300: Rise of an Empire (fantasy action movie)  » Movies  »
2.5
  • While I do agree with that to an extent, my beef is a little different
  • Despite the fact that the movie didn't seem to get a lot of great reviews, one thing I definitely knew for sure was that there were a lot of really great actors involved in the making of it
  • There were actors like Eva Green, Lena Headey, Peter Mensah and Jack O'Connell playing some of the main roles, and all of them did amazing jobs with their characters as expected
  • However, as usual I think one of the persons who stood out the most to me was the actress Eva Green who portrayed the character Artemisia
  • However, enjoying it isn't impossible, since the acting is still pretty great and the story of Artemisia is interesting

by Redtape

I delayed watching the movie “300: Rise of an Empire” for two main reasons. The first was that I’d become very wary of sequels, since they generally don’t live up to the expectations of the viewer. The second reason was because I heard it wasn’t very good at all. After seeing it on cable television I’ve come to the conclusion that I wasn’t very far off. It wasn’t as exciting and unique as the first movie, but at the same time it still wasn’t as terrible as I had expected.
  • 300: Rise of an Empire (fantasy action movie)
  • When watching the movie “300: Rise of an Empire” it’s important to note that most of what is going on is taking place at the same time that King Leonidas and his 300 Spartans are preparing to go to war with the Persians. Themistocles, an Athenian General, holds a council with the leaders of several Greek nations because he realizes that the only way to thwart the Persian invasion is for Greece to unite. However, he also understands that before they can fight Xerxes, they would also encounter other deadly foes.

One of these foes is the naval commander Artemisia, a powerful and deadly woman whose combat skill and lust for vengeance makes her undefeated.

• 300: Rise of an Empire (fantasy action movie)
  • I don’t know a lot about Ancient Greek history, so I’m not exactly sure which aspects of the movie were true and which ones weren’t, but like a lot of people I wasn’t very satisfied with the plot. Most people claimed that the plot was not as riveting as the first movie, to the point where it was just simply hard to get through. While I do agree with that to an extent, my beef is a little different.

I just didn’t like how everything ended with Artemisia. It reminded me in a sense of Severine’s story in the movie Skyfall, where Bond slept with her character, a former child sex slave, and then she was murdered by Silva. The end. No redemption, no nothing.

Even though the Persians were supposed to be the antagonists, I wanted Artemisia to have her vengeance against the men and the country who raped and discarded her. I felt it was her right to have that, and I was angry that she didn’t even have that in the end.

• 300: Rise of an Empire (fantasy action movie)
  • There was also something about the movie’s visuals that didn’t leave room for it to be as stunning as its prequel. I remember one of the reasons why a lot of people including myself liked the movie “300″ was because it was filmed in such a way that it appeared as if a graphic novel had come to life. While this movie does try to emulate the style in some respect, it does not translate to be half as dramatic. Instead there are times when it feels almost lazy, half done and cheap.

• 300: Rise of an Empire (fantasy action movie)
  • I also couldn’t understand why there weren’t a lot more adrenaline packed action scenes since this movie was supposed to be based on an epic war. Before I started watching it, I figured that most of the movie might just be one giant battle scene, especially since some of the movie was supposed to be set during the Persian invasion and after King Leonidas and the 300 Spartans died.

However, even though it seemed to get a lot of good reviews about the action at least, I still didn’t think it had enough. I also felt that the battle and action scenes that were included in the movie could have been a teensy bit more impressive, shocking and memorable.

• 300: Rise of an Empire (fantasy action movie)
  • Despite the fact that the movie didn’t seem to get a lot of great reviews, one thing I definitely knew for sure was that there were a lot of really great actors involved in the making of it. There were actors like Eva Green, Lena Headey, Peter Mensah and Jack O’Connell playing some of the main roles, and all of them did amazing jobs with their characters as expected.

However, as usual I think one of the persons who stood out the most to me was the actress Eva Green who portrayed the character Artemisia. I think that her role in this movie proves once again that she has a knack for playing strange, eccentric and broken characters who are also beautiful and intimidating.

If you liked the previous movie “300″, you might find yourself disappointed in “300: Rise of an Empire”. However, enjoying it isn’t impossible, since the acting is still pretty great and the story of Artemisia is interesting.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1128081648380731/k2311a0828/8.28.15