Biographical Drama Movie)
  • I also felt that one of the things that made the movie so gripping was because of the passion that the characters showed for their art, and how they took it so seriously especially in a time when it seemed that most people were more concerned about the war. In addition, I thought that it was incredibly inspirational that these creative people were passionate enough to bypass convention.

For example, there is a part close to the end of the movie where Allen decides that he would rather be expelled from school rather than conform to their way of thinking.

• Kill Your Darlings (2013 Biographical Drama Movie)
  • One of my favourite parts in the movie had to be where they pull the prank in the library at night. I loved it because I thought it was one of the most suspenseful parts in the entire movie since there was a point where the trio nearly get caught doing the misdeed.

Nevertheless, Lucien manages to escape after being literally held at bay by the guards, and it remains a mystery who or which group of students carried out the exploit.

I recommend the movie “Kill Your Darlings” to those who like biographical dramas. It’s an intense movie, and I think that it managed to portray the passion that drove those young men during that era.

Alexis Martinez says :

I have huge respect for both actors Dane DeHaan and Daniel Radcliffe. I was rather taken aback by the homosexuality involved in this movie because, for a moment, I was convinced that both guys were gay. This is also accompanied by that both guys actually kiss well haha. For an actor to effectively showcase the character he portrays requires incredible talent. For both DeHaan and Radcliffe to be able to convince the audience that your character is actually gay just shows how well they were able to communicate their talent and efforts to the viewers of their movie “Kill Your Darlings.”

Andrew Leith says :

This was a great movie and Dane DeHaan and Daniel Radcliffe have great chemistry working well together with the characters. Kill Your Darlings was appropriate name for movie title. Very good entertaining movie.

Andrew Leither says :

I must say that I have never heard of this movie and it looks great. I even looked at the movie trailer that you inserted into the review and it made it more real, refreshing and with substance you did great job with the review and pictures I know that I have to see this movie.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1115041653870730/k2311a0415/4.15.16