The Summer I Became a Nerd, novel by Leah Rae Miller
  • Despite the awful cover, I decided to give it a chance and I have to say, I had a really fun time reading it
  • I didn't really liked her character at first, I think you should always show yourself as you truly are, no matter what anybody else thinks, but little by little I ended up adoring her
  • She realizes that lying and not be true to yourself have its consequences and I truly enjoyed her journey and fell for her
  • On the other hand, we have Logan, a nerd boy who is handsome, intelligent and very interesting
  • Overall, this is a story that's very cliche and predictable, but also very funny at the same time

• by Andy Diaz

I’ve always considered myself a nerd, so when I read the synopsis of this book, I immediately thought, why not? Despite the awful cover, I decided to give it a chance and I have to say, I had a really fun time reading it.

Maddie spend an embarrassing moment when she let loose her nerd side in a costume party at school. She was so affected that she decided to become the typical girl: hot, nice, cheerleader and popular… and even thought she never abandoned her nerd side (who loves Star Wars, comics and science fiction specials), she hided from everyone, including her family. But then the last comic of The Super Ones comes out and the

delivery to her house will take three more weeks, something she can’t wait, and risking her image and reputation, Maddie “disguises” herself and decides to go to the comic store in town. She thinks everything will be fine and nobody will recognize her. But she wasn’t counting on the adorkable boy working there, or that he would recognize her despite her “costume”… So now things start changing because of that little encounter.

Maddie lives a double life that I wasn’t too thrilled about at first. In front of her parents, friends and schoolmates, she’s the popular, perfect and desired girl, and on the interior of her bedroom, she’s the nerd who loves comics and science fiction shows.

I didn’t really liked her character at first, I think you should always show yourself as you truly are, no matter what anybody else thinks, but little by little I ended up adoring her.

Maddie is a girl that page after page learns how to treasure herself and appreciate everything she likes and what she hides from embarrassment. She realizes that lying and not be true to yourself have its consequences and I truly enjoyed her journey and fell for her. On the other hand, we have Logan, a nerd boy who is handsome, intelligent and very interesting. This is a character that I simply loved from the very beginning and who incentives Maddie’s change. He’s ...

• The Summer I Became a Nerd, novel by Leah Rae Miller
      super cute and I ended up in love with him. If only he were real, right?

I loved the secondary characters in this story, because each of them has their own special moment in the development of the argument. Maddie and Logan’s parents were really pleasant to read, I really appreciated how wonderful they were to their kids. The moms become partners in crime and the fathers work hard to send quality time with their kids, so it was beautiful and really sweet.

But not everything was good. Even though the story was really fun and I truly enjoyed the author’s writing, very light and interesting, I have to admit the last chapters weren’t my favorite. The

author takes the nerd into a total new level and it kinda bored me, to be honest. That entire thing about role-play and all the rules and powers were a bit too much, I couldn’t understand the rules and even though there’s a battle scene that I really liked, the whole thing was a bit much.

Overall, this is a story that’s very cliche and predictable, but also very funny at the same time. It has characters that capture you and some sweet and cheesy moments that would make you fall in love if you’re a romantic at heart like me. If you’re looking for a young and light book without too much pretentiousness, I think you’ll really like this.

Andrew Leither says :

I thought this was good, funny and hilarious

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1714121652071231/k2311a1214/12.14.15