Tomorrowland (science fiction adventure film)  » Movies  »
2.0
  • I think I just went with the flow from there
  • In addition to many aspects of the storyline, there were some scenes that I thought cemented the movie's immaturity
  • I think the concept has a lot of potential to develop an interesting and witty children's story or science fiction film around it
  • I believe that with enough research and planning then they could have built a really good movie around the concept

by Redtape

Tomorrowland was one of those movies that I was silly enough to be fooled into thinking was actually going to be good. After watching the trailer I thought, “This looks good. I wonder why I’m not hearing much about this movie”. After sitting through over two hours of it hoping it would get better, I finally realised why. Now I find myself wondering how or why talented actors such as George Clooney would actually sign up to have their name attached to something like this.
  • Tomorrowland (science fiction adventure film)
  • The movie Tomorrowland begins with the adult Frank Walker, who is played by George Clooney telling his story on camera about his first encounter with Tomorrowland as a little boy. However, the narrator then changes to Casey Newton who is dissatisfied with the way Frank is telling the story.

Casey then begins to recount how she was recruited by an Audio-Animatronic robot in the form of a little girl named Athena, to help save Tomorrowland. Her adventure takes her to meet the disillusioned adult Frank Walker and together they try to stop the world from ending in the future.

• Tomorrowland (science fiction adventure film)
  • While I did sit an watch the movie in it’s entirety of two hours and ten minutes, there was a point of time in the very beginning when I realised the movie would be a complete failure. It was right around the time that Frank had begun telling his story and then I began to notice little things that didn’t make sense.

For example, in Frank’s story, he travels to 1964 the New York World’s Fair in order to display the jet pack that he invented. However at the moment all of this is taking place, I couldn’t help but ask myself several questions. 1964 or not, who in the world would allow their child to take the bus by himself to a World Fair? Who would allow a child to work on and test drive something as dangerous as a jet pack? Where did the child find the money and resources to construct such a device? The list went on and on.

The more Frank’s story progressed was the more everything began to sound like a poorly contrived fib. I think I just went with the flow from there.

• Tomorrowland (science fiction adventure film)
  • In addition to many aspects of the storyline, there were some scenes that I thought cemented the movie’s immaturity. The thing was even though it was obviously targeted toward children, I still think that some of the scenes were way too dumbed down, didn’t contribute much to the movie and just didn’t make much sense.

One of them in particular was where Casey visits the store whose owners, Hugo and Ursula were looking for the pin. The entire affair was obviously hugely suspicious with the way that they kept asking for the pin and demanding to know who gave it to her. However, I’m going to assume that the makers of this movie wouldn’t think children are perceptive enough to pick up certain things.

• Tomorrowland (science fiction adventure film)
  • Even though I thought that the movie was both annoying and a waste of money on Disney’s part, there were one or two things that I did like about it. I loved the concept of the place Tomorrowland, and the whole idea that it’s supposed to be this Utopia built by geniuses and dreamers. I think the concept has a lot of potential to develop an interesting and witty children’s story or science fiction film around it.

Nevertheless, I think that somewhere along the way it became just a good concept when perhaps the director’s and writers’ visions began to sound good only on paper. I believe that with enough research and planning then they could have built a really good movie around the concept.

• Tomorrowland (science fiction adventure film)
  • One of the beefs that I have against this movie too was the way that the characters were portrayed, and no, I don’t mean the actors’ portrayals. The thing with Tomorrowland is that the movie has some pretty talented actors in it. However, that’s almost easy to forget especially when I realise that they weren’t written very well.

Let’s look at the character Casey Newton for example. She’s supposed to be a teenage genius or gifted child or whatever you want to call it. However, a part from a little technical knowledge on her part, there really is no evidence from the decisions she makes and the things she says to prove that she really is one. Separate and a part from that, she’s not believable or a very remarkable protagonist.

Here’s my two cents. Tomorrowland is terrible. It is a waste of money that tries to pass itself off as a science fiction movie for children. If you love it that’s great, but the film would do better as a made for television movie on Disney. I recommend it to absolutely no one.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1128091649350530/k2311a0928/9.28.15