Unbroken (Biographical Drama Movie)
  • However, after giving it a chance, I found that I actually enjoyed it
  • If you're looking for an interesting historical and biographical film, then Unbroken is a fairly good watch

by Redtape

There’s something absolutely captivating about watching some biographical dramas, especially those that are reminiscent of an earlier time period. Therefore, it was that, along with the fact that the movie was directed by the popular actress Angelina Jolie that attracted me to it. At first since the movie received something of an average rating on IMDB at the time, I had the impression that it would be somewhat mediocre. However, after giving it a chance, I found that I actually enjoyed it.
  • Unbroken (Biographical Drama Movie)
  • The movie “Unbroken” is based on the biography entitled “Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption” by author Laura Hillenbrand. Set circa the World War II period, it covers the life and experiences of the athlete Louis “Louie” Zamperini who was taken as a prisoner of war by the Japanese.

The movie opens with a brief introduction to Zamperini’s life as a young boy, and the events that ignited a competitiveness within him and inspired him to become a world class athlete. Therefore, when the movie begins, it’s easy to be fooled and forget that you’re not watching a sports biographical drama. However, once the war begins the mood changes and Zamperini’s world is toppled as soon as he is drafted. Everything seems to go downhill from there as the plane that he is on crashes and he and two other survivors are stranded at sea with little food and no water for nearly three months.

Soon Zamperini and several other foreign soldiers are captured by the Japanese and are treated cruelly as prisoners of war. Thus once again he finds himself fighting a battle to survive.

• Unbroken (Biographical Drama Movie)
  • I think that one of the reasons why this movie got an average rating despite the drama was because there was a fair amount of miscasting. English actor Jack O’Connell who I had previously seen give award-worthy performances as Eric Love in the movie “Starred Up” and Pukey Nicholls in “This is England”; was the same one who played the role of the protagonist Louie Zamperini in Unbroken. Based on what I’ve seen him do in Starred Up there is absolutely no question that O’Connell is an impressive actor. However, I think that he’s one of those actors who does a lot better playing a bad boy or a thug, and therefore I felt his performance came across as a bit lacking or distant.

• Unbroken (Biographical Drama Movie)
  • In addition, I think that the storytelling element needed a bit more thought and work. I felt that Jolie should have tried to find a more unique way to begin the film rather than just settling with the cliche flashback technique in order to show a contrast between Zamperini’s life before and during the war. As a result I felt it dampened the emotional impact that the movie had on audiences such as myself, while I think had it been done differently it could have been thrilling from start to finish.

• Unbroken (Biographical Drama Movie)
  • On the same point of the directing style, I thought that Jolie could have played more on the lighting in order to create a contrast between mood and the change of political climate. I felt that it might have been more emotional had she made the scenes in which Zamperini excels as an athlete brighter and more surreal in contrast with a darker mood and darker lighting as a prisoner of war with the Japanese.

Furthermore, I think that Jolie could have also played on the lighting as well as used a deeper focus and longer shots while Zamperini and his companions were stranded at sea, as a means of portraying the mood.

• Unbroken (Biographical Drama Movie)
  • Overall though, despite its blunders I think that the plot was what really carried the movie along. If most of the details in the story and the book are true, then it’s very inspirational since Zamperini keeps fighting even when things are completely hopeless and it seems almost completely obvious that he’s going to die.

On the other hand though, some things, that is the trials Zamperini went through seemed a little exaggerated for the purpose of drama and excitement even though I did not read the book.

If you’re looking for an interesting historical and biographical film, then Unbroken is a fairly good watch. It’s not one hundred percent perfect, but it’s still enjoyable.

Andrew Leither says :

I agree with you and loved the movie review. I am not generally used to or into biographical dramas, but I may even take a look at the movie. I will decide for myself once I have seen the movie trailer but very good review and precise and the way you moved with it I felt as if I was drawn into the movie itself.

quick note by anonymous :

this movie shows the mindset of people during world war in whole new light. it develops a new perspective towards the happenings.

Andrew Leith says :

I agree, there was a certain kind of mindset of the people during war times, and sheds a whole new light on what people were like. The movie director, Angelina Jolie, knows how to make these kind of movies. Jack O’Connell played as Louis Zamperini, very nice role as acting performance goes. I am not usually into these kind of movies, but write up of reviews on the web opened a whole new perspective.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 119021652970629/k2311a029/2.9.16