Me Before You by JoJo Moyes, book  » Books  »
  • Louisa's family is quirky and funny which give them a realism that they wouldn't have if weren't so flawed
  • I found his mother to be cold in the beginning
  • I have to say that I thought about this book long after I had finished it
  • I would recommend it to those that like to read thought provoking topics

• by Elizabeth Melito

This book was a little slow but once I got about a quater into it I couldn’t put it down. In a nutshell, Louisa Clark has no idea that when she loses her cushy little job in town that her life is going to be turned upside down. Her new job puts her in close proximity to Will Traynor, who is confined to wheelchair, and things will never be the same for her.

When Louisa meets Will he is bitter and closed off. His wheelchair is his prison. He is totally dependent on his caretakers. Will’s life was much different before the accident that put

him in that wheelchair. He lost his job, his friends and even his girlfriend. Will’s paralysis also causes other medical problems. These secondary problems are often life threatening. I hadn’t thought of things from this perspective before reading this book.

This is not your typical love story. I have to say that I had no idea what to expect when I started to read this book. But once I got started I couldn’t put it down. The characters were well developed and most were likable. I really like the arc that the character of Louisa takes. She is pushed way outside her comfort zone and rises to the challenge. Will is changed because Louisa is in his life. But how much she actually makes a difference is questionable. The supporting characters are also very enjoyable. Louisa’s family is quirky and funny which give them a realism that they wouldn’t have if weren’t so flawed. Will’s family is wealthy and is slightly stereotypical of people of means. I found his mother to be cold in the beginning. But the author is able to make her sympathetic as the book goes on.

This book is very emotional. It often ...

• Me Before You by JoJo Moyes, book
      raises issues that I haven’t thought of before. I still do not know how I feel about the message of the book. I hadn’t given much thought to the issues of the disabled. But this book brings many of these issues to the forefront and does this in a very in your face way. The author was not very subtle when making her points. I was in tears several times and had to stop and put the book down, dry my eyes and take a breath before I could go on. But this was not to say I didn’t like it. I don’t know if
      enjoyable is the correct word. But I am glad that I read this.

I have to say that I thought about this book long after I had finished it. I guess you could say I found it haunting. It really stayed with me. I would recommend it to those that like to read thought provoking topics. It is a great read for book clubs as there are many topics to cover. My book club had a very robust debate after reading Me Before You. It brought up topic that I hadn’t even thought of. This is a great conversation starter.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1727011652810631/k2311a0127/1.27.16