Insidious: Chapter 3 (supernatural horror movie)  » Movies  »
  • As usual, someone I knew recommended it to me anyway and I decided to try it
  • On one hand like the other Insidious movies I thought that some parts were scary and others were a little too weird to take very seriously
  • When she awakens from a near death experience after being put in the hospital for what seems like a hit and run, the supernatural experiences only intensify
  • She's soon forced to acknowledge that whatever is haunting her is definitely not her mother, but a malicious presence
  • I remember one particular scene where Quinn is knocking on the wall and it seems as if the guy who lives next door knocks back in response, and immediately I know that it wasn't actually him

by Redtape

Insidious: Chapter 3 wasn’t on my list of horror movies to watch because I didn’t get the impression that it would be very good especially after watching the trailer. As usual, someone I knew recommended it to me anyway and I decided to try it. It turns out that I had mixed feelings about the movie. On one hand like the other Insidious movies I thought that some parts were scary and others were a little too weird to take very seriously. On the other hand there were some parts that I thought were so bad that I couldn’t possibly take it seriously enough to think of it as horror.
  • Insidious: Chapter 3 (supernatural horror movie)
  • Insidious: Chapter 3 is takes place in the years before the events of the first Insidious movie. The movie begins with the powerful psychic Elise Rainier reluctantly agreeing to help a teenage girl Quinn Brenner, contact her mother. Elise explains her hesitance as fear of a particular dark entity that tries to attack or kill her each time that she uses her powers. However, when she tries to do Quinn the favour she has to stop abruptly because she is threatened by a demonic presence. As soon as the session ceases Elise warns Quinn never to try to contact her mother.

After Quinn returns home she begins to have more supernatural experiences, and she explains them away as her mother trying to contact her from the grave. When she awakens from a near death experience after being put in the hospital for what seems like a hit and run, the supernatural experiences only intensify. She’s soon forced to acknowledge that whatever is haunting her is definitely not her mother, but a malicious presence.

• Insidious: Chapter 3 (supernatural horror movie)
  • As I mentioned in my introduction, there were indeed a few scenes that I found frightening. One of them in particular was a little after Quinn arrives home and her father isn’t nearby. It looks as if she’s trying to sleep and then the supernatural entity that is haunting her starts walking about the room and closes the door and the windows as if it’s trying to make sure there’s no escape.

There were two reasons why I found that scene incredibly terrifying. The first was because I found myself putting myself in the shoes of the main character, where she’s paralysed and unable to run from whatever that thing is. The second is because at one point everything is being filmed from this genius angle beneath the bed, where you’re seeing everything from Quinn’s point of view lying on the floor, which is the thing’s ugly necrotic feet walking slowly about the room.

• Insidious: Chapter 3 (supernatural horror movie)
  • At the same time there were scenes in Insidious: Chapter 3 that maybe seemed pretty awesome when the director was thinking about it, but I didn’t think translated as well to screen. There were also scenes that I thought were just too ridiculous for me to take very seriously.

For example, there was the part where Elise is walking through “The Further” in order to confront the supernatural being or demon that has taken Quinn hostage, and hopefully bring her back. However just as she fears, the evil entity that is trying to kill her manifests itself once again and attacks. Instead of running this time she manages to throw her off with incredible power that only the living have. I thought that that while it was amusing it was way too ridiculous for a movie with a supposedly serious plot.

• Insidious: Chapter 3 (supernatural horror movie)
  • Something that I just couldn’t stand about Insidious: Chapter 3 though is that too many of the scenes were too dark. Now I completely understand the appeal to film a horror movie much more a supernatural horror in a dark environment. It contributes to the mood as well as might make everything scarier. What I don’t like though is when I have to strain my eyes to see some of the characters on screen, so I think that it defeats the purpose.

For example, even though it was dark for the most part I could see Elise moving through “The Further”. However, there were still some scenes that were a little hard to make out.

• Insidious: Chapter 3 (supernatural horror movie)
  • One of the things that helped ruin Insidious: Chapter 3 for me was the plot. As terrifying as one or two scenes were, I couldn’t help thinking throughout the movie that all of this is just too cliche. That is even more of a disappointment because everyone I know including myself who liked the first movie, admired it because it was a different type of supernatural horror (weird or not).

The plot of Insidious: Chapter 3 seems like the textbook haunting, which of course helped make everything very predictable. I remember one particular scene where Quinn is knocking on the wall and it seems as if the guy who lives next door knocks back in response, and immediately I know that it wasn’t actually him. Why? That kind of thing has happened in nearly every supernatural horror movie since the 80s.

If you’re a fan of the Insidious franchise or just horror movies on a whole let me tell you that this isn’t a very good movie. It has one or two scary scenes but it’s predictable and cliche. On the other hand, it’s nowhere near as bad as some of the rubbish I’ve watched in my lifetime, so I’ll give it a six for effort.

Ethan says :

re : When she awakens from a near death experience after being put in the hospital for what seems like a hit and run, the supernatural experiences only intensify
When she awakens from a near death experience after being put in the hospital for what seems like a hit and run, the supernatural experiences only intensify It was such a plot twist. I was not expecting it. It had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. The jump scares freaked me out. Some of it was too weird to be taken seriously though. This is one of my favorite movies. I would highly recommend this to anyone.

Andrew Leith says :

From the point where she wakens from a near death experience, that’s when it really got exciting, and the supernatural only intrigued me more and I think it was great. I agree, great twists in the plot and supernatural experiences exploded. The movie director, Leigh Whannell, did something fantastic with the movie and excellent plot in detail. It’s a must watch movie

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1128091649340530/k2311a0928/9.28.15