The Revenant (2015 Historical Drama Movie)
4.7
  • When I realised that it was even nominated for several prestigious awards I decided to take the chance and watch it myself
  • While I don't think that it was one of Leonardo DiCaprio's best movies, I did think that it was fairly interesting
  • On the other hand I could definitely appreciate why so many people loved it as I did find it somewhat enjoyable
  • As I mentioned I don't think it was Leonardo's best movie, but I have to admit it's fairly enjoyable
  • I give it an 8 because I think it could have been a little better

by Redtape

I hesitated in watching it for some time but after a while I realised that I was hearing nothing but gushing reviews about the movie “The Revenant”. When I realised that it was even nominated for several prestigious awards I decided to take the chance and watch it myself. While I don’t think that it was one of Leonardo DiCaprio’s best movies, I did think that it was fairly interesting.
  • The Revenant (2015 Historical Drama Movie)
  • The movie is set in 1823 in the United States wilderness before it became the Dakotas. Hugh Glass is the protagonist, who is played by the popular actor Leonardo DiCaprio. His half-Native son is Hawk who is played by the actor Forrest Goodluck. The two are in a company of trappers hunting for pelts which they will eventually sell.

The company gets attacked by a Native American Arikara tribe and they manage to kill many of the workers. The surviving company along with Glass and his son manage to escape even though they are still being stalked by the tribe. However, when Glass decides to scout ahead he is mauled by a grizzly bear.

While his injuries are not fatal, they are serious enough to become mortal. The company ends up making the unanimous decision to leave him behind along with his son Hawk, a young man named Jim Bridger and a man named Fitzgerald who has sworn to take care of Glass until the end. However, shortly after Fitzgerald attempts to kill Glass and murders Hawk. He lies to Jim about what happened and they move on.

Nevertheless, Glass survives what happened and fights to heal and move on despite his terrible injuries. Thus he begins his journey trekking across miles of wilderness, stalked by the Arikara braving the ice and cold despite his serious injuries, his only motivation finding Fitzgerald and exacting revenge.

• The Revenant (2015 Historical Drama Movie)
  • I can’t say in all honesty that I was one of those people who actually “loved” The Revenant, or that I believed that it was actually worthy of so many of those awards that it was nominated for and that it received.

On the other hand I could definitely appreciate why so many people loved it as I did find it somewhat enjoyable. The thing is, when the movie begins it can be a little hard to watch. For example it took me a long time to put together what the opening scene meant and the significance of it in relation to the entire film. Nevertheless, it only gets better with time. After Glass and his son are brutalised and treated unfairly by Fitzgerald it’s easy to sympathise with this man who only wants revenge.

• The Revenant (2015 Historical Drama Movie)
  • I also believe that one of the things that makes the movie so captivating is because it plays on the idea that we as an audience are in love with sadistic extremes and love to watch the protagonist or main character suffer. Yes, it’s also a matter of supporting the main character and hoping that he manages to receive justice for his own personal injustices.

However, you can’t help but sit on the edge of your seat as you see Glass struggle across what appears to be a very long distance, braving rapids, fighting infection, cold, hunger and an angry Arikara tribe hellbent on revenge.

• The Revenant (2015 Historical Drama Movie)
  • While watching The Revenant I also found it very easy to sympathise with the Arikara chief. The director does not simply show only one side of the story, he also makes sure to show a little bit of the backstory of these Natives who are hunting down the Europeans as we get bits and pieces of the Arikara chief searching for his kidnapped daughter. As a result the chief’s predicament is a little like Glass’s.

• The Revenant (2015 Historical Drama Movie)
  • If you have a weak stomach this movie is probably not for you. Some scenes can get pretty graphic sometimes with no warning. I was lucky that I was able to stomach some of them and get through the entire movie.

There’s one particular scene where it gets so cold that glass guts his dead horse in the middle of a winter storm and immerses himself inside of it for warmth.

As I mentioned I don’t think it was Leonardo’s best movie, but I have to admit it’s fairly enjoyable. If you’re a fan of Leonardo DiCaprio’s later works you probably have the stomach to like this one too. The Revenant has also put the director Alejandro G. Iñãrritu on the map for me and a lot of other people as well.

I give it an 8 because I think it could have been a little better.

Harvi says :

I’ll be helpful if there are more information about the movie and if the picture quality are better.

aris jay says :

Well, I kinda liked this movie because the story left me spell bounded. I had never thought the there is such a movie nowadays and somehow I recommended this to all Nicely done

Rumba says :

This movie is absolutely incredible. I also want to advice you the movie “The Edge” with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin. “The Revenant” and “The Edge” share one theme - the power of nature over a man.

Selaron says :

Good acting but I think this could have been way shorter and the story also could have been better. A 2h long moaning DiCaprio is not really what I had in mind when starting this movie.

Adam says :

re : I give it an 8 because I think it could have been a little better
I couldn’t agree more with this. I’m not sure why Leo won an oscar for this?.. It’s a good movie, especially from a technical standpoint but I thought it was extremely overrated I also think Tom Hardy did a better job in this movie and deserved more praise than Leo.

Mauna Locca says :

The Revenant was a huge challenge for Leonardo because he couldn’t rely on his good looks alone to play his role. I think he won an Oscar because he portrayed the character so well. He seemed faithful to it from beginning to end. A father so determined to fight for his loved ones against all odds.

Sahana Das says :

re : When I realised that it was even nominated for several prestigious awards I decided to take the chance and watch it myself
There are two reasons why I decided to watch this movie. First is that Leo DiCaprio plays the role of the protagonist Hugh Glass. I enjoy his acting. The movie is loosely based on a true incidence that took place around 1823 in present day Dakota. The second reason was that the movie was nominated for Oscar.
I went to the theater with some expectations but left totally mesmerized. One of the plus points of the film is that it effectively takes the viewer to another era. When you see DiCaprio evading one catastrophe after another,encountering the harsh terrain to make a laborious journey,the haunted look in his eyes,you feel you are experiencing the movie, rather than watching it.
Another actor whose performance truly stands out is Tom Hardy who played the role of Fitzgerald. Somehow I feel his performance went less appreciated.
The Cinematography was brilliant and no wonder the film won an Oscar for it. Another dominating factor in the movie is the portrayal of the brutality of nature-wild and unforgiving.
There are certain shortcomings though. The movie is way too long. There are too many scenes of DiCaprio just walking and walking, which makes it a little boring at times. Also, except suffering stoically there is very little else the character of DiCaprio does in the movie.
But, overall it was a great watch. A film well directed, superbly shot and the excruciating agony of Hugh Glass brought to life by Leo.
"The Revenant" perhaps leaves a question to the minds of the viewers: how much is too much when it comes to extracting revenge for a wrong doing?

Shivam Vats says :

I usually don’t go for movies like this. When I heard all of the fuss about Leo earning an Oscar, I knew that it must have been a good one. After doing some research on the plot of the movie, I found that it didn’t seem too bad, and so I decided to go ahead and watch it. Boy, was it a good idea I felt enlightened at the end. I felt like I had watched the movie in space time and time just seemed to stop. I felt like the movie reflected my own life in some way. Never have I had a movie to connect to me in this way. It was truly just insane. In a good way.

Andrew Leith says :

I agree. I was skeptical at first, and review ratings on the internet were mostly hyped up and very positive. Not a bad movie and made a lot of sense as the movie reflected a lot on my own life and made it more engaging and enjoyable.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1111031653500631/k2311a0311/3.11.16