Queens of the Stone Age (rock band)  » Music  »
  • Their wildly distinctive sound quickly made them one of my favourite bands at the time, and they helped to influence me musically
  • I think the whole experimentative aspect of them can be heard in their album Songs for the Deaf which sometimes sounds as if it's literally several different bands playing on one album
  • Whatever genre of rock they identify with though I love the way their heavy sound and riffs combine
  • It wasn't far off from the Queens of the Stone Age that I had come to know, and I found myself liking the song I Sat by The Ocean the most
  • I find their music extraordinary and it never gets boring

by Redtape

By 2002, it seemed as if the sound of a lot of the mainstream rock music that I was used to listening to had begun to change. A lot of bands I would hear playing on the radio no longer had that distinctive post-grunge sound and more people were beginning to notice people like Michelle Branch, Avril Lavigne and Good Charlotte. However, there were also bands such as Queens of the Stone Age that had begun to gain some popularity among people like myself.

Their wildly distinctive sound quickly made them one of my favourite bands at the time, and they helped to influence me musically.

• Queens of the Stone Age (rock band)
  • Queens of the Stone Age was the brainchild of musician Josh Homme in 1996 after the band he was previously in, Kyuss broke up. At first the band’s name was Gamma Ray but the were soon forced to change the name since there was a power metal band with the same name in Germany who was threatening to sue them.

Thus there’s the million dollar question that I had found myself asking for years. How did Queens of the Stone Age come up with that unusual name? Recently I read something online that said they chose the name after a comment that their producer would make from time to time. He referred to them as “Queens of the Stone Age” and according to Nick Oliveri who was a member at the time of the interview, the name just stuck.

• Queens of the Stone Age (rock band)
  • Throughout the years even though it had its official members, the band’s lineup has featured musicians from other existing bands. I can remember at the time when I was first introduced to them, I had seen their video for “No One Knows” and Dave Grohl from the popular rock band Foo Fighters was on the drums. Later on I’d come to realise that he had contributed to the making of their album “Songs for the Deaf”.

Similarly Queens of the Stone Age has featured musicians such as Natasha Shneider, a keyboardist who died in 2008 and Gene Trautmann a drummer who worked on Rated R.

• Queens of the Stone Age (rock band)
  • It’s hard to describe the Queens of the Stone Age musical style, which is obviously not just plain rock music. While I’ve heard it being described as Alternative Rock in some sources and Stoner Rock in others. On a very rare and strange occasion I’ve even heard one of my friends describe it as metal. However, I still don’t think that any of those descriptions are near accurate. As a matter of fact, while their music has a distinct heavy and yet energetic sound; I still think that it’s somewhat experimentative.

I think the whole experimentative aspect of them can be heard in their album “Songs for the Deaf” which sometimes sounds as if it’s literally several different bands playing on one album. Whatever genre of rock they identify with though I love the way their heavy sound and riffs combine.

• Queens of the Stone Age (rock band)
  • In recent times I hadn’t been listening to them as much. I’d listen to one or two of their older albums such as “Lullabies to Paralyze” and “Songs for the Deaf” but I guess I was afraid of hearing what they’d sound like now. They released an album in 2013 called “…Like Clockwork” and believe now that a part of me was afraid that the band that I knew and loved would have changed like so many other bands I’d grown to love.

However, I actually had the guts to listen to “…Like Clockwork” in 2015 and I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn’t far off from the Queens of the Stone Age that I had come to know, and I found myself liking the song “I Sat by The Ocean” the most.

• Queens of the Stone Age (rock band)
  • The most disappointing thing about this band so far has been the vocalist and founder Josh Homme, and honestly I really hope I’m wrong about him. I’ve always thought he was interesting and especially after seeing an interview with him years ago. However, when I was doing research about him recently, I came upon a bit of information about some controversy that he’s been in.

There was the issue of him getting into a fight with someone at a club, and another instance in which he begun hurling insults at a member of his audience. Now I’m not going to be a prude. I know from experience that people can be tough and positively despicable; and that being in a business like that requires someone to be extremely tough. However, there are also diplomatic ways to earn respect without appearing like trash. At the end of the day he’s the rock star and no one will remember what the other person did.

One of the reasons why I still love Josh so much though is because he went through a lot of challenges with his music a couple years though, and still managed to bounce back after going through severe depression. I think that’s quite inspirational.

I recommend the music of Queens of the Stone Age to people who like hard rock. I find their music extraordinary and it never gets boring.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1423101650630431/k2311a1023/10.23.15