Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi, 2014 Book (Shatter Me #3)  » Books  »
2.5
  • I thought Shatter Me was actually a relatively good young adult novel, but Unravel Me had completely ruined the trilogy
  • If anybody properly knows her, it's definitely him
  • Overall, I think this book is an improvement on the second one, but it still didn't impress me
  • I would recommend this book to somebody who really likes romance, as there were a few good romantic scenes, or if after reading books one and two you're 'Team Warner'

• by turtledove

After reading Shatter Me and Unravel Me, I didn’t think twice before picking up the last instalment to the trilogy. I thought Shatter Me was actually a relatively good young adult novel, but Unravel Me had completely ruined the trilogy. So, the main reason for me reading Ignite Me was the hope that Juliette would go with the right guy.

In this book, Juliette finally becomes the cool character I wanted her to become in the second book. One book late, but I don’t mind. Finally she decides to take control of her own life and make her own decisions, and she finally knows what she’s doing.

BUT. She takes it way too

far. I wanted Juliette to become awesome and confident, yes, but she became seriously overconfident. Suddenly she thinks that she’s strong enough to rule and help everybody? She honestly thinks she’s sensible and mature enough for that?

I don’t think so, Juliette.

When we come to the romantic side to the book, Adam and Warner had a serious personality swap. Adam became a jealous, irritating, horrible, rude, disrespectful idiot, while Warner suddenly became a caring, respecting, loving man. There wasn’t even a hint of this random personality from Adam in the first two books, but suddenly he transformed into the exact opposite. If Mafi really wanted Juliette to go to Warner, that’s fine, but she didn’t have to completely ruin Adam’s character for that reason! It seemed like Adam had become an absolutely despicable character just to make Warner look good, and to justify Juliette’s final choice.

It just felt completely wrong and random, and I absolutely hated it.

Another irritating thing about this book was the lack of female characters apart from Juliette. Somehow, she’s always amongst only guys, and she’s never really with any girl at any point. She’s either with Warner, or Adam, or Kenji, or James. I understand that she has many friends who happen to be guys (or just a couple of love interests), but Mafi could have attempted to ...

• Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi, 2014 Book (Shatter Me #3)
      throw in a little female interaction.

Kenji was again one of the few characters I actually liked, and I would really have liked more from him in the book rather than more about Juliette. Quite frankly, it would have made far more sense if Juliette went with Kenji. If Adam didn’t understand Juliette (as she claims so much), then how does Warner? This heroine confesses almost everything to Kenji. If anybody properly knows her, it’s definitely him.

The plot was not too bad in this book, however, like the previous book, I wanted more reality. I wanted to know more about the war. There was just too much romance in this book, and it

really did ruin it a little for me.

Overall, I think this book is an improvement on the second one, but it still didn’t impress me. The ending disappointed me: when it came to both the romantic and war aspects of the trilogy. I disliked how Juliette felt she could take control, and I absolutely hated how Adam’s character was completely wrecked. I would recommend this book to somebody who really likes romance, as there were a few good romantic scenes, or if after reading books one and two you’re ‘Team Warner’. If you liked Adam in the first and second books, I definitely would not recommend this reading the final instalment of the Shatter Me trilogy.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 172091648570130/k2311a092/9.2.15