The Heir by Kiera Cass, 2015 Book  » Books  »
1.5
  • So, when I heard that the trilogy was being stretched into a five-part series, I was not impressed
  • There was, of course, one absolutely disgusting man who had been selected, but apart from him, I thought all the selected guys were lovely
  • I would recommend this book only to people who absolutely loved the previous three books in the series

• by turtledove

I’d already read the previous three books in ‘The Selection Series’, and I didn’t enjoy them. I didn’t particularly like the characters or the plot. So, when I heard that the trilogy was being stretched into a five-part series, I was not impressed. But I did read it, because I hoped that maybe Kass would somehow be able to repair the mess of the first three books.

I was very wrong.

The story in this book revolves around Eadlyn (Maxon and America’s child) and her selection. Eadlyn didn’t want a selection, but since the public of Illea were so angry and annoyed, the royal family decided that a selection would

be just the thing to calm the public down and show their public for the future queen. So, a selection was organised for Princess Eadlyn of Illea.

The main character was even more annoying than America - now that’s saying something. At least America didn’t complain about her situation all the time. yes, she did stupid things, but she didn’t whine about everything in spite of being in an incredible position. But our dear friend Eadlyn is one of a kind. She’s about to be queen, and she’s about to rule a country and help the people, and all the can do is whine about it.

Apparently America and Maxon had broken all previous rules of the throne of Illea by declaring Eadlyn the heir of the country; and instead of being thankful and happy about being able to take up the most important job of the country, Eadlyn is mad that she’s being ‘forced into the position, and would much rather have her brother Ahren take up the throne. She also likes making lots of references to how much work being the heir of Illea is, but in reality she spends most of her time ordering people around or sketching dresses.

Eadlyn also thinks it’s totally okay to treat absolutely everybody around her terribly. She doesn’t seem to ...

• The Heir by Kiera Cass, 2015 Book
      respect anybody: not maid, not the men participating in the selection, not her ‘closest friend’, not her brother, and not even her own parents. This girl is plain disrespectful, and I honestly couldn’t stand her.

The side characters were alright, thankfully. Eadlyn’s brother, Ahren, is a much more bearable character. He would have been a far better heir to the throne than his annoying and stupid sister, and he actually seems to work quite hard during the book. I also really did like the suitors for Eadlyn (although she didn’t deserve even one of them). There was, of course, one absolutely disgusting man who had been selected, but apart from

him, I thought all the selected guys were lovely.

The plot was a little interesting though. I did like how the book progressed, and the developments in the selection were actually quite amusing. I wasn’t really taking it seriously, but I did still find it quite entertaining.

Overall, I didn’t enjoy this book. I couldn’t stand the main character, and that ruined the entire book for me. I would have wanted more from other characters rather than just more and more of annoying Eadlyn. I would recommend this book only to people who absolutely loved the previous three books in the series; otherwise I wouldn’t suggest this to anybody.

Valeria says :

I absolutely loved it, I personally think, that Eadlyn it’s a bit bitchy but I loved her, i also loved what Maxon and America did about Eadlyn being the heir, because she was older instead oh her brother.

turtledove replies :

Fair enough, it’s a matter of opinion. I couldn’t bring myself to like her.
I do agree - I like that Maxon and America let her become heir, and didn’t ruin her chances just because she was a girl. However, I just thought Eadlyn didn’t really appreciate it enough, and I just thought she whined a bit too much

Andrew Leaither says :

Sometimes it make you feel good when you are wrong about something and still get to enjoy reading a book. It just goes to show that even when we star to read a book we often jump to wrong conclusions about it or have wrong opinions about it but I liked the review and think I will consider this book.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1721091649191230/k2311a0921/9.21.15