This Lullaby, novel by Sarah Dessen  » Books  »
  • When I started reading this book I was really excited because I'd heard time and time again how wonderful it was and how it beats Just Listen, my favorite Sarah Dessen book
  • I feel like Remy was too cynical and cold for her age, I mean, I completely understand where she's coming from because her mother is seriously something else, but her brother is in a very happy and committed relationship, so I think the whole think was a little too dramatic
  • I don't think she should be as affected as she was by it
  • I don't think anyone can be bored with him
  • I totally recommend it because it was a really pretty book once you go past certain things

• by Andy Diaz

Remy is very careful when it comes to relationships, all of that thanks to her mother, who is going to get married for the fifth time, and once again she’s the one in charge of all the planning. That’s how she meets Dexter, a guy that completely turns her life upside-down.

When I started reading this book I was really excited because I’d heard time and time again how wonderful it was and how it beats Just Listen, my favorite Sarah Dessen book. That has not been my case at all. It doesn’t mean that I didn’t enjoy it, I absolutely did, but the story didn’t consume me like Just Listen did.

In This Lullaby we have Remy.

She’s a girl that has lost all hope when it comes to love, so that’s why she just sleeps around without getting too seriously involved with anybody. The story is set the summer before she goes away to college, to a place far away from her mother and all her craziness. That’s the summer where she will cut all ties and find a good summer fling that will end the day before she leaves. She just wants something short and fun. I feel like Remy was too cynical and cold for her age, I mean, I completely understand where she’s coming from because her mother is seriously something else, but her brother is in a very happy and committed relationship, so I think the whole think was a little too dramatic. I don’t think she should be as affected as she was by it. I kinda felt worse for the boys she broke up with than for her and her incapability to commit.

The strong point in the story and who really makes it worth reading is Dexter. He’s everything that Remy isn’t, he’s a careless and relaxed guy, he lives every moment like it’s the last and doesn’t have a care in the world. He’s not afraid of love and is convinced that it exists. Dexter was a very strong character, he was fresh and super entertaining; I don’t think anyone can be bored with him. He ...

• This Lullaby, novel by Sarah Dessen
      also can make you a little nervous with his disorganization but I absolutely loved him. He’s so innocent that you just have to forgive him for everything, another reason that I didn’t liked Remy as much. I think she was too harsh on him, although it had a lot to do with her fears.

There were also secondary characters that I really loved. Remy and Dexter’s friends had really defined personalities and were really entertaining characters, they were perfect to make them evolved in front of the spectator’s eyes and they were the perfect excuse to reflex in certain subjects that rule young people’s lives sometimes. The author did a great job at taking the story a little farther,

as always.

There were a lot of reasons that made this book so worth reading, but at first I had a little hard time with it, just because I couldn’t comprehend Remy as much. It didn’t give me enough to hook me at first, but then I reached a point in the story where I just couldn’t and didn’t want to stop reading.

Sarah’s writing is also very personal and direct, it’s very comfortable to read and she helps you sink in the story and feel empathy towards the characters. Her books always have something else that’s so good for me. I totally recommend it because it was a really pretty book once you go past certain things. Love Sara Dessen!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 178031653390431/k2311a038/3.8.16