The Age of Adaline (2015) - Movie  » Movies  »
  • I found out about The Age of Adaline while scrolling through an article cataloguing new 2015 movie releases
  • I never saw the trailer but I decided to see this movie because I recognized the actress on the movie poster
  • I know Blake Lively from the TV show Gossip Girl and the film adaptation of the novel The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
  • This can of course be attributed to the age she grew up in, the years she has lived and her experience
  • Those were some interesting moments where I got to see the character in the context of history spanning several decades

by Dee

I found out about The Age of Adaline while scrolling through an article cataloguing new 2015 movie releases. I never saw the trailer but I decided to see this movie because I recognized the actress on the movie poster. I know Blake Lively from the TV show Gossip Girl and the film adaptation of the novel The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. The Age of Adaline seemed like a movie and a role I haven’t seen Blake Lively in yet. I must say that her performance as the title character carried this movie for me. She did really well and I believed in her character.
  • The Age of Adaline (2015) - Movie
  • Adaline Bowman stopped aging when she was 29 years old. The movie follows her struggles through life as she is forced to move and leave people behind in order to keep her secret. Her agelessness begins when she survives a car accident and it carries on for eight decades. The Age of Adaline is primarily a drama that explores love, mortality and existentialism in fantastic circumstances.

• The Age of Adaline (2015) - Movie
  • Adaline’s daughter Flemming is the only person that knows her secret. It was lovely seeing Ellen Burstyn in that role. There is a scene in which they meet for lunch after a long time and it was just heartbreaking to watch. I can only imagine how wretched it would feel for a mother to stay a young woman and see her little girl grow old and gray. Her daughter is technically her senior and seems aware she will leave this world before her mother. I could feel her need to be secure in the knowledge that her mother won’t be alone when she’s no longer there for her.

• The Age of Adaline (2015) - Movie
  • Adaline is guarded and lonely because of her situation and seems determined to not let anyone in. She made a mistake a long time ago by getting involved with a young man. They fell in love but he meant to propose to her and she had to run. She will face her ghosts when she meets Ellis and he brings her along for a weekend with his parents. That was a well executed twist no matter how predictable. I must say I didn’t really see it coming. Keep an eye out for Harrison Ford though.

• The Age of Adaline (2015) - Movie
  • Blake Lively’s performance just adds a dimension of depth that doesn’t let this movie fall flat. It made me care and it inspired honest emotion. It does feel a bit like an ode to the character of Adaline whose only flaw is the fact that she cannot grow old. She was considered to be a remarkable woman by one character, and anyone that comes across her is completely smitten by her demeanor and knowledge of historical facts. This can of course be attributed to the age she grew up in, the years she has lived and her experience. Also, the viewer sees everything through Adaline and I couldn’t help but connect with her character.

• The Age of Adaline (2015) - Movie
  • I liked the use of narration and the way Adaline’s past was presented. Those were some interesting moments where I got to see the character in the context of history spanning several decades. Those moments dealt with her personal history as well, and they were both melancholy and a source of heartache.

I doubt this movie will blow your mind but it was really great and enjoyable overall. Also, Blake Lively was a joy to watch. If you’re in the mood for romance and drama, don’t miss this one. See it especially if you’re a fan of Blake Lively and if you enjoy movies like The Time Traveler’s Wife, The Notebook and About Time.

Cassie Lorenzi says :

I remember when I first came across this movie I was really intrigued by it, mostly because of the posters for the movie in theaters. It was also because of Blake Lively, I remembered seeing her in Savages,Sisterhood of the traveling pants, The Town and more. This movie was absolutely breathtaking to me and I appreciated the good acting. Hearing what the story is based upon you’d most likely think to yourself things about how glamorous it’d be to live so long. When you actually watch the movie, you come to realize it’d actually be a lonely life to live. It really makes you appreciate the life we all have for as long as we have it.

Dee replies :

I share your feelings. As the story unfolded I saw less and less glamour in my fantasies of what it’d be like to stay young and live forever. The thing is, you wouldn’t live that way independent of the world around you. I realized that what kept happening to Adaline would probably happen to anyone in that situation. The decision to keep it all a secret would’ve been the only way anyone could hold on to some semblance of normalcy. So you’d get to live forever, but you’d have to do it alone. That goes against our basic human needs to connect and be known to others in a meaningful way. It made me appreciate the people close to me because I have no reason to push them away and I risk nothing by reaching out. For her sake and for the sake of her daughter, Adaline couldn’t do that.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 119091648810330/k2311a099/9.9.15