Orgy (electronic rock band)  » Music  »
  • When I first saw them I noticed that their physical style was different from a lot of the other rock bands I had ever seen
  • I'm not sure why, but at the time when I first became familiar with them, I used to think that Orgy was a British electronic rock band, but it was only fairly recently that I learned the truth about their real origins
  • Like some of my favourite bands of that era, Orgy was formed in the mid nineties
  • I first fell in love with Orgy because they were different from other bands that I was listening to at the time, and like the rest of my peers I thought for some reason that the vocalist Jay Gordon was hot
  • Unfortunately though, Wide Awake and Dead did not seem to draw as much attention as some of their previous songs did

• by Redtape

My first real introduction to the electronic rock band Orgy was when I was around fourteen years old. While that was a couple years after their first studio album Candyass was released in 1998, they were still fairly popular amongst a lot of teens especially since their vocalist “Jay Gordon” had contributed his vocals to the “Queen of the Damned Soundtrack”. When I first saw them I noticed that their physical style was different from a lot of the other rock bands I had ever seen. It looked futuristic, but at the same time there was a hit of punk rock, which I later came to understand also reflected their music style.

I’m not sure why, but at the time when I first became familiar with them, I used to think that Orgy was a British electronic rock band, but it was only fairly recently that I learned the truth about

their real origins. Like some of my favourite bands of that era, Orgy was formed in the mid nineties. At the time it was only Amir Derakh the guitarist, Jay Gordon the vocalist and Ryan Shuck. Paige Haley and Bobby Hewitt joined shortly after. Then a couple years after they entire band came together their first studio album Candyass was released.

I first fell in love with Orgy because they were different from other bands that I was listening to at the time, and like the rest of my peers I thought for some reason that the vocalist Jay Gordon was hot. I loved their sound because even back then I liked to listen to house and different kinds of electronic dance music, while at the same time I loved to listen to rock, numetal and metal. Therefore, it felt amazing that another band separate and apart from Linkin Park had managed to fuse my two loves to create something unique. There was also the fact that they were my first introduction to industrial metal, which I continued to like some time after the band seemed to have gone on a very long hiatus.

Another reason why I loved Orgy was because I thought that there was something very overtly sexual about a lot of their music. I had indeed heard sexually explicit rap, hip hop, dancehall and soul songs at the time. However, there’s always something different when you actually hear a song that is very open with its sexuality in a genre that you actually like. Another reason why their music was so sexual was because I thought that Jay Gordon had a very sexy voice and demeanor, and the thing was that he never ever sounded as if he were trying too hard. This was why I ended up listening to songs ...

• Orgy (electronic rock band)
      such as “Stitches” tons of times, because there was just something sexy and irresistible about it.

I don’t really have a favourite album from Orgy, but I can say that the majority of my favourite songs from them so far have come from their debut album “Candyass”. There was “Stitches” that I mentioned, “Revival”, which they had done with Korn frontman Jonathan Davis, and there was also their cover of the 1988 song by New Order, “Blue Monday”.

I loved Blue Monday almost immediately because I loved the way that Orgy had managed to turn the sound of the song into a more modern electronic and rock fusion, while at the same time retaining their own musical style and making it obvious that it was a cover.

I also love singles such as “Grime of the Century”, which was a single that they released in 2012, and “Pure”, which was released in 2005.

However, the song that I’ve become obsessed with recently is their newest single, “Wide Awake and Dead”. The thing is I never even realized that they had released another song in 2014 and I stumbled up on it completely by accident recently. Unfortunately though, “Wide Awake and Dead” did not seem to draw as much attention as some of their previous songs did. Nevertheless, I still loved it because I thought that while their sound does seem a little more modern in it, I still think that they have retained as much of their original sound as possible. I also think all the members including Jay Gordon look pretty good and hot for their age.

If you are nostalgic for electronic and industrial rock and metal from back in the late nineties to early 2000s you might want to try listening to some of Orgy’s songs. They’ve always tried to maintain a fairly unique sound and style.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1423091649270230/k2311a0923/9.23.15