The Danish Girl (Biographical Drama Movie)
  • Not only did I think that the entire movie was engrossing but I thought that it gave me somewhat of a new perspective on individuals who identify as being transgender
  • I believe that there were several things that contributed it its success
  • I was forced to accept the fact that she is an amazing actress especially after seeing her portray Gerda through several points throughout the film
  • It's one of the best movies I've seen in a very long while

by Redtape

I hesitated in watching the movie “The Danish Girl” for a long time because I wasn’t sure that I would find it fascinating enough for me to like. However, eventually I warmed to the idea and decided to take the risk watching it, especially after I realised that it received a lot of very good reviews and I heard that it might be one of the movies going up for Academy Awards at the Oscars.

It turns out I’m actually happy that I watched it. Not only did I think that the entire movie was engrossing but I thought that it gave me somewhat of a new perspective on individuals who identify as being transgender.

• The Danish Girl (Biographical Drama Movie)
  • The movie was actually loosely based on the lives of Pre-World War II Danish painters Lili Elbe and Gerda Wegener. When the movie begins it is set in the 1920s in Denmark where Gerda Wegener and her shy soft-spoken husband Einar are painters. Einar’s landscape paintings have made him a little more popular than his wife who paints portraits of people. Nevertheless, even though he has considerably more fame than she, they are still a happy carefree couple.

One day Gerda asks Einar to pose for her in women’s clothes when a female model she has asked to pose for her is late. He is suprisingly open to his wife’s request and the two have fun both getting him ready for the painting and while he is posing for it. Nevertheless, it awakens a curiosity in him that has lay dormant for a very long while.

As time goes by dressing Einar up in women’s clothes becomes somewhat of a game to them. They even name Einar’s female persona “Lili”, and decide that she will accompany Gerda to the Artist’s Ball as his cousin. However as time goes by he begins to embrace Lili as his natural form even more.

While Gerda is afraid that the person who she once knew as her husband will leave her, she tries to put her feelings aside and embrace the transition that he husband is going through.

Later on Lili becomes one of the first people to receive a male to female reassignment surgery. However as it was still an experimental procedure she later dies from infection.

• The Danish Girl (Biographical Drama Movie)
  • As I previously mentioned I found the movie highly captivating although I expected that it was going to be a little tedious. I believe that there were several things that contributed it its success. One of the main ones was the way that it was filmed.

For example, the film is aesthetically beautiful with its mix of colours and the costuming. There was one point where I even felt that there were some parts of the visuals that were slightly inspired by the artists’ own work.

I was also blown away by the architecture and even the natural artistry of the landscape so much that it has inspired me to visit Denmark one day. I even remember being in awe of the first few shots of the landscape Einar was painting even before the movie begun.

• The Danish Girl (Biographical Drama Movie)
  • Before I watched this particular movie I saw Alicia Vikander in the 2015 movie “The Man from Uncle”. At first I couldn’t really understand how she had achieved so much fame especially in such a short period of time, but while watching The Danish Girl everything became startlingly clear. I was forced to accept the fact that she is an amazing actress especially after seeing her portray Gerda through several points throughout the film.

Her chemistry with Eddie Redmayne who plays the role of Einar and Lili is also something to be reckoned with as I felt that the both of them made an exceptional team.

• The Danish Girl (Biographical Drama Movie)
  • Eddie Redmayne also showcased his exceptional acting. I thought that he portrayed both Lili and Einar with such ease and grace that it was almost mesmerizing to watch.

However, he earned my respect even more because of the fact that it must have been a bit awkward for him to play a role like this because of people’s preconceived notions of what masculinity is. Nevertheless, he was confident enough to play a character with a certain amount of fluidity at that.

There was one particular scene that shocked me based on how emotional it was and the graphic nature of it. There is a place with costumes nearby where the Wegeners live and Einar would escape there sometimes and touch the furs. He disrobes while he is there and looks in the mirror while he pretends as if his male genitals are gone.

• The Danish Girl (Biographical Drama Movie)
  • Another thing that I loved about this movie had to be the score. I think that was one of the things that made it even more captivating. The score is made up of mostly classical music and seems fairly subtle, but I thought that it helped contribute massively towards telling the story as well as adding to the drama and the emotion in he movie.

One scene in the movie where I believe that the score greatly contributed to it had to be in the end where Gerda and Hans visit the location that Einar was painting before his transition to Lili. A metaphor is shown where where Gerda’s scarf takes off in the wind and I believe it was supposed to represent that Lili was finally free after she died even though she contracted an infection. I felt that the music in a sense heightened the feeling.

If you know you’re not open to or are offended by topics such as these it’s probably best that you stay away from this movie. However, if you know you’re fairly openminded about sexuality, you’re not offended by these types of things and you’re looking for a good movie to watch you should probably watch The Danish Girl. It’s one of the best movies I’ve seen in a very long while.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 119031653450631/k2311a039/3.9.16