Fear the Walking Dead (Horror Drama Television Series)  » TV  »
  • AMC's The Walking Dead has been one of my favourite television drama series for a few years now
  • However, while I do find the entire experience of Rick Grimes and his companions braving a zombie apocalypse riveting, that doesn't mean the question of what happened before isn't continuously hammering at the back of my mind
  • As a result I found the media's reaction and people's reaction to what they were seeing as fairly realistic
  • While I'm truly happy to see all of this happening from other peoples' point of view, especially the ones living in the cities at the time, I'm still slightly disappointed in the storyline itself
  • I think that it would have definitely brought the suspense and excitement to a different level

by Redtape

AMC’s The Walking Dead has been one of my favourite television drama series for a few years now. However, while I do find the entire experience of Rick Grimes and his companions braving a zombie apocalypse riveting, that doesn’t mean the question of what happened before isn’t continuously hammering at the back of my mind. Thankfully, with “Fear the Walking Dead” I’m able to see the dawn of the zombie apocalypse from another point of view and hopefully maybe even figure out what happened later on.
  • Fear the Walking Dead (Horror Drama Television Series)
  • Based on the comic book series by the same name, “Fear the Walking Dead” is supposed to be a prequel to the hit series, “The Walking Dead”. In it the viewer gets to experience the dawn of the zombie apocalypse from the point of view of another family living in the United States.

It focuses on the life of Travis Manawa a Teacher of English at a high school in California, his significant other Madison Clark, a high school guidance councillor, his son and her children.

When the series begins we get to see what each of their lives was like before the world changed, and then shortly after how they react to this change and how it affects them as a family.

• Fear the Walking Dead (Horror Drama Television Series)
  • One of the things that I am grateful for with this series is that unlike in The Walking Dead I actually get to see what people and the media thought of the phenomenon when it all begun to happen. In The Walking Dead that experience is lost because Rick wakes up in the hospital and there’s an entire piece missing and we the audience have to discover this new world with him.

In Fear the Walking Dead however, everyone including the media seems to think of the entire affair as some sort of strange illness at first. There are the viral videos of the first set of zombies getting being killed by the police, which everyone assumes are instances of police brutality.

Then there are riots that seem to resemble actual riots in the United States such as the 2014 unrest in Ferguson Missouri. As a result I found the media’s reaction and people’s reaction to what they were seeing as fairly realistic.

• Fear the Walking Dead (Horror Drama Television Series)
  • While I’m truly happy to see all of this happening from other peoples’ point of view, especially the ones living in the cities at the time, I’m still slightly disappointed in the storyline itself. This is because I started watching Fear the Walking Dead with the idea that I might just get a chance to see exactly how this zombie apocalypse originated, where it originated, whether it only affected the United States and if not if there were other survivors in other countries.

However, absolutely none of those questions gets answered and I have to settle with the fact that even though it’s a prequel, it’s still obscure enough to only be someone else’s take of the situation.

• Fear the Walking Dead (Horror Drama Television Series)
  • One character who I was definitely interested in at the beginning of the series was Nick Clark, one of Madison’s children. When I first started watching the series The Walking Dead I found myself wondering sometimes how the homeless and people such as drug addicts would have fared during such a situation, and I get to see a glimpse of it through Nick who starts out as a heroin addict.

He finds out about the zombie apocalypse only after his girlfriend is turned into one and he sees her eating someone else. At first Madison and Travis explain away his situation as being a hallucination but after seeing his dealer killed and come back to life then they start believing him just a little bit more.

• Fear the Walking Dead (Horror Drama Television Series)
  • An additional frustration about watching Fear the Walking Dead is that I think everything happens so fast. I know that if the plot doesn’t unfold at a particular speed then everything falls at the risk of being tedious, but the reason why I started watching in the first place is because I wanted to watch the entire situation happen bit by bit. I think that it would have definitely brought the suspense and excitement to a different level.

Instead, I feel as if I’m only watching a spinoff of The Walking Dead and not a prequel.

If you’re crazy for zombie movies or are looking for a Walking Dead spinoff, Fear the Walking dead might be less exciting and on a lower budget but it works. On the other hand, if you’re looking for a prequel to The Walking Dead that answers a lot of questions you might have had watching the series; then you probably shouldn’t bother watching Fear the Walking Dead.

Maddy says :

re : As a result I found the media’s reaction and people’s reaction to what they were seeing as fairly realistic
I think the media reaction was realistic, but only of they had never seen zombie movies or shows. I think people now would probably be more pro-active? i would hope so. But overall i think it was ultimately extremely realistic, it scared me so much because i could see it happening in the world today.

Maddy says :

re : While I’m truly happy to see all of this happening from other peoples’ point of view, especially the ones living in the cities at the time, I’m still slightly disappointed in the storyline itself
I love the storyline, i think the family drama makes it more realistic and it adds a personal touch to the series rather than them just running away from zombies all the time. I actually care about the characters and what happens the them rather than just hearing and seeing zombies bumble across my screen 24/7. the story line about the family and the government and the city makes it a million times more interesting.

Jazz Faisal says :

re : AMC’s The Walking Dead has been one of my favourite television drama series for a few years now
Me too, but I don’t like show. Its not even closer to the Walking Dead. Characters are really boring.

Louie Mendiola says :

I agree this is one of my favorite shows I like the drama and action at the same time. Finding your family in zombie world that will keep you watching

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1029101650910231/k2311a1029/10.29.15