The Flash TV Season 2, Episode 10: Potential Energy  » TV  »
  • While that didn't happen, Barry in this episode, faced the dilemma whether it was the right time to share Patty his secret and I think Iris gave him the heads up that with certain amount of time, Patty was going to find out and it was best she heard it from him
  • Once, again, I'm comicbook-lite on DC heroes so I enjoy being able to do that once in a while in a show
  • I thought it was nice both father and daughter were helping each other cope in getting to know Wally and they have to prepare themselves for Francine's eventual passing
  • I found out Cisco has been watching this metahuman for quite some time and aptly named him, Turtle due to his ability to slow time
  • I've enjoyed Panabaker's portrayal of Snow and wished she'll have more expansion to her character

by Ossiriand10

The teaser brought some worry for me because it showed the most used material of all and probably what all superheroes have nightmares - losing someone they love at the hands of their archenemies.

It was tried and tested and while this was scary, I wished the show came in from a different angle since almost everyone in Barry’s world knew he was Flash so why couldn’t Patty too.

• The Flash TV Season 2, Episode 10: Potential Energy
  • Looking at the overall scene, I wondered if Patty was the one having the nightmare for a change and it was from her POV. She was part of the meta-human task force so danger was a given. She had run-ins with the Flash, her accidental shooting of Earth-2 Wells at StarLabs are just about any number of circumstances for her inquisitive mind to send her down the path in figuring out Barry’s alter-ego. While that didn’t happen, Barry in this episode, faced the dilemma whether it was the right time to share Patty his secret and I think Iris gave him the heads up that with certain amount of time, Patty was going to find out and it was best she heard it from him.

• The Flash TV Season 2, Episode 10: Potential Energy
  • There were a lot of hints that happened in this episode which I liked very much because it was like piecing a clue after another to piece a theory which will be thrown out of the window after an episode came every week, which I don’t mind and that was the fun part. The show kept me wondering and talking about it. Once, again, I’m comicbook-lite on DC heroes so I enjoy being able to do that once in a while in a show.

This week, Joe (Jesse L. Martin) was doing his best to get to know his son, Wally (Keiynan Lonsdale)and shared a little about his detective world which Wally wasn’t really hyped to it until, a police officer towed a handcuffed man and this man blurted out “Where your cuffs, taillights?” I didn’t get at first what the guy meant and as the episode went further along, I understood. Wally was into illegal drag racing to pay for his Mom’s sky high medical bills. I liked that at every episode, Joe and Iris were continually growing as characters. We found out from previous episodes why he and his wife Francine became estranged and how much Iris (Candice Patton) had grown emotionally to cope without a mother later, to be handed down a bomb from Francine who came back to re-connect even for a short time because she was dying. I think I would be in twisted state if that happened to me. I also think perhaps Iris focused on the good moments she always had with her father and understood why he lied to her in the first place about her mother being dead because he only was protecting her. I thought it was nice both father and daughter were helping each other cope in getting to know Wally and they have to prepare themselves for Francine’s eventual passing.

Jesse L. Martin (as Joe West) gets to show Joe’s vulnerable side as he connects with his son, Wally. There was rockiness between the two guys. Martin and Lonsdale portrayed their characters respectively in not heading close to a cardboard performance which I’ve seen sometimes happen when actors may have difficulty on where their characters are coming from at that point. Martin and Lonsdale gave their characters the impression - there will be some reconciliation but it will not be easy.

• The Flash TV Season 2, Episode 10: Potential Energy
  • I thought it was a nice break from Earth-2 metahumans. I found out Cisco has been watching this metahuman for quite some time and aptly named him, Turtle due to his ability to slow time. I also found it funny Turtle (portrayed by Aaron Douglas) was never revealed to Barry throughout the season and it looked like the carpet was pulled under Barry’s feet which made me chuckle. Douglas’ portrayal of Turtle’s creepiness was on the quiet side which I think coincided with his manipulation of time.

It was interesting to see the episode was written by Bryan Q. Miller who I’ve followed through his “Smallville” run and even through the comics so I was particularly excited and had a feeling there could be double meanings going on for this episode.

Now, there was also “story by” credit so from what I’ve remembered from screenwriting books, Brooke Roberts came up with the basic story and Miller worked off on that material plus whatever plots that must have been on standby for this season. I’m not sure if that was how a writing team managed plot themes when every now and then, the show would have a different writer on board. It would great to know if I was not but I think there are other factors that go into mapping the plot for a season.

My attention was drawn to his dialogue when Turtle was going to kidnap Patty, “To take the thing most precious…” but Patty doesn’t comprehend, “Who, Barry?” This only made the Turtle to roll his eyes even if he wanted but he said “The Flash” and I thought that was as close to a hint the writers put in the script. Patty Spivot (Shantel Vansanten) at this point was ditched by Barry after attending a formal party so she was headed to close their relationship unless Barry will be honest with her.

How many cues will it have to take for Patty to figure it out? She’s been pictured as very smart, adept and thorough detective and unfortunately, due to her emotions, she failed to apply the same smarts in piecing together Barry’s alter ego. By this episode, I was finding it strange for Spivot not seeing it.

Shantel Vansanten’s take of Spivot was an enjoyable character which I was very surprised because I’ve seen the actress on “The Messengers” and I had a hard time relating to her. I don’t know whether the show’s material was giving the actress a hard time to connect with her character but here in “The Flash” there was chemistry between Spivot and Allen. They seemed able to play off each other and that communicated through. I remember during their earlier times Spivot and Allen met, Vansanten had to deliver a joke and astonishingly, her playacting came natural in my little opinion. Grant Gustin and Shantel Vansanten were at ease inhabiting their respective characters so the first encounter, didn’t appear forced.

• The Flash TV Season 2, Episode 10: Potential Energy
  • Showcasing Turtle’s power against Flash was quite fascinating how the visual team interpreted it and cinematographer Stephen Whelan movement of cameras during Turtle’s and Flash’s zones were like taking a peek inside their bubbles and how it was seen from their POVs. I really liked how it played. CGI Flash can get too obvious but it wasn’t too harsh that illusion was totally destroyed.

• The Flash TV Season 2, Episode 10: Potential Energy
  • I may belonged to the minority liking Jay Garrick (Teddy Sears) and Caitlin Snow (Danielle Panabaker) and I thought it was great to see more of these two slowly take another step to be romantic. I still can’t figure out Garrick if he’s actually Zoom but then it couldn’t be because there was a flashback where he fought Zoom. I’m still watching closely for clues in this episode.

I liked that they get a chance to go out to a party in undercover if very short. One thing that puzzled me was, Garrick was written to be working in a room allotted for him in StarLabs but so far I haven’t seen that room. Was he working on the room where the main breach was located? If so, how was it there was no continuity scene that he has set up shop there? Garrick to me, was ending up to be a character likely to be forgotten. If it hadn’t for Sears imposing physique, it was hard not to forget.

I’ve enjoyed Panabaker’s portrayal of Snow and wished she’ll have more expansion to her character.

I’m still on my toes as to who Zoom is and then as this episode spirals to close, Reverse-Flash arrives. For a while, I thought it was going to be Eddie Thawne instead it’s Eobard Thawne for another nail-biting cliffhanger.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 101021652850629/k2311a021/2.1.16