Play (Stage Dive #2) novel by Kylie Scott  » Books  »
  • In my review of Lick (Stage Dive #1), I told you a little bit about Mal, who is the drummer of the band and my favorite character from the whole book, the one that stole my heart like not even the hero in that book did
  • But in the good way, he's wild, sweet, caring, funny
  • Obviously, he's a rocker, so he flirts and sleeps with everything that wears a skirt, but the thing that I love the most about him is that he can diffuse any argument with his amazing humor, which comes in handy when you're part of a band with a bunch of guys, there will be fighting
  • Mal is amazing, and because of his funny nature, the things that come out of his mouth are just too funny
  • I laughed a lot and I totally recommend it

• by Andy Diaz

In my review of Lick (Stage Dive #1), I told you a little bit about Mal, who is the drummer of the band and my favorite character from the whole book, the one that stole my heart like not even the hero in that book did. So that’s why I was soooo happy to read Play, because Mal is in the house, baby!

The story starts with Anne, who gets home from work to find her house with no furniture and no roommate, she just upped and leaved even though she owed money to her. Anne finds herself with big money problems and goes out one night to a friend’s party to clear her head, and meets Mal, the hot drummer of Stage Dive. Mal thinks Anne is perfect for him, and since he needs a little help clearing out his image (for a mysterious reason), comes up with a plan that each of them would benefit from it. The deal was to be a fake couple. This brings a lot of wild adventures with Mal, as well as a little thing called love that neither of them were expecting.

The story starts with Anne, who

In Lick, we meet Mal and realize he’s completely crazy! But in the good way, he’s wild, sweet, caring, funny… and crazy. So that’s why I wasn’t so surprised about his personality in Play, but it doesn’t mean that I didn’t love it, because I absolutely did. He’s the same as always and he just wins you heart, even if you don’t want him to. Obviously, he’s a rocker, so he flirts and sleeps with everything that wears a skirt, but the thing that I love the most about him is that he can diffuse any argument with his amazing humor, which comes in handy when you’re part of a band with a bunch of guys, there will be fighting! But behind all his humor, smiles and living-the-day-no-matter-the-consequences, there’s a sensibility that just a very small group of people get to know. SO when he meets the girl who sees beyond his show, he feels a little bit vulnerable, and curious, of course.

Anne it’s a humble girl who has spent her whole life giving and giving to the people around her, without receiving a thing. She rarely says “no” and no matter how many times you screw her over, she’s going to be there for you. It’s a very annoying quality and as Mal says, Anne gets stumped by her friends all the time, and because they know her nature, they take advantage of that. Obviously, she’s the sweetest and most kindhearted girl there is. Anne achieves to comprehend and understand Mal’s personality and how he uses it as a shield.

Play made me laugh SO much! It was impossible ...

• Play (Stage Dive #2) novel by Kylie Scott
      for me to keep in the laughter, thought the entirety of this book I was laughing, maybe in a couple scenes I was a bit serious but just a few. Really, the things that came out of Mal’s mouth were insane!

There were a couple of things that bothered me, of course. One of them was how fast Mal disappeared when he was feeling stresses out, he didn’t tell anybody where he was and then he came back to Anne without any explanation, and she forgave him just like that, even though she felt really hurt about it. I mean, at first the relationship wasn’t real, but he sure as hell acted like it was, and then disappeared. It was annoying. Maybe things were a bit rushed as well, Mal moved in with Anne the next day they met. But of course, if Jared Leto showed up at my house, I would give him my bed kindly!

This was also really hot. Mal is amazing, and because of his funny nature, the things that come out of his mouth are just too funny. The love scenes between them were out of this world, and really refreshing. I

mean, there can be repetitiveness in romance books, but I feel like the author brought something else to them in this book, and a lot of that I feel like it has to do with the comedy she brings in with Mal. I really enjoyed it and these characters.

In comparison to Lick, in Play we read a little bit more about the other members of the band: Jimmy and Ben. The next book in the series is about Jimmy and it explains his story and grumpiness a little bit more. Ben’s still a bit of a mystery. And I think I enjoyed Play way more than Lick, this book has such a great balance when it comes to its characters, I don’t think I’ve ever encountered such perfect characters, Mal was perfect for Anne with his wild and crazy exterior, and Anne was perfect for Mal with her calmness and kind nature, so they complement really good. It was amazing to read.

Anyway, Play was incredible to me, maybe a bit rushed, but great nonetheless. It’s very light and fun to read, even though it also takes hard subjects. I laughed a lot and I totally recommend it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1720101650510431/k2311a1020/10.20.15