Pepperidge Farm Ginger Man Home Style Cookies
  • When I bought these cookies, I was most interested in their taste
  • I like ginger snap cookies on occasion, and while I wouldn't say I'm as wild about ginger cookies as some others might be, I do enjoy having them once or twice a month, so I was interested in giving these a try, especially with the holidays fast approaching
  • I imagine that those that are looking for a cookie that's rich in ginger taste will be somewhat disappointed with these cookies
  • As I mentioned, while I enjoy ginger snap cookies from time to time, it's not my favorite kind of cookie, but even I felt these cookies were lacking in significant ginger flavor
  • That's actually my only issue with these cookies, but sadly, it's a big enough issue to dissuade me from purchasing them again or recommending them to others

• by CirclingCanvas

Little gingerbread man cookies are almost as closely associated with Christmas as the candy cane is, or perhaps equally so, so it’s no wonder that this type of Christmas cookie commonly appears in holiday movies and in kitchens across the world come the Christmas season. Not everyone though enjoys or is able to bake, or has the time to, and companies like Pepperidge Farm know this, so gingerbread man cookies become a fairly common sight in grocery stores come early November. Pepperidge Farm is known for a variety of products, from the popular Goldfish snack crackers to the company’s take on the thick and crispy Texas Toast, but also to, a wide variety of cookies. One such type of cookie that the company markets is the Pepperidge Farm Ginger Man Home Style Cookies.

For two dollars and fifty cents, you get a five ounce bag of

relatively miniature gingerbread men. These aren’t the supersized types of cookies that you will sometimes find sold in single packs or the large gingerbread men cookies that some recipes make. These cookies are more along the lines of a few bites, and they’re gone, so it’s a small cookie. I see that as being neither a good thing or bad thing about it. When I bought these cookies, I was most interested in their taste. I like ginger snap cookies on occasion, and while I wouldn’t say I’m as wild about ginger cookies as some others might be, I do enjoy having them once or twice a month, so I was interested in giving these a try, especially with the holidays fast approaching.

After having just a few, I was already leaning towards these cookies being underwhelming. I imagine that those that are looking for a cookie that’s rich in ginger taste will be somewhat disappointed with these cookies. As I mentioned, while I enjoy ginger snap cookies from time to time, it’s not my favorite kind of cookie, but even I felt these cookies were lacking in significant ginger flavor. While the flavor of the cookies was unmistakably ginger, it wasn’t a really robust or exceptional one, thus forcing these cookies into what I consider “so so” territory. That means while they aren’t terrible, they also aren’t great. They’re edible, but largely forgettable. The cookies have a light sweetness to them as well, with a hint of cinnamon present, and that’s what I personally expect from a gingerbread man cookie, as I don’t expect them to be super sweet, but I do expect more ginger flavor than what these offered.

That’s actually my only issue with these cookies, but ...

• Pepperidge Farm Ginger Man Home Style Cookies
      sadly, it’s a big enough issue to dissuade me from purchasing them again or recommending them to others. As mentioned, I feel that Pepperidge Farm hit the nail on the head when it came to adding the right amount of sweetness to these cookies and despite being packaged cookies that sit on the shelf, they were reasonably fresh-tasting. Packaged cookies don’t always taste as fresh as the ones made fresh in a bakery or at home, but from the time I started the bag to now, where it’s almost empty, after having them for a few weeks, the cookies have maintained their freshness. They also didn’t get any harder, which cookies sometimes do if they start to get a little stale, and maintained that pleasant crunch that gingerbread men cookies are known to have.

It’s unfortunate that the Pepperidge Farm Ginger Man Home Style Cookies didn’t

have a more prominent ginger flavor to them, because had they, I would have certainly been satisfied with them enough to purchase them again. They’re cutely-shaped cookies and have a nice decorative sugar sprinkle across them, so it’s hard to not smile at least a little bit when picking one out of the bag or off a plate, but it’s hard to maintain that smile once biting into one and ultimately tasting only a slight amount of ginger. I feel as if the combination of sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon makes this cookie a bit more sugary in taste than ginger-flavored, and I would have preferred it to be the other way around. Others may be perfectly pleased with the amount of ginger in these cookies and that’s absolutely okay because people have different tastes and expectations, but for me personally, these gingerbread man cookies failed to stand out.

Jared says :

re : When I bought these cookies, I was most interested in their taste
This is an excellent version of a ginger cookie. It’s sweet but it still has bite A good, hot cup of tea and a few of these make for a nice compliment to a good book or a late night show. Definitely a cupboard keeper for guests.

CirclingCanvas replies :

I have no doubt that plenty of folks out there feel similarly to you about these cookies, and that’s great - I’m happy that you enjoyed them. Next time Christmas swings around though, I’m going to look and see what other options exist to see if I can find something that is a closer match to what I’m looking for in taste.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 279111651340530/k2311a119/11.9.15