Supergirl episode 4: Livewire, TV show  » TV  »
  • From the first 6 episodes aired so far, Livewire was my highlight episode because a) Helen Slater as Eliza Danvers (Kara's adopted mom) makes for a longer appearance b) Dean Cain (seen in flashbacks) c) we finally get more glimpses into Cat Grant's (Kara's boss) personality, and d)Eliza and Alex moments, which I hope will see more as the full season rolls out next year
  • Nevertheless, it didn't deter me and I think this gave me 'fresh eyes' for the show
  • I've also long checked out my expectations at the door too after hearing about Supergirl was destined for the TV screens because I don't want my TV viewing to suffer so much because I spent the hour comparing her interpretation of Kara/Supergirl to Helen Slater's movie Supergirl or even to Laura Vandervoort for her Smallville
  • Kara because each actress will definitely bring their own skills in inhabiting this iconic character to life
  • I found her portrayal of Cat Grant unlikable and the way she sashayed around her office, reminded me too much of Meryl Streep's Miranda Priestly (The Devil Wears Prada) movie

by Ossiriand10

From the first 6 episodes aired so far, “Livewire” was my highlight episode because a) Helen Slater as Eliza Danvers (Kara’s adopted mom) makes for a longer appearance b) Dean Cain (seen in flashbacks) c) we finally get more glimpses into Cat Grant’s (Kara’s boss) personality, and d)Eliza and Alex moments, which I hope will see more as the full season rolls out next year.
  • Supergirl episode 4: Livewire
  • The is my first time seeing actress Melissa Benoist although my friend told me she was in “Glee” before. I’m familiar with “Glee” which I followed until season 2 so I wasn’t able to see her episodes which were in later seasons.

Nevertheless, it didn’t deter me and I think this gave me ‘fresh eyes’ for the show. I’ve also long checked out my expectations at the door too after hearing about Supergirl was destined for the TV screens because I don’t want my TV viewing to suffer so much because I spent the hour comparing her interpretation of Kara/Supergirl to Helen Slater’s movie Supergirl or even to Laura Vandervoort for her “Smallville: Kara” because each actress will definitely bring their own skills in inhabiting this iconic character to life.

I remember reading somewhere about Slater’s Kara/Supergirl was different from the current Supergirl versions because her Kara/Supergirl hasn’t undergone the DC reboot after “Crisis of Infinite Earths” comicbook issues. I’ve accepted the changes even if I don’t follow the comicbook route. I’m comicbook-lite so whatever future decisions the producers will have in leading the show, I hope for us who don’t follow the comics will still be able to keep up.

Anyway, the show’s producers have continued to add comicbook denizens which populate Supergirl’s world in the show and I’m still cautious to think it won’t turn into a villain-of-the week show but I think it hasn’t since the villains were either presented as part of a military program (such as Red Tornado), alien escaped prisoners or a result of a calamity such as Reactron and Livewire.

By leaving my expectations behind and keeping this mindset, it let me enjoy the show’s story for its highs and lows and catch the meaningful themes too.

When I watched the earlier episodes, I didn’t feel from Benoist the self-consciousness when she did her flying scenes or donning the uniform to her portrayal of Kara. So, I give her brownie stars for keeping in character. Granted, there were scenes that have fallen flat, I still think everyone connected with the show were finding their sea-legs so to speak and continue to learn from the experience.

• Supergirl episode 4: Livewire
  • I especially liked the mother-daughter themes presented in “Livewire,” which I was hungry for them to show it already. I thought I have to wait until episode 15 which was too long and if the show delayed it, it might leave the show without a heart. Slater as a strict Eliza Danvers, was a joy to watch even if I saw a bit of “Kristin Mercer” (from Lying Game) peeked out. This was my risk having seen actors in their previous projects with very little difference in the character look. Anyway, I booted out that comparison and went on watching the show.

Somehow I felt Helen wanted to chew on more dialogue so she could express Eliza more. I hope the writers will invite her again to further ground the show and add more roundness to Alex and Kara dynamic.

Chyler Leigh as Alex was seen as such a capable and strong woman because she’s an agent from DEO but this episode, we’ve seen her vulnerable side and I get a feeling Chyler was elated to finally get more in Alex’s head and play off with Slater.

• Supergirl episode 4: Livewire
  • The family scenes even if it all were done in flashbacks, we found out Jeremiah Danvers portrayed by Dean Cain, was a also scientist and later traded his services to the DEO to protect Kara. I’m glad the show brought on actors who were connected to the Superman/Supergirl mythos serving as great nod for their previous work.

The constraints I found when I watched flashbacks were that, we’re limited in finding out more about Jeremiah and it hurt when it was later revealed Jeremiah was killed during a field operation with the DEO.

I thought Dean made the most of his scenes given to him. He didn’t go overboard as a overbearing father but a disciplined one. He also immediately translated the concern to protect Kara and his daughter from any kind of backlash if the world found out or a certain government agency came in with an armload of threats against the family.

• Supergirl episode 4: Livewire
  • Another homage happened when Kara was struck by the lightning in her effort to rescue Leslie (the demoted radio talk DJ to traffic reporter) when her helicopter spun out of control after the lightning struck the tail rotors. This resulted Leslie in having powers of electricity.

This scene reminded eme of a “Smallville” scene when Clark was also struck by lightning inadvertently, giving to a rescued classmate. I liked these little cool nods the show keeps throwing to the audience.

I hope the producers will invite Tom Welling (Smallville} as Clark Kent on assignment if he doesn’t want to wear the red boots in the show. I think it will be great bit of a handshake between these shows.

• Supergirl episode 4: Livewire
  • I have to admit when I heard Calista Flockhart was onboard, I was apprehensive because I wasn’t thrilled with her portrayal in “Ally McBeal” so whenever she was in the scenes in those earlier “Supergirl” episodes, I was cringing. I found her portrayal of Cat Grant unlikable and the way she sashayed around her office, reminded me too much of Meryl Streep’s “Miranda Priestly” (The Devil Wears Prada) movie. Every week, I kept thinking please don’t present us a near caricature performance but surprisingly, in this episode, Cat showed a softer and concern side to Kara when they were attacked by Livewire.

I hope the writers will continue to build on this which so far, they’ve done in the next few episodes.

All in all, the FX of the show is good. There were still jarring bits from aliens smackdown to Supergirl take-off or landings because we always see them in super-speed style which was enough to make a dent on the cement road or rock the commuters.

Livewire’s face-off with Supergirl was okay. It wasn’t spectacular as I had hoped. I don’t know if the way show was edited caused this lackluster feeling.

I think here, I’m going to let my expectation fly a bit. I would love to see Kara land in gentler style especially having approached the location, she would have slowed down to compensate for a graceful landing but oh well, perhaps FX and time may not be on the side of production if they decided to do those kinds of scenes.

I’m looking forward in seeing more developments of Winn, James and Lucy, Hank and Alex all chipping in to assist Supergirl in the future story lines.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1014121652081231/k2311a1214/12.14.15