Seventh Son movie (2015)
  • I thought the movie had potential if only it was handled better
  • The art direction and set design was good and modest
  • I've seen Bridges' other works and haven't been disappointed except here, were I was left wondering why he saw Gregory as a stereotypical drunken old man with a mysterious past
  • We saw a man who clearly has seen a lot in his travel and had easily learned a trick or two to defend himself without trying so much, was a bit lackluster but I think if we had seen him fight Malkin after he caged her much earlier, maybe that would have helped us get a glimpse what the Spook was
  • I hope this won't become a one-off movie unfortunately, the movie didn't make a good performance in the box office so I may have to satisfy my curiosity by reading John Delaney's books

by Ossiriand10

I’ll be coming as a viewer who hasn’t read the book series by Joseph Delaney but after having seen the movie, I’ll be buying a copy of book 1 of the series.

• Seventh Son movie (DVD)
  • I thought the movie had potential if only it was handled better. The SFX was good enough not to jar me off my viewing whether it was the bogart, animal-changing sequences or the ghosts or the witches attack of the town.

As far as I can tell, the FX team serviced their FX for the story to further add the feel of the grittiness of the world of the “Seventh Son” which they achieved.

I still wished though director Sergei Bodrov had decided also to add more build up to the scenes or didn’t rush through either so the final product wouldn’t feel too generic.

The art direction and set design was good and modest. There were other B-movies I’ve seen before which were way more problematic in the art direction, props, set designs etc that I could find the choppiness through the scenes.

I’ve read a summarized script review which only had highlights due to spoiler issues and there were several differences from the script to the final movie. As I read them, I also wondered why those scenes were left out when it would have helped elevate the movie, the characters and the created world.

• Seventh Son movie (DVD)
  • Watching the movie, there were instances which bothered me, one was Gregory (also known as the Spook), protects the people from witches, bogarts and anything else that go bump in the dark; was portrayed by Jeff Bridges. I’ve seen Bridges’ other works and haven’t been disappointed except here, were I was left wondering why he saw Gregory as a stereotypical drunken old man with a mysterious past? Bridges’ interpretation of the character’s accent, troubled me too since there were times, I didn’t hear him clearly.

Then my curiosity led me to stumble upon the script article were it said that the Spook as man who was serious with his work and really wanted to help people from evil, - so why change this? I thought that would have been a better portrayal.

I thought the bar fight in the beginning of film didn’t help Gregory reveal quickly what else his character was. We saw a man who clearly has seen a lot in his travel and had easily learned a trick or two to defend himself without trying so much, was a bit lackluster but I think if we had seen him fight Malkin after he caged her much earlier, maybe that would have helped us get a glimpse what the Spook was. I wished the director planted more hints into the scenes of the characters too than let the audience imagine some cliche scenarios.

A scene that bugged me was when Malkin (Julianne Moore) shape-shifted into a dragon and bellowed, “Time has made me stronger!” I was half-expecting Malkin swooping for a kill to make her point or did the incantation Gregory cast earlier affected her after all? We weren’t given an inkling. Instead we were left with a dry, flat scene of the dragon flying away with a promise of vengeance.

• Seventh Son movie (DVD)
  • The meeting of Gregory and Tom’s mother (Olivia Williams) scene strung me out to dry despite the very basic dialogue that passed between them and possibly, a shrug from the father. I think Williams and Bridges did well in communicating that their characters have crossed paths before but just gave each other a wide berth when needed.

It was like Gregory knew about Mam Ward but he had to actually proved it but it wasn’t the time so he went about his business and secured her son portrayed by Ben Barnes to be his next apprentice.

I sighed a lot of times when I felt a good scene could have been inserted but there was not much else presented. I would have found it heart-warming if we had seen Mam Ward training her son, Tom in secret in order for him to understand his witch heritage but that revelation only came up nearing the end of the movie when Gregory saw the pendant around Tom’s neck. He pieced together who was the witch (Mam Ward) responsible for stealing it in the first place which enabled him to defeat Malkin the first time. The payoff happened so late that having the confirmation wasn’t satisfying anymore.

• Seventh Son movie (DVD)
  • Julianne Moore’s take on Malkin and in a fantasy genre was something I had to get used to. I’m somehow stuck on her contemporary portrayal of characters. I liked her portrayal of Malkin yet like every character in the movie, still made me want to know more about her.

Malkin was shown to have that deadly dragon tail yet it was only good for desiccating her minions. I had trouble believing why she wanted Gregory alive so they have their face-off. She had years of anger bottled up inside and it appeared to be a miracle Malkin wasn’t fraying at the edges at the start of the movie.

One gripe though was her costume -the tall feather-collar (above), reminded me closely of Charlize Theron’s costume in “Snow White and the Huntsman.”

• Seventh Son movie (DVD)
  • Ben Barnes as Tom Ward was good here too with everyone inhabiting their respective characters. Barnes played on as much material available to him in order to help further the director’s vision of the movie. I thought he carried Ward with enough artistic resourcefulness and managed to show Ward’s soft side whenever Alice was around and Ward’s curiosity about the girl but still mindful of this Spook business, he has launched himself into.

I hope this won’t become a one-off movie unfortunately, the movie didn’t make a good performance in the box office so I may have to satisfy my curiosity by reading Joseph Delaney’s books. If there were important scenes that weren’t left out, maybe the movie might have done better.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1121011652690631/k2311a0121/1.21.16