The Body Shop’s Olive Body Scrub  » Cosmetics  »
  • At the time, I thought it must have been a new product but apparently it's been around for a while
  • I was so surprised that my curiosity got the best of me and without smelling this body scrub, which is completely out of character for me, I purchased it
  • It was a true impulse buy, complete with regret
  • The first thing I noticed was, of course, the scent
  • And although I highly recommend you smell this prior to purchasing, remember, in my experience, it does start to grow on you

• by Marley Justine

How is it that I only recently discovered the Olive Body Scrub from The Body Shop? At the time, I thought it must have been a new product but apparently it’s been around for a while. Does this mean I have been walking past in the stores and skimming past it on the website? I was so surprised that my curiosity got the best of me and without smelling this body scrub, which is completely out of character for me, I purchased it. It was a true impulse buy, complete with regret.

According to the product description, this creamy body scrub is supposed to “reveal brighter, smoother skin with exfoliating crushed walnut shells and crushed olive stones” and is best for normal to dry skin. Furthermore, it was described to me as having an “earthy scent” and being “popular among both men and women.” Despite all this information, I really wasn’t

sure what to expect.

The first thing I noticed was, of course, the scent. Like most scents from The Body Shop, it’s strong. Unfortunately, for perhaps the first time ever, I wasn’t happy about this.

I find the smell difficult to explain. I know it was described to me as being “earthy”, but that wasn’t the first thing I thought of when I smelled this. I’ve used “earthy scents” before and have never found them unpleasant. But that’s what this was, it was an unpleasant, strong smell.

Normally, when I use a product from The Body Shop, I complain that the scent doesn’t linger on my skin or in the bathroom nearly long enough but with this, I was in a hurry for the smell to fade. Despite the damp and dreary weather on this particular afternoon, I actually opened the bathroom window in hopes of speeding up the process.

Two days later, while trying to explain the scent to a friend, I gave it another smell and to my surprise, it was less intense. I still wasn’t a fan, but I wasn’t as put off as I had been. I smelled it again the next day and again, found it was less intense and easier to tolerate. So, the following day, I tried using it again and sure enough, by this point, I had gotten use to the scent and while I still didn’t love it, I was able to use it. Of course, I was happy to use a different scented shower gel and body butter or lotion afterwards.

While the smell took some time to get use to, the consistency did not. Unlike the last two scrubs I had used from The Body Shop, this was a creamy texture, not a gelee and it was so much better. It ...

• The Body Shop's Olive Body Scrub
      is easier to manipulate (I found the gelee scrubs to be slippery and half of the time I’d end up dropping product down the drain) and easier to exfoliate with.

Although this does exfoliate well, it is still quite gentle. Since I like a rougher scrub, I found myself really scrubbing hard with this… harder than I should have, I’m sure. Thankfully, this did not result in skin irritation.

I know this promises to be moisturizing with ingredients like organic olive oil, sunflower oil and carrot oil, and maybe it’s because I wasn’t dealing with dry skin while using this, but I didn’t find it to be especially moisturizing. Of course, it wasn’t drying either. For me, this really only served one purpose and that was exfoliating.

Like most products from The Body Shop, I find this body scrub rinses easily and does not leave behind any residue or film on my

skin after using. And although I didn’t notice a residue in the shower, I always like to rinse the tub or shower thoroughly after using a body scrub.

A 200ml tub of this scrub costs $20CDN. For the first time in my life, I found myself thinking that I had overpaid. But now, I think this was because I didn’t really enjoy the scent. I am not opposed to trying trying The Body Shop’s body scrubs in other scents such as coconut, cocoa butter, shea butter, pink grapefruit or honeymania, at the same price.

While I no longer find this to be a revolting and overpowering scent, I do not plan on repurchasing this or any other olive scented products from The Body Scrub. It’s just not the scent for me. And although I highly recommend you smell this prior to purchasing, remember, in my experience, it does start to grow on you.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3115101650310431/k2311a1015/10.15.15