Progresso Light Santa Fe Style Chicken Soup  » Food  »
  • It’s become one of my favorite flavors from them, much better than their New England Clam Chowder in my opinion
  • Try it that way folks, I think it’s great, and I’m betting you’ll think so too
  • Also, while I like the broth, just as a personal preference complaint, I still don’t take in too much of it (without tortilla sopping or something like that first)
  • I know, perhaps T-M-I, but if it’s a minor problem for me, it might be for you too when you try it, just saying

• by James Davenport

Guess what time it is again?

(Don’t break out in a sweat…I’m being rhetorical of course. Trust me, you’re good!)

It’s time to break out the old mythical lunch pail and thermos again to sample yet another lunchtime soup. (Can you tell I’m on a diet and working out again yet?) On the docket is Progresso Light Santa Fe Style Chicken. How’s it taste? Is it a great soup buy? Or did it just leave me all wet? Stick around and find out! (Yeah yeah, I know the language is a tad cheesy, but comeon, it’s soup! Come along with me!)

For starters, as I said in a previous

writing, Progresso is the OTHER big soup maker in my world (AKA Southeast Texas, but I’m sure you can find their cans in every market in the US-of-A.) There market strategy seems to be in contrast to the mega red-and-white label C soup, in that Progresso seems to focus on healthy living and diet. This is especially true here, as obviously (just in case you skimmed over the last part of the first paragraph) this is a LIGHT soup. But you want to know something? I honestly can’t really tell. While I haven’t the slightest clue if this soup tastes anything like a dish from Santa Fe, the soup is still pretty good. The chunks of chicken may not be all that by themselves, but mixed with the generous portions of rice, beans, and trace amounts of corn in the broth, and it all fuses together on the palette nicely. It’s not spicy, but flavorful for a store bought mass-produced soup. It’s become one of my favorite flavors from them, much better than their New England Clam Chowder in my opinion. It goes great with almost any type of sandwich, but as the name implies, it’s an even better compliment to tortilla wraps, and light Mexican food. I’ll often take a little ...

• Progresso Light Santa Fe Style Chicken Soup
      corn tortilla and dip it plain into the broth. Try it that way folks, I think it’s great, and I’m betting you’ll think so too.

The downsides to this soup aren’t many, but it wouldn’t be fair if I didn’t at least mention them. As I already touched on, the chicken bits are small, not as tiny as the portions in mainline Campbell’s Condensed, but not very big. Also, while I like the broth, just as a personal preference complaint, I still don’t take in too much of it (without tortilla sopping or something like that first.) It’s not too salty, but for whatever reason I find

if I have all the broth the stuff gives me…well…the runs. I know, perhaps T-M-I, but if it’s a minor problem for me, it might be for you too when you try it, just saying. Okay, icky part over!

Finally, is Progresso Light Santa Fe Style Chicken soup worth the buy? Unlike their clam chowder, I’d say a solid yes. These are the kinds of soups Progresso does well. At about $3-$4 a can at any major grocer in the US (Walmart, Randall’s Kroger, etc) I think it’s a fine lunch alternative to the usual drive through faire. Hey, It’s good, to me that’s what really counts!

Trayon Thomas says :

Recently was shooked by a very bad cold and I really couldn’t eat anything. There was one thing that I could eat and it was soup. So I reached in my cabinet and pulled out a can of Progresso Light Santa Fe Style Chicken. This was the best thing I had eaten in years. The flavors of Santa Fe wrapped up in one can was very tasty and healthy for me. I would let the world know that this soup is worth buying.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2016. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 275011652380731/k2311a015/1.5.16