Troye Sivan - Wild (EP Track-by-Track )  » Music  »
  • Definitely one of my favorites from the record
  • I like how it is almost a reminiscent of his previous song Touch in terms of the construction of the song
  • And probably my favorite from the whole record
  • Maybe it will grow on me in the upcoming days but for now I don't like it just yet

• by Laudemhir Jan Parel

I have been a fan of Troye Sivan since his early days in YouTube! Just a little background for those who are new to him, Troye Sivan is a popular YouTube blogger from Australia, he’s still young and he’s openly gay.

He released his first EP (short for extended play) titled “TRXYE” last year and it immediately caught my attention and finally telling myself Troye has a huge potential in the world of music!

His latest EP, this one “Wild” includes 6 tracks namely: “Wild”, “Bite”, “Fools”, “Ease” ft. BROODS, “The Quiet”, and “DKLA” ft. Tkay Maidza.

The first track, the title track “Wild” is seriously a great opener! I was immediately captivated by the “wa-ah-ah-ild” chants at the beginning of the song! This is a really catchy offering from Troye! The lyrics talk about being in a relationship that is forbidden.

As I said earlier Troye is openly gay so this one is basically an autobiographical song. I am seriously astonished by the production of the song, it’s atmospheric and chilly!Definitely one of my favorites from the record.

The second track is called “Bite”. To me, it feels like the darkest song in the album despite it being hidden in a very light and lullaby-ish production! I like how it is almost a reminiscent of his previous song “Touch” in terms of the construction of the song. That is to say, a verse then a short chorus and boom! an explosive drop beat. This is the most instant song to me, I loved it the first time I listen to it, probably because of the lightness that the song exudes.

Third is “Fools”. I am seriously loving the beginning of the song, especially the piano part because it feels like it is a ballad. But a couple verses later, the drums and synths kick in and you’re in for a nice midtempo treat! This is certainly the catchiest track in the album, and the production of the chorus of the song screams “radio-friendly”. This song has grown so much to me to be honest, especially when I read and understood the lyrics. It talks about being in love with someone you can’t have and it hurts because a lot of us can actually relate to it!

A collaboration with New Zealand duo BROODS called “Ease” is the EP’s fourth track. And probably my favorite from the whole record! It was a letdown at first because I was expecting a very huge and anthemic song but I am glad of what I got!

• Troye Sivan - Wild (EP Track-by-Track )
      The song’s strength certainly relies on the song content, it talks about travelling to places and having to deal with fame and being caught up in all of the things that are not usual in a normal life, and Troye struggles because he just wants to be in his home right now. I am relating to all of this because I always felt homesick every now and then. Now I have something to listen to everytime I feel alone and sad! BROODS definitely adds some flavor to the song, and thanks to this song I’ve discovered someone new!

“The Quiet” comes up next, nothing much to talk about this song, it is definitely “filler-material” for my taste. That is to say, the song was just added so that the album could have a longer running time. It just doesn’t do

anything to me. Maybe it will grow on me in the upcoming days but for now I don’t like it just yet!

“DKLA” ft. Tkay Maidza is the album’s closer and certainly the worst song on the album. I hate how the first 4 tracks were huge standouts and the remaining two were such letdowns! Apart from the fact that the girl rapping in this song has got some swagger in here, this song just doesn’t go nowhere!

So, just in case you’re wondering what to listen right now, give Troye Sivan’s new EP a spin! You’ll be surprised how a YouTuber has managed to make such a good mini-album without being too try-hard! Despite the fact that there are lapses at the end of the record, the EP still manages to shine and should definitely put Troye in the spotlight!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1411091648861030/k2311a0911/9.11.15