Funny Games (1997 Psychological Thriller Movie)
2.5
  • Someone I know convinced me to watch the 1997 movie Funny Games, because according to them it was one of the best psychological thrillers they had seen in a while
  • Anna has no problem opening the door to the young man and handing him the eggs
  • I wouldn't recommend this movie to those who are hardcore fans of thrillers

by Redtape

Someone I know convinced me to watch the 1997 movie Funny Games, because according to them it was one of the best psychological thrillers they had seen in a while. I have to admit that I was a little hesitant at first because I kept thinking how I would have watched and remembered a movie with such an exciting premise. However, I just decided that it was a German movie so there was a possibility I just didn’t hear about it.

After getting the chance to see it with English subtitles though, I felt that the movie had the potential to be a lot better.

• Funny Games (1997 Psychological Thriller Movie)
  • The 1997 version of the movie Funny Games is not to be confused by its American 2007 remake. It is basically about an Austrian family who go on vacation to their lakeside home and end up encountering two psychopaths who are on a killing spree in the area.

When the movie begins a family of three the father Georg, the mother Anna, their young son Georgie and dog Rolf are driving across the country singing on their way to their lakeside home.

When they’re almost at their destination they pass their neighbours standing outside. Even though they notice that their behaviour is a bit unusual, they proceed to their own house and forget about it.

Some time after they’ve arrived the two males attempt to set up their boat while the mother decides to make a start on dinner. However, she is interrupted by a knock at the door. A shy and unfamiliar young man has come to ask to borrow some eggs on behalf of their neighbours.

Anna has no problem opening the door to the young man and handing him the eggs. However it soon becomes apparent that he hasn’t actually come for eggs and he’s not alone. The two men take the family hostage and spend the night playing mind games with them.

• Funny Games (1997 Psychological Thriller Movie)
  • Overall I thought that while this film had the potential to be very thrilling it was frustratingly tame. There were several reasons why I developed that point of view. One of the main ones was because I thought that the parents surrendered a bit too easily two the two psychopaths in the initial stage of the home invasion.

I didn’t expect the little boy Georgie to do much because he was a child after all and he was still fairly young. However, I couldn’t help thinking that he fought the most.

Here’s how I came to that conclusion. In the first part of the movie a little after the two psychopaths show that they are playing mind games with Anna, one of them hits the father Georg with a golf club. I’m thinking at this point that Anna is going to run for a knife in the kitchen or find some other makeshift weapon to try to defend her family with, because these two rejects don’t have a gun. One of them is even scrawny enough to be toppled by a light breeze. However, they all just stand there scared and screaming.

• Funny Games (1997 Psychological Thriller Movie)
  • Another reason why I thought the movie was frustratingly tame was because I thought that the psychopaths, who did nothing much but irritate me were capable of so much more. I definitely understand what the writers and possibly the filmmaker was aiming for, which was basically sociopaths who got off on playing with their victims’ heads.

However, I thought that the movie would have been much more interesting had the antagonists been a little more physical and possibly even cringeworthy with their victims as well. This seems like the type of movie that would have done a little better had the filmmakers not held back too much and descended a little more into depravity.

On the other hand, there are some scenes that I definitely have to give them kudos for. There is one particular scene where the antagonist known as “Paul” forces Anna to strip in front of them and her family. The scene itself is quite simple. He does not touch her, but we can feel every ounce of her humiliation.

• Funny Games (1997 Psychological Thriller Movie)
  • One of the best things about this movie is Arno Frisch’s acting. He’s the Austrian actor who plays the part of the home invader, Paul and I couldn’t help but thing that he made an extremely believable monster.

I thought that his portrayal of Paul was absolute perfection and chilling from the teasing tone of his voice to the completely calm mask he wears on his face from start to finish. That’s the worst type of psychopath in my opinion. What’s more frightening than someone who’s able to do these things without an ounce of emotion or remorse?

• Funny Games (1997 Psychological Thriller Movie)
  • I thought that one of the most disturbing scenes in the movie had to be when the little boy Georgie is shot. It does take a special kind of depravity to kill an innocent child, and I think that was one of the reasons why the movie became a lot more disturbing.

While the murder itself wasn’t shown on screen, it did show the child’s body from behind, and I think that was enough to make the movie a little more emotional and yet chilling.

I wouldn’t recommend this movie to those who are hardcore fans of thrillers. It’s really not that great despite the promising premise. This is one of those movies that sounds good on paper, but for several reasons has not translated well on screen.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1126021653290429/k2311a0226/2.26.16