Progresso New England Clam Chowder Soup  » Food  »
2.0
  • On the downside, as a whole (and I hate to say this) Progresso’s version of New England Clam Chowder just isn’t as good a product as the Chunky line nor he standard condensed line of Campbell’s in my opinion

• by James Davenport

Once again, I’m digging back into the ol’lunch pail to see what’s soup’s on, and yet again it’s “chowdah” time. On the soup docket today is Progresso Traditional New England Clam Chowder, but how does it stand up with it’s competitors? You know I’m hungry enough to find out.

In the first place, as anyone who has ever been in the soup aisle at the grocery store (which is hopefully everyone) knows, Progresso is every bit as dominant (at least in the US) as their competitor classic Campbell’s. One could even say Progresso is

the “Pepsi soup” to the big red-and-white’s Coke. I generally like Progresso for it’s variety and dare I say, it’s “exoticness” when relatively compared with its main competitor. The big red C’s soups tend to focus more on a traditional American style (buzzwords like hearty, meaty, chunky, emphasis on large portions, tons of meat.) Progresso’s focus seems to be more on health, low fat, low sodium and differences (how many other companies that make soup have one called “Italian Wedding?”) This is all a roundabout way of saying that I generally commend Progresso for going in a different direction. But what pro things can I say for Progresso’s version of New England Clam Chowder? Well…umm…the broth tastes more like real milk than the Campbell’s version, there’s that. And also, it tastes lower in salt….but yeah, that’s about it.

Hmm, think you can see where this is going? Yeah good eye. On the downside, as a whole (and I hate to say this) Progresso’s version of New England Clam Chowder just isn’t as good a product as the Chunky line nor he standard condensed line of Campbell’s in ...

• Progresso New England Clam Chowder Soup
      my opinion. The clam chunks are tiny. The potato chunks are barely bigger than the clam (It can be hard to tell them apart, if you don’t look closely enough.) The broth is watery, so liquid in fact, I feel like I’m eating a soup that somebody else “uncondensed” and then re-canned it afterwards. The flavor doesn’t taste bad or anything, but it isn’t all that distinct…kind of bland. I keep resisting the urge to doctor it, because if you add salt and pepper you could ruin the low sodium benefit from
      the soup Progresso touts on the label. Maybe sea salt would be okay? Whatever.

Bottom line, at around $3 a can from your grocer (Kroger, Walmart etc) Progresso Traditional New England Clam Chowder isn’t the worst thing you could eat. In point of fact, it’s probably good for you as is. The trouble there, you can really tell the difference between it and its competitors’ chowder. Progresso DOES make some great healthy and tasty soup alternatives, I’m just not all that crazy about their New England Chowder. I pass, there are far better ones out there.

slynnnowak gmail.com says :

Iam not a huge fan of soup but I have tried progresso clam chowder, very hearty thick,creamy, love it. Its one of my favorires. Very tastey.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 275011652410731/k2311a015/1.5.16