Slated by Teri Terry, 2012 Book  » Books  »
  • The reason I picked this book up was because it seemed so interesting
  • The whole concept of 'slating' criminals (erasing their memories) in order to give them a second chance in life was something I found really intriguing
  • I would have enjoyed this book a lot more if there was more action like there was at the end during more of the book
  • I would recommend this book to anybody who likes young adult fiction or mystery and is willing to read a trilogy

• by turtledove

The reason I picked this book up was because it seemed so interesting. The whole concept of ’slating’ criminals (erasing their memories) in order to give them a second chance in life was something I found really intriguing.

The book is about Kyla, a girl who was apparently previously a terrorist and has now been slated to have a second chance. She now knows absolutely nothing about her past: who she was, where she lived, or who she knew. She’s

now with a new family in a new place, starting afresh.

But, unlike others who have been slated, Kyla’s past lingers in her mind, and something isn’t right.

I actually liked Kyla. She did what she wanted, and although she didn’t have a very strong personality, it was completely justified, since her whole past was erased. I did like how Kyla handled her whole situation, and unlike many other young adult female protagonists, I liked her. She had some common sense.

However, the plot was a little too slow. I would have enjoyed this book a lot more if there was more action like there was at the end during more of the book. There were a few interesting scenes, no doubt, but it felt like all the ‘good stuff’ had been crammed in right at the end, and there could have been more gripping scenes spread out over the book.

I also liked the love interest: Ben. He wasn’t a typical young ...

• Slated by Teri Terry, 2012 Book
      adult love interest, and the relationship between Kyla and Ben did make sense. They did have things in common, and they bonded over things. It didn’t feel strange to read about whatsoever, and I did like the romantic aspect to the book.

The other side characters were quite good - like Kyla’s foster parents and her foster sister Amy (who has also been slated). They weren’t simple straight good or bad characters, and I liked that they had some complexity. I

wasn’t sure who to trust throughout the book, and there was a strong mysterious element going on.

Overall, although the plot wasn’t exactly a winner, I did like this book. The characters and a few things that happened during the book did keep me hooked, and the ending was quite good as well. The first book really did lead me onto the second book. I would recommend this book to anybody who likes young adult fiction or mystery and is willing to read a trilogy.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 173091648580530/k2311a093/9.3.15