Fushigi Magic Gravity Ball
2.5
  • Don’t get me wrong, I like the thing, and think it’s great physical therapy for dexterity and hand-eye coordination and all that
  • Ask yourself honestly, do you think your kid will stick it out, or just be disappointed with it in five minutes or less
  • So, unless your kiddo is a nerd, a Renfair fanatic, or the next Penn and Teller, I’d recommend spending your money elsewhere, like on one of them new fangly violent “vidia games” or something

• by James Davenport

Hey, it’s getting into Christmas time/ holiday season again, and you know what that means…(Other than the annoying companies who like to shlock their crappy products WAY too early in the season using the timeless tunes of carols.) No, I mean, this time of year is the season for perennial novelty gifts. You see their commercials Christmas season after Christmas season (that dancing soda can toy, that wrist bracelet that could heal anything supposedly through ancient Chinese magnets, a salad gun.) Guess what I saw a commercial for the other day? (I’ll pretend you actually guessed because otherwise I’d have nothing else to write!)

The Fushigi Magic Gravity Ball! You don’t remember the Fushigi? 5-10 years ago I saw that thing EVERYWHERE and I just had to have one…but I never got

it. Well, now, just for nostalgic jollies (ho ho ho!) I have one finally in my possession! How does the Fushigi stack up? You know I’m going to tell you.

First off, the ads past and present aren’t exactly all that specific, but a Fushigi is a HIGHLY polished crystal ball…no, I’m serious, that’s really all it is…well not exactly crystal, it’s just glass, but that’s what it looks like. On the positive side it looks really cool. It comes “hooded” in a black bag like a falcon or one of those magical “seeing stones” from Lord of The Rings. You feel like you might just be a “fool of a Took” if you gaze at it for too long, and come to think of it, you might just be, for the packaging comes with

a ton of admonishments to not scratch your new Fushigi, play with it too much out in the light and dim it, not feeding Fushigi after midnight, etc. All kidding aside, there’s a ton of no’s. Oh and an instructional DVD with lessons on how to use it. If nothing else, it makes one really neat looking conversation piece. Yeaah.

On the down side of things, whoooa boy, are there a few of those. Don’t get me wrong, I like the thing, and think it’s great physical therapy for dexterity and hand-eye coordination and all that. But, you give this to your kid/grandson./daughter/some brat down the street you barely know nowadays, and they might not know what to do with it. They just saw the cool tricks on TV and thought “wow I’d look so ...

• Fushigi Magic Gravity Ball
      cool doing that, dangling a majestic orb in midair! Can I have one?” Most will have no concept that the Fushigi doesn’t run on batteries, nor does it come with an app or tech support. It’s just a glass ball, a contact juggling prop. What’s contact juggling? It’s a form of slight-of-hand tricks that make it look like you’re doing really cool things with this mystical sphere when in actuality, you’re just holding it/manipulating it with your fingers/hands/arms in one spot in space, but it looks like it’s suspended in air. With enough practice (a LOT of practice…they don’t say that in the DVD or ads of course) you too can look like an interdimesional wizard with this prop. Ask yourself honestly, do you think your kid will stick it out, or just be
      disappointed with it in five minutes or less? (At least there’s more to it than the Pet Rock.)

All that said, do I like my Fushigi? I personally do. Would I recommend most folks buy one? Nooope. That’s not knocking it. Just that it was a fad. At $8-12 (depending on whether you buy it used, online, Walmart, or in a department store like Macy’s seasonal section) it’s not the price that makes it not right for most people, it’s the work. I was a kid once (and if you ask my old man, still am) I hated to work at that age too. So, unless your kiddo is a nerd, a Renfair fanatic, or the next Penn and Teller, I’d recommend spending your money elsewhere, like on one of them new fangly violent “vidia games” or something!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 468121651921231/k2311a128/12.8.15