Troye Sivan - YOUTH (Song)
  • His debut album Blue Neighbourhood will be released on December 4, competing (unfortunately) with the big band Coldplay and in the shadow of Adele's triumphant return
  • Either way, I still believe Troye will certainly deliver, may it be for the charts or for the listeners, I think he'll do both
  • I love the entire chorus of the song, the random My youth
  • And the way he fast-sings at the beginning of the chorus is definitely a standout too, which reminds me a lot of the chorus of his past song Touch
  • My favorite line from the album is basically the pre-chorus

• by Laudemhir Jan Parel

Troye Sivan is really showing huge promise for an explosive end of 2015. His debut album “Blue Neighbourhood” will be released on December 4, competing (unfortunately) with the big band Coldplay and in the shadow of Adele’s triumphant return. Either way, I still believe Troye will certainly deliver, may it be for the charts or for the listeners, I think he’ll do both!

He just recently debuted a countdown single “Youth” for the album, and I have a few things to say about the song! Here they are:

Troye Sivan is really a fan of “awkward-sounds” beatdrop in most of his

songs. It first started with the “gun-filled” breakdown in “Touch”, and became prominent in the “child-like” breakdown in “BITE”. “Youth” uses the same strategy, now it’s making use of a strange noise, but I think it’s cool. That’s what he does, if it’s not cool then it’s basically not Troye.

Vocal delivery in this song is on par as usual. I think he’s not really a vocalist, unlike Ed Sheeran and Bruno Mars, but he makes good use of his cold-chill voice. Sidenote: He’s basically one of the few artists that I could sing-along without struggling. And this song is

basically an easy sing-along, but Troye’s version will probably be a lot more “cooler”.

Troye’s a good lyricist too. He’s very “adult” despite the fact he’s still a teenager. His songwriting reminds me of Lorde, mostly dark but still accessible for everyone to listen. I love the entire chorus of the song, the random “My youth!” shouts from the background adds a lot of flavor to the song. And the way he fast-sings at the beginning of the chorus is definitely a standout too, which reminds me a lot of the chorus of his past song “Touch”.

My favorite line from ...

• Troye Sivan - YOUTH (Song)
      the album is basically the pre-chorus. “When the light starts flashing like a photobooth, then the stars exploding we’ll be fireproof”. I love it because it reminds me of being existential everytime I’m with my loved ones.

The only complain I have with his songs though is that they’re mostly “minimal”. The lyrics are limited, and the songs’ structures follows the same formula which kinds of a bit repetitive. Same thing happens here.

Fortunately enough, his productions are always his life-savers. For a newcomer like him it’s almost hard to believe that he’s getting a lot of help from veteran producers

who worked with someone like Taylor Swift. The production in “Youth” is definitely top-notch, and it’s a good “happy” song that I could dance everytime I feel alive!

So in conclusion, I love this song. It’s not excellent but it’s certainly great. If Troye could make great music like this at the start of his career, how much more if he’d make it further? I think great things are in sight for him!

PS, I’m sorry to say that the studio version of the song is not available on YouTube. But it’s definitely up for purchase in iTunes or free play in Spotify.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1413111651420830/k2311a1113/11.13.15