Comixology.com comic books website
  • When the usual comic books shop outlets packed up in preference to maintain a few branches in the city, I no longer bothered buying comics but when one of my favorite show continued in comic book format, I just had to check out my friend's recommendation of buying comic books through Comixology
  • Another thing I liked about it was I didn't need to download a program in order to read the comic books because if they did, it was an additional task for me which I don't like to do especially when a program is responsible for crashing my computer
  • I think the unique selling point of Comixology was bringing all these titles under one roof even if there are other niche issues not available at their site but majority can be found here, which was a plus since it can be very tiring to open new accounts elsewhere
  • It happened twice and have emailed their support unfortunately, there were no response to my emails
  • This makes the re-reading a pleasant experience because there had been times when the site has a lot of traffic, the comic reader of the site buffers going to the next page so I usually do my reading on times where there's a high volume traffic which was usually in the afternoon my time

by Ossiriand10

When the usual comic books shop outlets packed up in preference to maintain a few branches in the city, I no longer bothered buying comics but when one of my favorite show continued in comic book format, I just had to check out my friend’s recommendation of buying comic books through Comixology.
  • Comixology.com website
  • The site’s name was very easy to recall so it facilitated my frequent visit to it. I was glad my friend told me I can find several of my favorite comic book titles in one place. Although there have been cases when I was searching for other works done by JK Woodward, his other comic book niche projects were only available in a different site and not in Comixology.

I preferred having to go to one site for my comic books source because I find it cumbersome to have a lot of online accounts just to get one particular comic series done by a comic book artist so if that happens, I usually let it go and was just happy that majority of JK Woodward’s work can be found in Comixology.

When I browsed around the site, there were a lot of attractors (sales, freebies, digital firsts etc) which made me come back too I was able to buy Neil Gaiman “The Books of Magic,” Robert Jordan’s “Wheel of Time” series during their sales and then checking out other familiar titles: Shield, Star Trek/Dr Who crossovers, Smallville, Star Trek/ Green Lantern crossovers, Star Wars, Voltron, Supergirl, Prince Valiant, Dresden titles or other graphic novels whenever they announced through their twitter account.

Another thing I liked about it was I didn’t need to download a program in order to read the comic books because if they did, it was an additional task for me which I don’t like to do especially when a program is responsible for crashing my computer.

I’m glad the site enabled me to just be able to read off from their site after I’ve purchased the title. I liked that they have their own built-in comic reader with neat features to make the reading more enjoyable and entertaining.

It was enjoyable and entertaining because they had zoom tools or the guided view which I really liked very much because this feature helped me what panel was next and it didn’t make my attention wander all over the page. This also helped in the story because the emphasis was placed at one panel at a time letting me be immersed in the reading too. It also lets me check out the details of the art work done on the comic series. Using the guided view didn’t disrupt the flow of the story too. My attention tend to rove so using guided view for my reading prevents that from happening.

I think the unique selling point of Comixology was bringing all these titles under one roof even if there are other niche issues not available at their site but majority can be found here, which was a plus since it can be very tiring to open new accounts elsewhere. So after registering an account with Comixology,(which now can be down in 3 ways) it was easy to browse comics through their provided tabs or search field navigation.

Sometimes, common keywords will bring up lots of selections that I need to be specific enough to find what I was looking for.

• Comixology.com website
  • One thing that puzzled me was when I encountered errors in trying to purchase a comic book title over the holidays. It happened twice and have emailed their support unfortunately, there were no response to my emails. I’ve even sent a message through twitter still no response. I didn’t try again because I was annoyed and let the matter go.

They have another external feedback form which I didn’t use then because I was disappointed that the email address they indicated probably wasn’t the email address to send the error problems I’ve encountered. If that was the case, they could have replaced the email address on the prompt to a different email address appropriate to handle the process error.

• Comixology.com website
  • A feature that really piqued my interest was Comixology’s “Submit” feature which enabled graphic artists or production company to have a chance to self-publish their indie series for circulation.

The internal links they have either for indie title, niche titles as well as for the mainstream comic books titles were very helpful especially when viewing inside the pre-selected pages. For me, I always clicked on “View inside” because I want to gauge whether I’m going to like the series or not. Sometimes, the art work inside puts me off and since I’ve grown to have a couple of favorite artists, I’ve become selective but if I see the art work was precise and facial features of characters were recognizable or doesn’t look haphazardly drawn just to fill a page - I buy the graphic novel or comic book but if the art work was too gritty or it looked different as seen in the TV series, I just abandon it so navigation through the site or through the prospective graphic novel was a good experience.

I was able to buy from this section an indie title called “The Agency” vol 1 and “Prey for Angels” which I haven’t read and I’m looking forward to them. I think adding this feature was a great attractor to the site. I haven’t seen from other big comic book houses (IDW, Dynamite etc) having something similar posted on their site but if there was, it was probably within their circles.

I think including this helps the indie comic book writer too. I don’t know if they’ve thought about this, but I hope Comixology will open a platform for comic writers with no graphic arts background to work with a indie graphic artist. It could be tricky due to the possible legal issues and payment issues hopefully, something in the future will come around.

• Comixology.com website
  • There were times I welcome this subscription recommendations which were based from my purchase history but I decided to decline using subscriptions because I prefer to check the issues first and either buy separate or buy per volume.

I didn’t see the point in wanting to be the first to have an issue. I have to thank Harry Potter books for curing me from that need because it freed me from the “I need” mentality.

• Comixology.com website
  • I liked that some of my purchased titles has a back-up option and it happened to be my favorite series so I have the luxury to read it offline and don’t have to go log-in to read the titles.

This makes the re-reading a pleasant experience because there had been times when the site has a lot of traffic, the comic reader of the site buffers going to the next page so I usually do my reading on times where there’s a high volume traffic which was usually in the afternoon my time.

Despite the little hiccups along the way, I’m glad my friend directed me to this site.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2028011652820631/k2311a0128/1.28.16