Spotlight (2015 Drama Movie)  » Movies  »
  • Thus I did a little bit of my own research on it and saw that the topic was definitely something that I would be interested in
  • What piqued my interest about the movie even more was that there was a scene from it played during the ceremony that I thought was extremely shocking
  • As a result it became hard for me to identify who did the best job with their character
  • I recommend this movie to those who like dramas
  • Not only is it well done, but it's an emotionally gripping story about a very serious issue

by Redtape

I was not even aware the film Spotlight existed until I saw that it was nominated for several Academy Awards. Thus I did a little bit of my own research on it and saw that the topic was definitely something that I would be interested in. What piqued my interest about the movie even more was that there was a scene from it played during the ceremony that I thought was extremely shocking.

I ended up watching the movie for myself, and I understood why it ended up getting the “Best Picture” award.

• Spotlight (2015 Drama Movie)
  • In case you haven’t heard about it yet, the movie was actually based on how the investigative journalism of the Boston Globe newspaper’s “Spotlight” team managed to bring child sexual abuse by Roman Catholic priests to light in the early 2000s.

When the movie begins, the newspaper hires a new editor Marty Baron. It is around the same time that the Spotlight team is brainstorming ideas for their next big project. Nevertheless, shortly after arriving Baron reads an article about a lawyer Mitchell Garabedian who makes the claim that Cardinal Bernard Law, the Archbishop of Boston knew the priest John Geoghan was sexually abusing children. He persuades the Spotlight team to take the case despite their hesitance to touch it.

To their surprise, the team’s investigation into the case opens a very large and twisted can of worms. It doesn’t take them long to realise that the case they started with was only the tip of the iceberg and that there have been at least 87 priests who the Roman Catholic church knew were sexually abusing children over the years.

• Spotlight (2015 Drama Movie)
  • I thought that the movie was deserving of best picture not only because it treated such a serious subject matter with much reverence, but it attempted to be as down to earth about it as possible while at the same time evoking strong emotion from me the audience.

I can remember that scene that they showed a clip of and the one that got me interested in it in the first place was where the journalist Sacha Pfeiffer who is played by Rachel McAdams interviews a priest who was accused of sexually abusing children. He admitted to doing it in such a matter-of-fact demeanor while at the same appearing confused as to why she was questioning what he did. While the scene was extremely subtle, it was also massively shocking.

• Spotlight (2015 Drama Movie)
  • The acting was also very brilliant as well. I remember even before the movie even really got to the gist of what was going on and it was still in its early stages I was able to identify a cast full of very good actors especially in some of the more weighty roles. It was at that point that I just knew it was definitely going to be a good movie. There were actors such as Liev Schreiber who played the new editor Marty Baron, Michael Keaton who played the role of Walter “Robby” Robinson, Mark Ruffalo who played Michael Rezendes and Rachel McAdams who played the role of Sacha Pfeiffer.

As a result it became hard for me to identify who did the best job with their character. I can say that I was thrilled with the way that Ruffalo portrayed Michael Rezendes, a journalist who became very emotionally affected by the entire case after a while. However, I also loved the way that actor Stanley Tucci played the role of the attorney Mitchell Garabedian who became blacklisted by the Catholic church and the community because of his role in the cases.

• Spotlight (2015 Drama Movie)
  • While I’m not sure how much of the movie was actually based on what what happened and what was fictitious I still loved the way that the story was told. I loved the way that they didn’t only focus on the investigative journalism part of the case and showed how it also seeped into these people’s personal lives.

There was one journalist for example who finds out on a whim that one of the rehabilitation centres for pedophile priests was only a few houses away from him. He becomes visibly shocked and attaches a note to his refrigerator for his children to stay away from the address. Close to the end of the movie he drops a newspaper at the front door of the building.

• Spotlight (2015 Drama Movie)
  • In addition, I also loved how the movie managed to show a contrast between what life was before the Spotlight team worked on the case and later on how it affected them even though it only touched on the matter briefly.

For example, there was one journalist who it seemed actually knew about what was happening for years but like the rest of the community, he also chose to ignore what was going on right in front of him. At the risk of becoming a pariah in the community he pursues the case as part of the Spotlight team, and it troubles him later on that he ignored what was happening for so long.

There is one scene close to the ending where he approaches a friend of his and asks for his help in identifying some of those priest who had been molesting children, and the friend asks him what caused him to change his attitude on the matter.

I recommend this movie to those who like dramas. Not only is it well done, but it’s an emotionally gripping story about a very serious issue.

Sammy Spieler says :

re : Thus I did a little bit of my own research on it and saw that the topic was definitely something that I would be interested in
This is a must watch movie
Usually, I like to stay on the more positive side of movies but the importance of this film cannot be understated. One of the worst things that can happen in life is unawarence and as social issues become more and more prominent in today’s culture, we must arm ourselves with the knowledge and kindness.

This film not only demonstrates concealed wickedness from where you see perfection but also creates empathy and understanding of both sides something that doesn’t happen often. You would not expect a priest of all people, raping and molesting not one - but possibly hundred of kids This idea was nonexistent and ignored before the Spotlight exposed all the unjust acts of the Catholic Church. Obviously this is not exactly a light topic but honestly there aren’t very many things going on the world that can be discussed about lightly (that aren’t fake), so accept the fact that you will be horribly uncomfortable for most of the film. But this is a good thing, just because you can’t handle a issue doesn’t mean that it’s not real and it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t deal with it. Exposure is the first step, and justice and forgiveness is the next. This film covers all of that.

I would say the only downside of this film is the amount of frownlines you see is almost painful. On a more serious note, there is no color throughout the people staring in the film, I know this was based on real events and people, however it makes it seem like poor white people are the only ones being horribly mistreated - if you haven’t been living under a rock lately you would know this obviously isn’t true.

Daiany says :

re : I recommend this movie to those who like dramas
The film is a great drama and reality shows that few want to see. The Oscar was deserved and journalists were courageous in exposing these facts.

Andrew Leith says :

It was a great drama movie. Exposing wicked people, especially priests, was unheard of and still bringing to light their sins in the public media.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1111031653540631/k2311a0311/3.11.16