Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi, 2013 Book, (Shatter Me #2)  » Books  »
2.0
  • The first book of this trilogy was one of the few young adult fiction books I actually enjoyed
  • The plot and writing weren't good either, and overall I was really disappointed
  • I think it's better to just be happy having read only the first book rather than read about Juliette's messy opinions

• by turtledove

The first book of this trilogy was one of the few young adult fiction books I actually enjoyed. For once, the girl wasn’t ridiculously indecisive and immature, and she didn’t do anything too stupid. So, I didn’t think twice before picking up the second book to the trilogy. I was ready for Juliette to develop into an awesome character who’s ready to take on everything.

I wish that was what had happened.

Sadly, the three main characters took a turn for the worse in this book. Warner got worse, but that’s okay by me

because I never really liked him much in the first place. I mean, I really like him as a villain, but as a love interest… No. He’s creepy and strange as a love interest.

Adam, who I actually loved in the first book, transformed into a strange, jealous and irritating guy who seems to enjoy annoying everybody. He was such a great character in the first book, but now he just becomes a jealous idiot.

Juliette, who I had really high hopes for, was ruined as well. She was one of the few young adult female protagonists who wasn’t dumb. I was sure that once she had escaped the evil clutches of Warner, she would be able to finally become the awesome character she was destined to be, Apparently not. Instead, Juliette spends almost the whole book crying about her own destiny, feeling sorry for herself and trying to pick between Adam and Warner. I mean, isn’t the choice a little bit obvious? Someone who actually loves her and has a reason to, compared to a psychotic creep?

Apparently even that’s a difficult decision for Juliette.

The only characters I liked ...

• Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi, 2013 Book, (Shatter Me #2)
      in the book were Kenji (Adam’s best friend) and James (Adam’s younger brother). They didn’t do stupid things, and they acted relatively sensibly. However, although I liked them, they weren’t unique characters in any way. Kenji and James are just two stereotypical characters who I’ve seen in so many other books.

The plot was rather disappointing as well. As I mentioned earlier, Juliette spends most of the book moping around. There wasn’t enough about the actual fights, and I wanted to know more about the war and the fighting rather than hearing about Juliette’s sob

stories and her odd attraction towards both Adam and Warner. There was neither war nor actual romance: just a strange cross between. I wanted to know more about what was happening, and less about Juliette’s ridiculous and annoying thoughts.

Overall, this book was not good. Every character I had started to like in the first book became one I hated. The plot and writing weren’t good either, and overall I was really disappointed. I wouldn’t recommend this to anybody: I think it’s better to just be happy having read only the first book rather than read about Juliette’s messy opinions.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 172091648530130/k2311a092/9.2.15