ROKU Japanese food restaurant ( sushi + ramen + donburi )  » Restaurants  »
Trinoma Mall Branch, 1st level, EDSA corner North Ave., Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines
  • We started to embrace their culture through their wide variety of delicious food
  • I usually compare it with the old kani experience I have, but this so far is the BEST tasting kani I've had have
  • We were so impressed with their presentation, for a price of 259php, and they serve you eight pieces of perfectly wrapped sushi with strips of salmon and tuna on top
  • I recommend this place especially to those who are scared to try Japanese restaurants because of the fear of its cost

by Vivien Alpuerto

Japanese cuisine, as we all know has now become popular throughout the world. We started to embrace their culture through their wide variety of delicious food. I and my partner are a big fan of Japanese food, I guess they (Japanese) have won our hearts through our tummy. Since I met my boyfriend, I started loving food three times than I used too. As they say, love can make you gain weight. We enjoy every bit of our dates, that mostly includes food (a lot of eating) and we love to explore dining places. Mostly we dine out twice a week, but Sunday dinners are a must.

We love to go to Trinoma, lesser people and they have a chapel there, so we got to stroll, eat, do our grocery shopping and pray. One Sunday evening, we’re craving for Japanese food, so we opt to look around. And saw a newly opened Japanese restaurant named ROKU, just on the left side first level of trinoma, it is where most asian restaurants are located. We saw a few people dining inside the restaurant, and we’re a bit hungry already, so we went and tried our luck. When you browse on their menu, you will see their specialties which are the ever famous Sushi, Ramen and Donburi.

• ROKU sushi + ramen + donburi
  • On their wall says ROKU. The name of the restaurant. You can choose where to seat, because there are lots of seats available. Upon entering they will welcome you in chorus with a Japanese greeting, likewise just before you leave. They are polite, attentive and friendly.

• ROKU sushi + ramen + donburi
  • When you start browsing on their menu, you will notice that they serve wide variety of Sushi (24), Ramen (8) and Donburi (8). They told us that their best sellers under their sushi rolls are Roku and OMG Roll. They have a budget friendly price, so that is a big plus. There are also many options, and they also offer promos like buy one take one and family set menu where you can save up to 30%.

• ROKU sushi + ramen + donburi
  • We noticed that there were few costumers, and that is one reason why we love it here. Although, after about an hour, we saw people starting to come and dine in. We were surprised that they seem to have regular ‘loyal’ customers in all ages. Couples, usually in groups, some alone, and mostly with kids. The theme is mostly red, very minimalist and you will be welcomed by the hanging bulbs, that made the place unique and it gave the place a cozy feel due to their lighting. They also have sofa type seats, which I usually call the ‘comfy chairs’. On the right corner is a counter where you can see the master chefs busy preparing your food.

• ROKU sushi + ramen + donburi
  • I’m a big fan of Kani salad. Their kani has a contrast in every area from texture, color up to it’s flavor. For a price of 189 php you can enjoy a medium bowl of kani salad. I usually compare it with the old kani experience I have, but this so far is the BEST tasting kani I’ve had have. The cucumber is thinly sliced into med- semi long strips with a hint of crisp and audibly crunchy. The dressing (japanese mayo) is perfectly creamy with the hint of sweetness and right amount of saltiness too. The ripe mangoes are sweet and blend well with the saltiness of the seaweed (nori) and crabstick.

• ROKU sushi + ramen + donburi
  • Who would skip the famous Sushi rolls? We tried one of their best seller which is Roku roll. We were so impressed with their presentation, for a price of 259php, and they serve you eight pieces of perfectly wrapped sushi with strips of salmon and tuna on top. And to finish it off, they drizzled it with wasabi sauce that gave it a kick (spice). You know that you’re served with fresh salmon and tuna because of it’s juiciness. After putting the whole thing in your mouth, you feel like your head just wants to explode. The flavor is so rich, and you love how all the taste blends well inside your mouth.

• ROKU sushi + ramen + donburi
  • My boyfriend’s all time favorite is chicken teriyaki, so he ordered one. It’s the cheapest under their Donburi menu, it only costs 199php. He was so delighted that he kept on telling me how delicious it was, and like what I said earlier, he also agreed that their chicken teriyaki is the best teriyaki he ever tasted. So I tried a slice of chicken and a bit of rice. The combination of saltiness and sweetness plus the taste of roast (a bit roasted on the outside) made it really delicious, it was placed on top of the rice so the rice was able to absorb the sauce, it was good. And the chicken was soft and juicy. We loved it.

• ROKU sushi + ramen + donburi
  • Just right after we tried ROKU. We went back on the same week, and decided to explore other dish. I picked their Gyudon this time. It’s 259 php, 50php more expensive than chicken teriyaki. But guys, this is beef on top, topped with egg. Donburi is a simmered beef on top of a steamed rice. It was our first time to actually taste one, this is so heavenly. The beef is thinly sliced and it blended well with thin slices of juicy mushroom, the sauce which is sweet and salty is so addicting. This is perfect with rice, because it has a strong taste, you can actually feel it going up to your nose. This is a meal that will absolutely fill you up.

• ROKU sushi + ramen + donburi
  • On our third visit, we tried Dream roll. It is a new experience for us because it is not the typical sushi roll you encounter. The crunchy texture it has on the outside gave a different twist to it, the same batter they use to cover tempura. Drizzled a semi sweet semi salty sauce on top, with a hint of cream cheese. You can try this for only 250php at eight (8) pieces. This is also good, but we still prefer ROKU roll over this.

• ROKU sushi + ramen + donburi
  • Finally, after our second visit, we can order the famous tempura (Ebi Tempura) at 369php for 5pcs. You can also choose 3 pcs if 5 is too much for you. The presentation and the appearance is so tempting. You want to try it the moment it is served on your table. It was cooked perfectly, in the sense that it has a bit of crunch but just as you bite it (inside) you’re surprised that it is soft, cooked the way you want it. It was a little disappointing, because it was not perfectly seasoned. It tasted a little bland. I am thinking maybe it was just seasoned a little less than the usual. So this did not stand out like the rest.

• ROKU sushi + ramen + donburi
  • If you’re a fan of sweets, you won’t miss this. You can have a slice at 164 Php. And most likely, for some green tea cheesecake is new to you, so you might as well give it a shot. While for those who really love chocolates, then belgian chocolate cake is the one for you.

• ROKU sushi + ramen + donburi
  • They have a variety of sushi rolls to choose from, each of them is unique, and they are served in 8pcs. They also have buy one take one promos for specific sushi rolls. I particularly noticed that those who eat in groups (mostly families) enjoy ramen. We’re not able to try one, so I cannot comment on that. But ramen and sushi roll is what you will usually see ordered by their regular customers. And their ramen is big, it is also good for sharing.

• ROKU sushi + ramen + donburi
  • For those who plan to go as a family, with your friends or colleagues. You can avail of their promos. The most recent we saw was their valentine promo which is a sushi heart tray, with a variety of sushi rolls, for only 1499. They also have sushi party, this has more servings and you can choose between 5 sets: set 1 for 3099php, 100pcs for 10-12 persons, set 2 for 2,699php 88pcs which is good for 10-12. set 3 88 pcs, for 2599, good for 10-12 persons. Set 4 for 3,399php it has 124pcs good for 15 persons and lastly, set 5 for 1299, this consists of 48 pcs all california good for 8-10 persons. They also accept custom orders for additional 150 for small tray and 250php for big tray. The order must be done at least 4 hours in advance. They have family set menu wherein you can save up to 30% that ranges from 1,299php to 1,499php.

• ROKU sushi + ramen + donburi
  • You will love the place. It is located in Trinoma mall along EDSA. Just on the left side of the first floor. Their first branch is located at Katipunan Avenue, both in Quezon City.

All in all I must say that our ROKU experience is a good one. We fell in love with their gyudon. The best part of it is that you can have it at a reasonable price and yet go home full and satisfied. Their sushi rolls have their own uniqueness. Their roku roll was our favorite. You will be able to enjoy eating your roll topped with tuna and salmon on it. This is pure genius. This comes in 8 (a bit bigger size than the usual serving you get on regular japanese restau) rolls for only 259, and yet the presentation was not compromised. Their kani salad is the best kani I have ever tasted. Their chicken teriyakidon is also a winner. We tried this early this month, and we can’t help but go back and try on their other dishes. So we actually went there three times already, we even ate there twice on the second week. I love the place, and the people there are friendly and attentive. It is well ventilated and lighted. The taste, the presentation, service, place and the serving is filling. It is priced quite reasonably for budget eaters. I recommend this place especially to those who are scared to try Japanese restaurants because of the fear of its cost. You don’t even have to wait too long before your food is served. The place is big enough to accommodate a huge number of customers. We paid 530php on our first visit. We went out happy, full and very satisfied.

Another good news, is that they deliver and accepts orders for pick up.

ROKU rocks says :

re : I recommend this place especially to those who are scared to try Japanese restaurants because of the fear of its cost
I was one of the enthusiasts of Japanese cuisine, one of which is tempura. My dining experience at ROKU Japanese food restaurant has been very enjoyable. This is because the menu offered by ROKU Japanese food restaurant is very diverse and certainly tasty and not too expensive. Besides her maid was very friendly and quick presentation. If I were eating at ROKU Japanese food restaurant I definitely chose tempura and sushi as my choice menu. This is because, sushi and tempura tastes very delicious, crisp taste and shrimp tempura is large enough. According to my ROKU Japanese food restaurant is great for a get together with friends while enjoying the typical Japanese food.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 716021653150929/k2311a0216/2.16.16