Nature’s Variety Instinct Canned Cat Food
  • My cats have all previously been eating a certain kind of cheap cat food and on account of how much I've seen them throw up and have stomach and weight problems I decided to do some research to see what I could do to improve the health of my furbabies
  • I do not recommend the Beef and Venison flavors very often because their consistency is a little off putting
  • I found it particularly satisfying to see a small amount of pumpkin in the full ingredient flavors as that also aids in your cat's digestion
  • My only real complaint is that it's very expensive
  • I believe it's worth the price for as long as I can pay for it

• by Carmela H

My cats have all previously been eating a certain kind of cheap cat food and on account of how much I’ve seen them throw up and have stomach and weight problems I decided to do some research to see what I could do to improve the health of my furbabies. It was actually very astonishing to me the information out there that is not readily available at the vet or on the pet food websites. Cats are obligate carnivores. They have to eat meat to thrive and survive. This is something not even the fanciest dry food can not provide for them. I also read about how grains ruin their digestive track and cause harmful problems in their stomachs. To make a long story short: I needed to find a wet cat food that not only my cats would enjoy but is made in USA, does not have harmful chemicals

and thickening agents, no grains, no soy, and is made of mostly meat. (Most cat food cans say they are made chicken or beef or turkey but it’s usually by-product of those meats.

(Tip: Look on the ingredients label of your cat food can. The ingredients are labeled by order of amount. If your cat food can says “Chicken” and the first ingredient listed is “Chicken” than it is mostly chicken.)

Nature’s Variety Instinct Canned Cat Food was everything I was looking for. This cat food grain-free. It is made with all digestible ingredients and is manufactured in the USA.

There’s a wide variety of flavors including: Chicken, Rabbit, Beef, Venison, Salmon, Duck, Lamb, and they have their “Limited Ingredient Diet” which I’ve only seen in the Turkey and Lamb flavors. My cats happen to enjoy the limited diets just as much as they do the original flavors.

I do not recommend

the Beef and Venison flavors very often because their consistency is a little off putting. No matter where I buy them their texture is way too dried out when I open them.

You can buy this Nature’s Variety Instinct at Petco, Petsmart, Pets Plus, Pets Supplies Plus, and usually anywhere that is chain or private pet store. You most likely will not find this food in a grocery story (I haven’t).

As for the ingredients; the Limited Ingredient Turkey diet includes Turkey as the first ingredient (and you can really smell the meat in it), Turkey Broth, Turkey Liver, a majority of different vitamins, and I was very happy to see Taurine in the list as it is an important nutrient protein that keeps your cat heart healthy.

In the full ingredient flavors there’s a lot of vegetables which I read cats don’t actually need but it doesn’t hurt them.Vegetable like Kale and ...

• Nature's Variety Instinct Canned Cat Food
      Broccoli can be found in some flavors. I found it particularly satisfying to see a small amount of “pumpkin” in the full ingredient flavors as that also aids in your cat’s digestion. These are all to add onto what the “Limited Ingredient Diet” already provides.

My cats didn’t like it at first but I kept mixing it with their prior brand of wet food. I did that for a couple of weeks and before I knew it they were in love with their new food. I just recently got a kitten and she likes it too. They are all more energetic, go to the bathroom regularly, and I am very happy to report that they never throw up this food in the few months they’ve been eating it so far.

My only real complaint is that it’s very expensive. It goes up to $3.00 a can for certain flavors. The cheapest flavors

can be found for just under $2.00 like the Chicken flavor. I believe it’s worth it especially since I don’t buy dry food anymore but I might not be able to afford it for long.

My only other complaint is that this canned food only comes as a pate’ texture. So, if your cat doesn’t like Pate’ and much rather eat filets or shreds cat food than they might not like this food.

This brand is rarely ever on sale. I also never receive coupons for it.

I do recommend this brand to my friends who are looking to put their cats on a healthy and grain-free diet. I believe it’s worth the price for as long as I can pay for it. My cats are very happy with it especially the Lamb, Turkey, and Duck flavors!

In addition to canned cat food– Nature’s Variety Instinct also makes dry food and dog food.

Carmela H adds :

re : My only real complaint is that it’s very expensive
I agree. It is very expensive. I’ve seen some stores jack up the price to $ 3.40 a can. I do research on healthy and grain-free cat food all the time so if I find another that’s just as good but less expensive I’m going to write a review on that too.

Carmela H adds :

re : I do not recommend the Beef and Venison flavors very often because their consistency is a little off putting
I agree. I recently stopped buying both of those flavors. The meat in them always looks like it’s gone bad or is dried out.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2921011652700631/k2311a0121/1.21.16