The One by Kiera Cass, 2014 Book (The Selection #3)  » Books  »
1.5
  • Another thing I hated about the plot was that Cass killed off one of my favourite characters
  • I would only recommend this book to someone who has finished the second book, just so that the poor soul can finally stop reading anything else about America Singer and Maxon (unless, of course, they want to read the random unnecessary fourth and fifth books in the series

• by turtledove

So, I’d already finished the first and second book of ‘The Selection’ series. Although I was already certain as to what the ending would be, I knew I had to finish it. I couldn’t have just left it in the middle like that. In spite of the low quality of the previous two books, I did take this out at the library, with a slight glimmer of hope that this novel may prove me wrong.

Since this is the final novel in the series that describes Maxon’s selection (of course, not to forget that there are two more wonderful books about the future heir of Illea and her selection), I was ready to finally find out who Maxon would choose (although, in reality, the book is actually

about who America chooses). Quite frankly, I felt like this book wasn’t even necessary: the end of this book could have been easily put into the second book,and the strange rebellion, terrorist angle to the book could have easily avoided.

But, of course, how could it be that easy: this selection had to be at least three books, necessary or not.

Although Maxon and America had slightly improved in the second book, they deteriorated for this novel. Maxon is useless, stupid, and terrifyingly uninformed about this country he’s meant to be ruling soon. He’s nothing like King material. He seems to do absolutely nothing for the country. He spends most of his time trying to either convince himself that he’s in charge of himself, or spending time with ‘his girls’, or being told off by America. He’s supposedly getting closer and closer to being a King, but he doesn’t even act like any other mature guy of his age, forget acting like a Prince.

Now we come to America. She still hasn’t really built up from a selfish, indecisive immature girl who came to this competition just to make her ex-boyfriend feel bad (yes, that’s pretty much why she even started this thing). She talks like a child, and the way she talks about the other ‘competitors’ in the selection was absolutely awful. I would have hoped that by the end of the selection she would have matured at least a little, but somehow America just never seems to grow up, whatever is thrown at her.

This ...

• The One by Kiera Cass, 2014 Book (The Selection #3)
      book in the series had the most developed but most ridiculous plot. All the other books were just about Maxon storming around trying to pick someone while America sulked and tried to make her mind up. This book did actually have a little more violence and reality amongst all the pretty dresses, and some sort of proper ending compared to the random, toned down endings to the other two. However, although there was more content, it was poorly organised. Cass’ writing didn’t really improve at all, and often some of the problems that the characters were facing were sorted out by just killing off the people in their way. Another thing I hated about the plot was that Cass killed off one of my favourite characters. Actually, she
      was pretty much the only character I didn’t hate from the three books I’ve read so far. So you can imagine, I was pretty irritated.

Overall, I didn’t enjoy this book at all. It was a little bit better than the mess of the first book, but it worsened from the second book, and the book ended in a predictable and easy way. Maxon and America didn’t really fight for anything, although Cass tries very hard to make it look like they did.I would only recommend this book to someone who has finished the second book, just so that the poor soul can finally stop reading anything else about America Singer and Maxon (unless, of course, they want to read the random unnecessary fourth and fifth books in the series!).

Valeria says :

I personally didn’t like the book that much, but I think it was very obvious that Maxon was going to choose America, but now the thing is who’s America going to choose, but despite that I wasn’t surprised with the end.

turtledove replies :

I completely agree - it was pretty predictable. I thought the book completely lacked a surprise element.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1728081648430731/k2311a0828/8.28.15