Pippa Middleton’s “Celebrate: A Year of British Festivities for Families and Friends” book  » Books  »
4.3
  • And I won't deny, this did play a part in why I decided to spend $40CDN on what had been described to me as a cookbook by Kate Middleton's sister
  • The beautiful pictures on the cover of the book are just a taste of the amazing and inspirational photography inside
  • But the organization makes that easy - I don't need to reference the index or table of contents, if I open to a certain page, I know whether I've gone too far
  • Having a turkey may seem obvious, but what about making one
  • While I paid $40CDN when this book first came out, I believe it has come down in price in stores and it is certainly available for less online

by Marley Justine

To this day, Pippa Middleton is probably still best known for being the younger sister of Kate Middleton (Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge). Pippa is also the author of “Celebrate: A Year of British Festivities for Families and Friends”.

Now, even Pippa admits in her introduction that due to who she is (or rather, who her sister is) many people will pick up this book purely out of curiosity. And I won’t deny, this did play a part in why I decided to spend $40CDN on what had been described to me as “a cookbook by Kate Middleton’s sister”.

But as soon as I purchased ‘Celebrate’, I realized it is much more than just a cookbook. It really is a guide, a source of inspiration that I reach for frequently throughout the year.

• Pippa Middleton's
  • Perhaps it is because I reach for it often or perhaps it is because the hard cover book is eye catching, but I still keep ‘Celebrate’ on display in my kitchen.

The beautiful pictures on the cover of the book are just a taste of the amazing and inspirational photography inside.

• Pippa Middleton's
  • The book is well-organized. When I first got it, I spent an afternoon reading it cover to cover and it just flowed perfectly. Now of course, I usually just reference a section at a time. But the organization makes that easy - I don’t need to reference the index or table of contents, if I open to a certain page, I know whether I’ve gone too far.

• Pippa Middleton's
  • This book was harshly criticized for being basic and pointing out the obvious. For example, Pippa suggests turkey if you are preparing a meal for a large gathering over the holidays. Yes, critics are right - this is obvious. But I can’t help but wonder if the criticism would have been the same if someone else wrote the book. I get the vibe that some people felt Pippa was ‘talking down’ to her readers. While I admit that some of the information is basic or obvious, I don’t feel like I’m being talked down to.

Having a turkey may seem obvious, but what about making one? Critics failed to acknowledge that Pippa didn’t just tell people they should make turkey, she did provide a recipe.

• Pippa Middleton's
  • This is definitely a British book. And for me, that means not all of the recipes are especially appealing. But honestly, I find most of the book is ‘usable’.

Remember, you don’t have to follow recipes word for word. Use them for inspiration, change them to suit your needs or personal tastes.

• Pippa Middleton's
  • One of my favorite recipes from the book is the Spicy Red Chicken Curry.

The first time I made this recipe, I followed Pippa’s recipe precisely. Ultimately,I decided that I preferred a bit more spice and since then have been experimenting with this recipe.

• Pippa Middleton's
  • With the author being the sister of the future Queen Consort, a lot of people seem to expect really stuffy recipes. But that is not the case.

Also, do not go through this book on an empty stomach. The photography is fantastic and it is just page after page of delicious looking food.

• Pippa Middleton's
  • As I said earlier, this is more than just a cookbook. In addition to recipes for both food and drinks, Pippa also includes a lot of crafts, games, traditions, decorating and hosting suggestions.

• Pippa Middleton's
  • Planning for the holidays can be stressful, which is why I think that the ‘Christmas Planner’ is a sweet touch.

• Pippa Middleton's
  • I will say, Pippa’s idea of ‘A Lazy Brunch’ is much different than my own. But that doesn’t mean I can’t use these ideas for my not-so-lazy day brunches.

• Pippa Middleton's
  • Sometimes, you don’t even need to read the text. You can just take inspiration away from the beautiful, detailed images.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people were disappointed with this book because rather than it being an insight to how Pippa parties or how the Middleton family celebrates, it is more of a ‘How To’ guide. There are personal stories inserted here and there, but if you are looking for a book about Pippa’s family (especially her sister), keep looking.

I absolutely love Pippa Middleton’s “Celebrate: A Year of British Festivities for Families and Friends”, I have no regrets purchasing it and I highly recommend it to others. It doesn’t matter if you’re a single twenty-something-year-old or if you are married with grown children and young grandchildren. This book is useful.

While I paid $40CDN when this book first came out, I believe it has come down in price in stores and it is certainly available for less online.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1716101650390331/k2311a1016/10.16.15