Spy (2015 Comedy Action Spy Movie)  » Movies  »
  • I generally detest most movies with the comedian Melissa McCarthy playing a major role in them because I just don't think she's that funny
  • However, when I was sitting in the theatre watching another movie and I saw the trailer for this one I decided, Hey, why not give this one a chance
  • As a matter of fact I thought that it was somewhere in the average range in terms of the rating I would give it because while it did have a potentially exciting and funny plot, I think that there were some things that kept ruining it
  • However, what I thought ruined a lot of them was that they either kept resurfacing over and over or whoever was writing or filming it didn't seem to know not to spend too long on a joke
  • Had the movie played more on her weight, I believe that it would have helped to cheapen it

by Redtape

I generally detest most movies with the comedian Melissa McCarthy playing a major role in them because I just don’t think she’s that funny. However, when I was sitting in the theatre watching another movie and I saw the trailer for this one I decided, “Hey, why not give this one a chance?”

I could see actors such as Jude Law and Jason Statham in it, so I was interested to see exactly what was going to come out of it. Besides, I couldn’t really imagine Jude Law being in a movie that completely bombed right? It turns out I was only partially wrong about that.

• Spy (2015 Comedy Action Spy Movie)
  • In the movie Susan Cooper who is played by Melissa McCarthy is a desk-bound CIA employee. Her job is to be the eyes and ears of her co-worker, field agent Bradley Fine (Jude Law) who she has the largest crush on. One day while Fine is in the field, he accidentally shoots and kills the criminal Tihomir Boyanov who is the only one who has the knowledge of where a suitcase nuke is located.

In an attempt to remedy the situation, the agency decides to send Fine to Boyanov’s daughter’s house after they find out that she might also have knoweledge of where the nuke is being kept. Boyanov’s daughter, Rayna murders Fine while Susan watches online.

Susan volunteers to become a field agent since she is perhaps one of the few people whose face Rayna does not know, and because she wants to take revenge on her for the murder of Agent Fine. Thus Susan finds herself breaking free of her comfort zone and pushing to solve a dangerous case with lots of twists and turns.

• Spy (2015 Comedy Action Spy Movie)
  • I didn’t find the movie funny, but I didn’t think that it was too bad either. As a matter of fact I thought that it was somewhere in the average range in terms of the rating I would give it because while it did have a potentially exciting and funny plot, I think that there were some things that kept ruining it.

A lot of the jokes in the movie were a little silly but they did make me laugh from time to time. However, what I thought ruined a lot of them was that they either kept resurfacing over and over or whoever was writing or filming it didn’t seem to know not to spend too long on a joke. There is such a thing as a joke going stale and that’s what happened a lot.

For example, there were some of the scenes with the character Aldo. I thought that Aldo’s stereotypical sexual prowess was funny at first, but after a while the joke became very drawn out and hard to watch on screen. It actually made me uncomfortable.

• Spy (2015 Comedy Action Spy Movie)
  • Then I also remember the scene where Susan and the Agency go through the camera of the man who died after he placed a bomb in the bag that he swapped with field agent Rick Ford (Jason Statham). At first it looks as if they’ve found some interesting information that is relevant to the case, until they realise that the man has also taken pictures of his genitals as well.

Now I thought that the scene had the potential to be funny especially for those like me who don’t mind the occasional dirty joke. However, the problem that I had with it was that I thought one or two pictures should have appeared for a split second or more. Instead I thought it dragged on for a bit too long.

• Spy (2015 Comedy Action Spy Movie)
  • One thing that I was definitely looking forward to when watching the movie Spy was a fair amount of action. One of the reasons would be because it’s supposed to be a spy film and another reason was because I saw Jason Statham in it. It seems I was a bit wrong about that though.

First of all, while there is some amount of action it is in the bare minimum. Therefore I don’t get to see many stunts, so I guess if you’re looking for something like Kingsman you can forget about it.

I think that only maybe the last couple of scenes had the most action in the movie, and it’s nothing really worth talking about. There is one point where Susan chases the bad guy and hangs on to a helicopter, and I remember thinking that the most thrilling part of this was that she might fall and drown or if there are catfish living in a lake like that in that side of the world.

• Spy (2015 Comedy Action Spy Movie)
  • One thing that I was grateful for was that Melissa McCarthy’s character Susan and the entire movie didn’t exist solely on fat jokes. While there are a few that played on her appearance, her character looked good enough for the most part and it manages to maintain somewhat of a balance.

Had the movie played more on her weight, I believe that it would have helped to cheapen it. However, I did find her disguises hilarious.

If you’re looking for something along the lines of Kingsman, then this movie is obviously not for you. It certainly doesn’t have enough action and the like to be such. However, if you don’t mind dirty jokes you can probably take a crack at it.

Palesa says :

re : I generally detest most movies with the comedian Melissa McCarthy playing a major role in them because I just don’t think she’s that funny
Well I find Mellisa McCathy very funny, and enjoy the movie more when she’s playing the lead role, simply because it means she will be in almost every scene and more laughter for me,and I don’t even get tired of watching her, even when you repeat the movie, you still laugh all over again , movies she’s in identity thief, Tammy ect can watch every week without getting bored.

Andrew Leith says :

I think it was a great movie and Mellisa McCathy was outstandingly funny and hilarious and did great job in playing in the lead role. Her role in other movies just as great, and very entertaining.

Palesa says :

re : However, when I was sitting in the theatre watching another movie and I saw the trailer for this one I decided, Hey, why not give this one a chance
I saw the trailer while watching another movie, but just when I saw Mellisa McCathy I knew this one is my kind of a movie and I must watch because I am a fan of Mellisa and comedy.

Petar says :

The best thing that Melissa said is,it will pull his dick and stick to the his face so him look like a limp-dick unicorn :D

Jeremy says :

She is very funny and talented. She’s one of the reasons why this movie was created as one the funniest movies to watch

Santana says :

I love Melissa McCarthy and I try to watch everything she’s in. This was a really great cast and I thought it was really funny But not as great as the previews hyped it up to be. It was still very funny and worth seeing.

Rochelle says :

Melissa McCarthy is more than just funny. She is such a great actor, Her personality of her characters are perfect. Her charaters all play the part. As in they suit her perfectly. She may swear alot in them and so she should. I love Melissa McCarthy. Yes

Rumba says :

Totally agree with you. She can be funny, but also she can be serious, if the role demands it. For example, in the movie “St. Vincent”, where her companions were Bill Murray and Naomi Watts, her acting was brilliant, however it was comedy-drama.

John says :

I would definitely say I’m a fan of Melissa McCarthy although I’m not a fan of a lot of things she’s in. I find that she manages to make poorly directed/written movies into slightly better movies, like “Identity Thief”, which is by no means a “great movie” but she does manage to make me laugh a few times, something that Jason Bateman (another actor I love) fails to do in that same movie.
Meanwhile you look at what are generally considered to be her best roles/movies and they all have one thing in common, Paul Feig. Feig not only gives her the best material but also he knows how to get an amazing performance out of her. Not to say she isn’t talented but how a director works with an actor/actress does make a big difference.

Liliana says :

Pretty funny movie, but there is a surprising nsfw photo that pops up in the movie, so be warned. The acting is good and the special effects are well done.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1111031653550631/k2311a0311/3.11.16