The Quiet Ones (2014 Supernatural Horror Movie)  » Movies  »
1.5
  • I'd never watched a trailer for the movie The Quiet Ones before, but the brief description made it seem like something that I might find interesting
  • At first everyone is convinced that it is for the best to cure Jane's mental illness
  • I think that had I read that before I watched it as well I would have been even more convinced that the movie would be good
  • However, all I got was this ceaseless chatter about the experiment and not much else that I thought was relevant, and Evey never really manifests herself
  • Thus I wouldn't recommend watching it to them at all

by Redtape

I was actually in the mood to watch a supernatural horror movie yesterday and I couldn’t believe my good luck when I saw a description for a movie on the cable guide that looked like it would be pretty good. I’d never watched a trailer for the movie “The Quiet Ones” before, but the brief description made it seem like something that I might find interesting.

The only catch was that I could not for the life of me understand why I had never heard of the movie before even though it was released in 2014. After watching it I could understand why. It was terrible.

• The Quiet Ones (2014 Supernatural Horror Movie)
  • The movie takes place in England in the seventies where a college professor Coupland, conducts a lecture in the attempt at proving that supernatural powers do not exist. At first he shows them a video of a young possessed boy who he was trying to help and then he introduces them to the case of a young girl named Jane.

Jane is said to possess supernatural abilities. On further explanation we learn that she communicates with a doll-like supernatural entity who we only hear referred to as “Evey”. The professor believes that her so called “supernatural abilities” and all the strange phenomena that surrounds her can be explained away by negative energy caused by the abuse she experienced as a child.

He invites one of his students, Brian McNeil to join his two member team composed of two young people, Krissi and Harry to accompany him to his controversial experiments on Jane. At first everyone is convinced that it is for the best to cure Jane’s “mental illness”. However as the days progress Brian finds himself becoming closer to Jane and developing the opinion that what Professor Coupland is doing is inhumane. To make things worse, this supernatural entity Evey is getting angrier and more aggressive and the team tries to convince Coupland that whatever is haunting Jane is much more than just negative energy.

• The Quiet Ones (2014 Supernatural Horror Movie)
  • The movie claims to be from the same producer as “Woman in Black” and “Let Me In”. I think that had I read that before I watched it as well I would have been even more convinced that the movie would be good. I did like Let Me In after all and I also liked Woman in Black. However, once you really sit down and watch the movie like I did, you’ll realise that The Quiet Ones is no where on par as those two movies.

For one not much ever really happens in the movie despite the plot description and there’s much more talking than there is supernatural activity. That irritated the life out of me. I’m one of those people who is willing to wait thirty minutes into a movie for something to happen as long as the wait is rewarding. However, all I got was this ceaseless chatter about the experiment and not much else that I thought was relevant, and Evey never really manifests herself. As a matter of fact, I can tell you right now that one of the most interesting scenes in the movie and possibly the most interesting scene at all is in the trailer.

• The Quiet Ones (2014 Supernatural Horror Movie)
  • Very little happens in the movie which means that we get to see very little effects. I didn’t expect the movie to be drowned in CGI and there to be a storm of paranormal activity, but I didn’t expect it to be so ridiculously “subtle” either. The most you’ll literally hear from Evey is a few pathetic knocks on a table, a slight laugh at one point that actually comes out of Jane by the way, oh and you’ll see a doll she has burning. A part from that please expect to be very dissatisfied.

I kept thinking thinking that the least the writer or writers could have done was put a few more scares in it; and then at another point I wondered if they couldn’t have afforded a team of one or two special effects people.

• The Quiet Ones (2014 Supernatural Horror Movie)
  • There were actually one or two scenes that I did find a bit creepy. One of them was in the first part where they take Jane to the house in the countryside that Professor Coupland would now begin conducting his experiments in. The team along with Jane take a group picture in front of the house before heading inside for the first time, and then a little after the door closes, the back door of the vehicle they traveled in opens slowly as if someone else is getting out.

• The Quiet Ones (2014 Supernatural Horror Movie)
  • Something else I wanted to mention was how the movie ended. In the end we see footage of Brian sitting in a chair looking as if he is being interrogated. He claims that everything was captured by his camera, but whoever is interrogating him claims that he murdered everyone and then suddenly Brian’s hand begins smoking.

I feel that the movie would have been significantly more interesting had the movie begun that way and then retraced the steps of this experiment all the while adding a bit more special effects and scary scenes.

Some people seemed to have liked the movie, but personally I think that hardcore supernatural horror fans such as myself will find it disappointing. Thus I wouldn’t recommend watching it to them at all.

jobii says :

re : Thus I wouldn’t recommend watching it to them at all
it depends on the personality some do able to see it and some do not

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111031653320531/k2311a031/3.1.16