Poltergeist (2015 supernatural horror movie)  » Movies  »
2.5
  • In my experience remakes, like sequels don't always turn out very well
  • That is why I wasn't exactly rushing to see it once I found out that the 2015 remake of the popular 1982 supernatural horror movie Poltergeist
  • While the parents seem optimistic and think of it as a new beginning, the children are disappointed that they had to leave their friends, old house and everything else that they knew behind
  • I still haven't watched the original Poltergeist film, so I can't say that the first one was better, but I think that I do have the authority to say that this one wasn't that great

by Redtape

In my experience remakes, like sequels don’t always turn out very well. That is why I wasn’t exactly rushing to see it once I found out that the 2015 remake of the popular 1982 supernatural horror movie Poltergeist. However, I found myself singing a different tune once another horror movie fan swore by it. Nevertheless, when I watched the remake I was by no means as enthused by it as my recommender.
  • Poltergeist (2015 supernatural horror movie)
  • As I mentioned before the 2015 movie Poltergeist is a remake of Steven Spielberg’s 1982 film. In the movie the Bowen family moves into a new house in the suburbs that has fallen in the parents’ price range. While the parents seem optimistic and think of it as a new beginning, the children are disappointed that they had to leave their friends, old house and everything else that they knew behind.

Soon after the family has moved in, the two younger children begin to experience strange phenomena, but they are met with skepticism when they try to tell their parents.

One night the parents leave their children at home to attend a dinner leaving their teenage daughter, Kendra in charge. While the Bowens find out that their house was built on what was once an old cemetery, supernatural entities attack their children and kidnap their younger daughter, Madison. The strange crime forces the family to seek help from a rather unconventional source.

• Poltergeist (2015 supernatural horror movie)
  • I still haven’t watched the original Poltergeist film, so I can’t say that the first one was better, but I think that I do have the authority to say that this one wasn’t that great.

Let me get this straight, I loved the entire concept of a little girl being kidnapped by supernatural entities, because I have to admit that there is something frightening about that. However, I think that the movie’s failure to impress was a result of a combination of a plot like that being a little too cliche for modern desensitised audiences, along with the way in which it was filmed and the actors who were hired to play the main roles.

For example, the little girl who played Madison seems as if she has a lot of potential for an actress her age. At the same time though, I have seen clips of the actress from the original and I felt that there was definitely something more creepy and memorable about her.

Therefore, I didn’t think that child actress who played Madison was as creepy and effective after she finishes talking to the supernatural presence in the television and announces to her family in the 1982 movie’s famous line, “They’re here!”

• Poltergeist (2015 supernatural horror movie)
  • Another actor who I was also not very impressed with was the actor Jared Harris, who played the role of the esteemed occult specialist and TV personality, Carrigan Burke. I’ve seen Mr. Harris in a few other movies but I think that his performance in this one didn’t showcase any of his talent, and helped to cheapen an already doomed movie.

• Poltergeist (2015 supernatural horror movie)
  • As previously mentioned, even though the movie is supposed to be a remake, I believe that one of the main reasons why it didn’t translate as well as a 2015 audience is because the ideas weren’t fresh. It’s been over thirty years since the original Poltergeist movie was released, and the reason why audiences flocked to it at the time and it quickly became a classic, was because there weren’t many films like it back then.

However, this generation of supernatural horror movie fans have seen too many horror movie with similar plots to be impressed by this one, remake or not. We’re too desensitised by the creepy dolls and creepy little girls and haunted houses to actually be taken by another. Therefore I keep thinking that maybe, just maybe they should not have done a remake.

• Poltergeist (2015 supernatural horror movie)
  • Lastly, I just was not impressed with the physical design of the supernatural entities. While watching the movie I had gotten anxious at one point thinking that they were going to show the spirits on screen.

I had it in my head that they would be so frightening that I’m going to have problems sleeping, but actually since them on screen was extremely anticlimatic. They did not scare me at all.

If you loved the original Poltergeist films, you probably should not taint your memories by watching this one. I think the remake’s failure is proof that some movies are better left alone.

Duttatraya chatterjee says :

It is not obvious that a remake of a movie will always a better than the previous… Like in the case of poltergeist it get the imdb rating of 5 where as the previous one got 7.4…which were released in 1982…There is no connection that every horror movie will be unnatural but this movie don’t have any connetion with this world.. In childhood we all knew that ghost are afraid of light but in this movie the ghost itself producing light…

Rumba says :

I cannot remember any remake of a scary movie, which was better than the original. In the case of “Poltergeist” (2015) - despite the visual effects, the level of acting and emotional fearness is nothing in comparison with its 1982 “parent”. The 1982 movie is an absolute winner.

Andrew Leith says :

I thought the movie “Poltergeist” was very well made movie. The movie director, Jill Kenan did a superb job and Sam Rockwell who played Eric Bowan played his part very well. There was a lot of chemistry between the actors. I thought the movie was gripping, exciting and very intense and had a great finale and ending.

Leslie Ann Hunter says :

Who are the members of her family that was responded to by Carol-Anne after she was captured on the other side?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1115091649020630/k2311a0915/9.15.15