Ant-Man, movie  » Movies  »
  • The quality of those movies is rather questionable, despite the fact that I really like this kind of movies I got very disappointed quite a lot of times, for example Captain America, both parts, was quite a disappointment and the new Fantastic four too, both Green Lanterns were difficult to watch and The Avengers
  • So when I decided to give a chance to the Ant-Man my expectations weren’t high
  • I must admit I haven’t done any research on this movie so when it started and I saw Michael Douglas I was pleasantly surprised
  • I like superhero movies, and although usually when I have to pick a movie to watch I always try to find out information about the plot and the actors in the movie, but in this case I really didn’t know anything about this movie, just that it was a superhero movie
  • I would recommend it if you want to spend pleasant hour and a half and have a few good laughs

by sonjica

The already very crowded club of super heroes with their own movies got another member; it is the Ant-Man. A man who can shrink and become small as an ant, he wears a suit that makes him look like an ant and he can also communicate with and command ants. There have been so many superhero movies in the past few years. I remember when I was younger there was Superman and there was Batman and some other minor super heroes, but today the list is endless. It seems that every super hero who had ever appeared in a comic book needs to have its own movie. The quality of those movies is rather questionable, despite the fact that I really like this kind of movies I got very disappointed quite a lot of times, for example Captain America, both parts, was quite a disappointment and the new Fantastic four too, both Green Lanterns were difficult to watch and The Avengers: The Age of Ultron was much less than I expected. So when I decided to give a chance to the Ant-Man my expectations weren’t high. Who has ever heard of the Ant-Man?!
  • Ant-Man, movie
  • This movie has everything a super hero movie should have, a simple plot, the protagonist who starts as the exact opposite of who he becomes in the end, a villain, a good looking woman and a super famous actor, in this case the famous actor is Michael Douglas who plays the man who created the Ant-Man. The fact that the actor playing the creator of the superhero, and not the superhero, is played by the actor of such a caliber, immediately caught my attention. I must admit I haven’t done any research on this movie so when it started and I saw Michael Douglas I was pleasantly surprised. I like superhero movies, and although usually when I have to pick a movie to watch I always try to find out information about the plot and the actors in the movie, but in this case I really didn’t know anything about this movie, just that it was a superhero movie. In the first scene we see Michael Douglas but there’s something off, isn’t Michael Douglas supposed to be older? Much older! Ok, I know that we are in 1989, so if Michael Douglas is in his seventies now, 26 years ago he was in his mid forties and they had to make him look younger, but they have done such a great job so that it seems that he is really in his forties. Anyway, we find out that Dr. Hank Pym, played by Douglas, resigns from the Shield because he realizes that Howard Stark (yes, Tony Stark’s father, in case you were wondering), played by John Slattery. We also get to see Hayley Atwell (Agent Carter). The cast is great from the first minutes of the movie; this fact was a good indicator of the quality of the movie.

• Ant-Man, movie
  • In the next scene we find out about Scott Lang, future Ant-Man, played by Paul Rudd. He is in prison and he is being released. He wants to change his life and lead an honest life. Of course, things get complicated, because despite his master’s in electrical engineering he can’t find a job, because nobody wants to hire ex cons. His enthusiasm about his future life where he lives happily providing for his little daughter is gone in the next scene when real life kicks in. We see Scott working in an ice cream shop, having to do with stupid customers ordering something hot and fresh. This type of funny conversations is really what makes this movie special and very different than other superhero movies. We are used to a certain level of seriousness that is usually present in this type of movies, but here Scott’s life is full of irony and doors closed in his face. His wife doesn’t let him see his daughter because he can’t pay child support and because he is a criminal while his wife’s new husband, a police officer, sends him away from his daughter’s birthday party. When his ice cream shop employer finds out about his criminal past he fires him. Scott is desperate and he goes back to his old ways, he breaks in an old rich man’s house, with a safe, allegedly, full of money, but the only thing he finds there is a suit. He tries to flee but he is caught and arrested. From here on fantastic things start happening to him. The suit he saw in the safe appears in his cell and he escapes riding a flying ant. He ends up in Dr. Pym’s who explains to him his shrinking technology and his ability to control ants. He also tells him about his enemies and asks him for help. There’s this funny part of conversation where Dr. Pym asks Scott for his help and he says: ‘If you can help me, I promise I can help you be with your daughter again. Now, are you ready to redeem yourself?’ and Scott replies: ‘Absolutely. My days of breaking into places and stealing shit are done. What do you want me to do?’ and then we hear Dr. Pym say: ‘I want you to break into a place and steal some shit.’ This was one of the funniest scenes in the movie. It seems that things will never go the way Scott wants them to go. When he was released from the prison all he wanted was a normal, ordinary life but his life will end up being everything except that. Scott will become an extraordinary man, a superhero his daughter Cassie think he is, and he will redeem himself for all his wrong doing by saving her from the villain.

• Ant-Man, movie
  • The simplicity of the plot is what makes this plot great. I have been watching The Flash and Arrow lately, so I got used to the superheroes saving the world or the city in dark caves or even in the sky, but in this movie the most important battle scene happens in Cassie’s bedroom, her toys, become weapon and danger like the Thomas the train.

• Ant-Man, movie
  • It is every child’s dream come true, her father is fighting the monsters for her. We all know that children are afraid of monsters, and that’s the reason they are often afraid to sleep in the dark. When the antagonist Yellowjacketin appears in her bedroom Cassie asks him: ‘Are you a monster?’ This scene took me back to my childhood, almost every night I would wake up and crawl in my parents’ bed because I was afraid of monsters.

• Ant-Man, movie
  • I am trying not to tell you too much about the plot so if you want to know what is the reason Dr Pym needs Scott and why is Yellowjacket in Cassie’s room I suggest you see the movie because I will not give you the answers to those questions. I want to tell you about the things I liked, and disliked about this movie. So the first thing I adored was the fact that it is a movie about a superhero, the next one is the fact that a Dad is saving his little girl from a monster in a way every little girl would like to be saved from the evil monsters that don’t let her sleep. My third favorite thing about the movie are the funny dialogs. Scott has a friend who is very bad at telling stories and explaining stuff, he gives you a bunch of unimportant information but he makes sure to refer what people said exactly the way they said it. This is so funny. I know a lot of people who speak that way, referring everything in reported speech way. So sometimes you lose track of who said what because everything is reported exactly as it was said. To avoid that in this movie the real people are mouthing the words Luis is using to tell the story.

• Ant-Man, movie
  • Scenes when Scott shrinks or becomes big again are amazing to watch. Here’s this scene when he is fighting Falcon and he keeps shrinking and enlarging and that makes it impossible for Falcon to defeat him.

• Ant-Man, movie
  • Despite the fact that the plot may sound boring and already seen in so many movies, for example, to name a random example that came to my mind first, in Commando from 1985 where Arnold Schwarzenegger saves his little girl Alyssa Milano, the movie is very interesting and innovative. The fact that Scott is small as an ant makes his battlefields so extraordinary. The carpet on his daughter’s traintable looks like a field of hay or corn while he is running through it, a server looks like a city with skyscrapers and houses, while a key hole becomes the hole to go through to enter a room.

• Ant-Man, movie
  • Ant-Man is a funny movie above all. Although the idea of a super suit that makes shrink the person who wears it, sounds more magical than science fictional, but the fairytaily atmosphere of the movie makes us ‘believe’ in the fiction presented to us as something plausible. Dr Pym seems more like a magician than like a scientist. There are parts of the movie that make it look like a children’s movie rather than an adult one, a movie about a friendship between Ant-thony and Scott.

I like this movie a lot. It is much more than an ordinary superhero movie. It is light and dark in the same time, it presents difficult times in a person’s life but with irony and fun, it has a happy ending, of course, where the main characters manages to redeem himself in the eyes of his family and he also finds love of a great woman. It is one of those movies that are easy to watch. I would recommend it if you want to spend pleasant hour and a half and have a few good laughs. You will be entertained, I assure you. But don’t leave before the end credits are over because you could miss out on 2 great scenes.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1110111651360730/k2311a1110/11.10.15