The Danish Girl (2015 Film)  » Movies  »
  • Period dramas are not that interesting to me unless they are released to compete for awards
  • Take for example Age of Adaline , it was very nonsensical and boring because it was solely made for entertainment
  • Dramas that are purely based on true stories (The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything) are quite the opposite though, I learned from their struggles, their truths and their triumphs
  • I'm proud enough to say, I really love the film
  • But for me, I think Vikander was the real star here, and if you'll watch the film, you will understand

by Laudemhir Jan Parel

Period dramas are not that interesting to me unless they are released to compete for awards. Take for example “Age of Adaline”, it was very nonsensical and boring because it was solely made for entertainment. It was presented like it was a true story but it was purely science fiction.

Dramas that are purely based on true stories (The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything) are quite the opposite though, I learned from their struggles, their truths and their triumphs.

The Danish Girl however, is one that is lost between two.

• The Danish Girl (2015 Film)
  • Ever since its announcement last year, everyone foresee it as the 2016 Oscars Frontrunner. And who wouldn’t when you have director Tom Hooper? He won Best Picture and Best Director in 2013 with The King’s Speech and was nominated with Les Miserables in 2014. It also stars Eddie Redmayne, fresh from his Oscar win last year for Best Actor after portraying Stephen Hawking in The Theory of Everything. Also add in prolific music composer Alexandre Desplat who helmed the film’s score, for which he won the Oscar last year for his music in The Grand Budapest Hotel.

See? Every star seemed to align for The Danish Girl to take home plenty awards this Oscar season, but alas, it seems like fate has gone wrong this time around. But that’s for critics to say. My thoughts seemed perfectly the opposite! I’m proud enough to say, “I really love the film.”

The film’s premise tells us the encouraging story of the first recipient of sex change in Denmark, Lily Elbe (played by Redmayne) and his struggle with his wife and his identity.

• The Danish Girl (2015 Film)
  • Eddie Redmayne is a remarkably versatile and talented actor. After his critically-acclaimed performance in The Theory of Everything last 2014, everyone was rooting for his next project. And this is the film. Basically, after the trailer premiered, I immediately said, “Redmayne may just be able to win it back to back.” I said that because I think he rightfully deserves it. It’s very hard trying to act like woman especially when you are a man, but he was able to do so with such grace and elegance. He never went to becoming a seriously unappealing version of himself as a girl, but instead, tried to make herself act like a girl.

However, my main concern about the film was that it never really made me involve in it. I was more too focused to watch and enjoy Redmayne’s performance rather than the story. Now that’s a good thing and a bad thing. The good is that Redmayne could have carried the film all by itself, the bad is that, there’s no emotional satisfaction and connection. Perhaps that’s for the director to blame, his artsy filming style might have been a distraction for some.

• The Danish Girl (2015 Film)
  • Also, the film seems going nowhere. The premise was too late in its promise. There’s a lot of shots that felt like they are very unnecessary. They focused too much on Redmayne’s transformation to a girl rather than his struggles after her operation.

As a matter of fact though, there wasn’t a scene that bored me. They were all gorgeous shots, but after hearing what my friend said about the film, “It’s boring, Redmayne was way too focused in his performance,” I changed my mind a bit. It was more of an art rather than a story.

• The Danish Girl (2015 Film)
  • Redmayne was not the only star in the film, in fact I think he wasn’t the brightest. Alicia Vikander seemed to steal all the thunder in her heartbreaking and vulnerable performance as Lily Elbe’s wife. Her struggle with his husband was one of the most heartbreaking story I have seen this year. Her role was very hard, but she managed to do it with perfection and heartbreak.

People seemed to notice only Redmayne’s performance though because it was sold like it was “his” film. But for me, I think Vikander was the real star here, and if you’ll watch the film, you will understand.

• The Danish Girl (2015 Film)
  • Technically speaking, everything is perfect in this film. The cinematography is very topnotch. As I said before, it’s very artsy, and the shots are extremely delicate, nice and beautiful. The color tones seemed a bit dark unlike Theory in Everything, but it suited perfectly in the film. The Danish landscape at the end of the film were such a highlight, makes me wanna go there.

The music, for which I listened once in Spotify was very great too. Thanks to the Academy Award winning composer Desplat for his melodramatic score. Some parts of the score reminded me of the score from Interstellar, especially the track called “The Mirror”. The main theme recurs a lot in the film, and it’s very memorable.

The make-up and costumes are certainly up for awards. I wouldn’t be surprised if this film ends up winning in this department in next month’s Oscar.

Now the film might sound off-putting, but trust me, don’t let the critics bother your thoughts. I had longed to see this film because I was dying to see Redmayne’s new project and for that part, it was really worth it. This is a film that focuses on the performances of its lead, and if that is something that you might enjoy, then you might as well watch this! You won’t be disappointed.

Kirsty Drinkwater says :

Such an amazing film I watched this film when it was first on the tv and i have to say i had no complaints about it. The acting was all amazing and it was so much like the book, unlike a lot of other films. Having already read The Danish Girl and then also read the original book Man Into Woman, written by Lili Elbe herself, I still had nothing to complain about with this movie. The actors portrayed the people so well, especially Eddie Redmayne who played a wonderful Lili. Normally when watching movies of books that i have read before i like to point out things that are wrong or big events that are missed from the films that they really should have included, but this time i found that this film had everything. I would recommend this film to anyone. It is such a wonderful story of the difficult journey of self discovery and making the choices necessary to become the person you were meant to be. This is such an emotional story and brings to light the difficulties that a lot of people face.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1114011652600831/k2311a0114/1.14.16