Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire, 2011 Book  » Books  »
1.0
  • I was put off it quite a lot after hearing what some other people had thought of it, but I thought I should read it myself and make my own decision
  • Beautiful Disaster is about Abby Abernathy, a good girl who tries to stay away from any trouble, and Travis Maddox, in other words, someone who Abby should definitely be steering clear of
  • Honestly, I think almost any male character would have looked good beside Travis
  • Abby treats Parker horribly, which I found very annoying
  • I wouldn't recommend this book to anybody

• by turtledove

A friend had strongly recommended this book to me, so I went to the library and picked it up. I was put off it quite a lot after hearing what some other people had thought of it, but I thought I should read it myself and make my own decision.

Beautiful Disaster is about Abby Abernathy, a good girl who tries to stay away from any trouble, and Travis Maddox, in other words, someone who Abby should definitely be steering clear of. After a simple bet, Abby ends up stuck in Travis’ apartment for a month.

I completely understood the disaster side of

this book. Travis is a complete mess, and he didn’t even seem to me like a good guy underneath (as Abby sees him). He takes her to incredibly dangerous places, he drags her out of her dates, he thinks it’s okay for him to control exactly what she wears, he leads her on only to have relationships with other women, he calls her a nickname she loathes, he follows her almost everywhere, and at some points Abby actually hides from Travis until he ‘calmed down’.

I didn’t understand how in the world Abby fell in love with him. This guy was more like a creepy, over-possessive, jealous and violent stalker. I didn’t like him in the book at all. I mean, he was attractive. But that’s where the list of his good qualities ends.

Abby was an alright character herself, but why she puts up with Travis and his nonsense is a total mystery. I also have absolutely no idea why her friends encourage her to love such a horrible person. Why does she stay with a guy like that? How did she not completely lose her mind? How in the world did she fall in LOVE with him?

How can you love someone ...

• Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire, 2011 Book
      who treats you like that?

There was also a love triangle in this book. Abby also briefly ‘dates’ Parker: a rich, intelligent guy who wants to be a medical student. McGuire tries to present him as a total idiot, but I actually liked him. Honestly, I think almost any male character would have looked good beside Travis. Abby treats Parker horribly, which I found very annoying.

The love triangle in this book was very strange and unnecessary. We didn’t need Travis. The book could have just been about Abby and Parker, if you ask me. Travis absolutely disgusted me. Abby definitely deserved

far far better.

There was also absolutely no plot in this book. It was pretty much about how Travis kept trying to get into a relationship with Abby and then keeps messing it up himself. And there were the odd few scenes of Parker thrown in. There was barely any structure to the whole thing.

Overall, I didn’t enjoy this book at all. I couldn’t bear the ‘most attractive’ character in the book, and Travis and Abby’s love was completely unjustified to me. The only two things I liked about this book were the cover and Parker. I wouldn’t recommend this book to anybody.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 178091648710530/k2311a098/9.8.15