Campbell’s Home Style Chicken and Herb Dumpling Soup
  • Yeah, I know, it’s all going to the same place so who cares right, except, if you’re like me and sometimes have a hungry panhandling dog yipping over your shoulder it can be a pain to fish out a chicken bite or two with your fingers
  • It’s certainly better then your classic standard red-and-white label chicken noodle, definitely far less salty tasting

• by James Davenport

Well, it’s once more back into the old metaphorical lunch pail of mine, and this time, I’m hitting up the “home style” line of Campbell’s soups with Campbell’s Home Style Chicken and Herb Dumpling. But, is it really as down home as they claim it is? Come on reader “Homie” and let’s find out! (Heh, see what I did there? Nice huh?)

On the positive side, the Home Style can is about the same size as my now familiar Chunky lineup ones. It, like the latter ones is easy to open, ready-to serve (translation: not condensed soup) the broth isn’t wartery. It’s

thick and milky (probably the same broth recipe they use for Chunky New England Clam Chowder.) You can also see somewhat of a variety of ingredients in there just at a glance (bits of carrot, obvious peas, flecks of pepper etc) the bits of chicken are large and the dumplings are a fine consistency between spongy enough to have a soft give when you bite into it on the spoon, while not being too mushy and disintegrating in the broth before you can find them all. It reminds me enough of my Mom chicken and dumplings (that I just had over
      at her house two weeks ago) not bad, not bad at all.

That all having been said this is a mass-produced soup. Like I said, the broth tastes exactly like the one they use for the NE Clam, only clamless. Also a minor nitpick personally of mine, but the dumplings and chicken bits often feel the same size, and because the broth is so thick, it can be hard to tell until you taste it which is which. Yeah, I know, it’s all going to the same place so who cares right, except, if you’re like me and sometimes have a hungry ...

• Campbell's Home Style Chicken and Herb Dumpling Soup
      panhandling dog yipping over your shoulder it can be a pain to fish out a chicken bite or two with your fingers. (She likes the chicken not the dumplings. A spoiled dog only wanting the meat, imagine that!) Finally, while I said there are other veggie ingredients in the soup, it’s not like they’re all that big, especially when compared with “co-star stuff” in their Chunky soups. Honestly, I didn’t really taste any of this mythical “herb” the label talks about, it was somewhat bland. Add a little extra pepper, you’ll thank me.

So, is Campbell’s Home Style Chicken and Herb Dumpling

worth it? At $ 3-3.50 a can at your local supermarket (Walmart, Kroger, Randall’s etc) I’d say probably. Why not more of a firm recommendation? That’s mainly because this soup is kind of ordinary really. It’s certainly better then your classic standard red-and-white label chicken noodle, definitely far less salty tasting. Personally for me, it’s just fine. I’ll more often choose more “zesty” and “exotic” Chunky flavor soups, but sometimes in the future I’ll pick this. For that cold, rainy soup day where classic is what is required I’d say Campbell’s Homestyle Chicken and Herb Dumpling is the soup for the job.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 273121651790731/k2311a123/12.3.15